Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Moving soon

(64 Posts)
Moneyboss Fri 20-Oct-17 18:42:32

Apart from the obvious declutter, has anyone any tips on making a house move as smooth as possible. Have any of you experience of things that have made the packing easier and the actual moving day run smoothly?

Moneyboss Fri 10-Nov-17 18:26:59

several a wine in front of your TV is all I can suggest

My thoughts exactly, I bought a bottle this afternoon, bet there's none left tomorrow grin

cornergran Fri 10-Nov-17 18:37:29

I’m so sorry moneyboss. Enjoy the wine. Then onwards. It must be so frustrating.

J52 Fri 10-Nov-17 18:43:19

How awful, you must be devastated. I hope another buyer comes along soon.
Were you hoping to exchange and complete on the same day?

Moneyboss Fri 10-Nov-17 19:04:15

We had said we wouldn't exchange and complete on the same day and had been led to believe that all parties would have signed the week before, but obviously not the case. angry

J52 Fri 10-Nov-17 19:30:58

So sorry, there are some very unscrupulous people out there. Over the years, we’ve had just about every house buying/ selling trick played on us. Not nice.
Make sure you have a good Christmas, regardless.

sara4 Fri 10-Nov-17 20:20:38

Would also agree with those who advised you stay at a b&b or an hotel. You can have breakfast there and then you are all set for the day. I did think of calling our new abode 'The pint pot' Good luck to all who are currently moving!

UforUserName Tue 05-Dec-17 12:38:08

I agree with all of you, especially with phoenix on labeling the boxes.

Once I moved without labeling and it was a disaster! I couldn't find anything.

Also, a friend of mine who has troubles with holding items in her hands, used her Dymo LabelWriter 450 to label the boxes and make sure to always know where her things are.

If someone is interested, she and I strongly recommend it!

It can also help you label your mail and make the sending of Christmas cards this year easier. That's what I'm going to do!

humptydumpty Tue 05-Dec-17 13:01:30

IMO most important thing: take all important documents (passport, driving licence etc.) and put them into a separate bag/box and carry them with you on the day.

Fennel Tue 05-Dec-17 13:50:01

I've got that on a separate list,*humptydumpty*.
Imagine if the removals people packed them up and went off with them shock
Especially as we're moving from one country to another.

petra Tue 05-Dec-17 17:19:41

Fennel
I hope your move from one country to another goes better than ours.
The person driving the Lorry decided to abandon the Lorry in Budapest!
Nightmare doesn't come close to it.

Fennel Tue 05-Dec-17 18:16:39

Oh no! Another thing to worry about.
How did you get round that problem, Petra? I assume you did get round it.

petra Wed 06-Dec-17 09:24:54

Fennel
When the day came that the Lorry should have arrived I phoned the shipping agents in the uk, obviously they didn't know what was happening.
I phoned our estate agent ( the only person we had contact with in Bulgaria. She was very friendly with the chief of police in our town. The town we were living in was the port where our goods would be custom cleared.
The policeman just happened to know a customs agent, but he was in Israel.
I phoned the customs agent and he said he would be home in a few days.
He found the Lorry in Budapest. He then got a driver to go to Budapest and then drive it onto Bulgaria.
When I asked him how he found the Lorry.all he said was: you don't want to know wink

midgey Wed 06-Dec-17 10:47:51

Money boss I hope life is improving a bit for you.