Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How would you get past this...?

(60 Posts)
Fairydoll2030 Sun 22-Oct-17 18:30:42

If a close inlaw family member wrote to you and your DH accusing you both of things you had never done, or even thought of doing, denigrated your character and finished by saying they wanted to make it clear that they had only ever been civil to you because of a young child you all have a mutual interest in. And then estranged themselves and you never heard another word. What would you do? We did nothing . We were in shock and we didn't want to escalate the situation.

Fast forward 18 months and you suddenly receive an invitation to Christmas dinner! No apology or explanation for what's gone before. You can't attend due to another commitment. Several months elapse and out of the blue you receive yet another invitation, this time to the inlaws birthday meal.

So how do you handle this? Could you be in their company knowing they are 'only being civil.'
Is that something you can say to someone and then expect them to act normally when they see you. This was a very important relationship and the inlaws behaviour has driven a bus through it. If DH and I had done anything to precipitate it we would hold up our hands. The fact remains we haven't. We are the 'victims' here and we really are struggling with moving forward.

Sorry about the cryptic nature of this post.

goodgran Mon 23-Oct-17 22:42:46

What a difficult situation. So I'm assuming you haven't seen your DGC in 18months either? That's awful. I do hope you find the strength to sort this out. Your son or daughter needs to step up to the plate too to sort tjis out

Fairydoll2030 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:56:34

I do see my DGC. That is facilitated by another family member. It's been difficult but it's been achieved.

pauline42 Tue 24-Oct-17 01:42:48

Not a chance that this "friendship" will ever recover let alone survive beyond this kind of verbal communication! Even if you did decide to let bygones be bygones and accept their latest invite, you would both be "walking on eggshells" throughout the event - it would be excruciating for you both to have subject yourselves to. People like this have very short memories and can "switch it on" then "switch it off" without one thought of the emotional mayhem they cause to other people. Be polite and decline any future invites gracefully - and from this point forward put as much distance as possible between you and this couple!

Madgran77 Tue 24-Oct-17 14:03:22

Anyas advice makes absolute sense. Politely make them take responsibility for their behaviour, depending on the conversation make your decision. Good luck

AmMaz Wed 25-Oct-17 09:45:20

By pulling up the draw-bridge you will close off any possibility of anything ever being healed and you will never get to the bottom of whatever was going on. And something clearly was going on - was somebody having a breakdown for example? People can say and do strange things in such extraordinary circumstances.

Somewhere along the line you might wish to broach it in a spirit of 'help me to understand' (the previous episode) - and you can still let them know how painful it was for you.

As you say, your post is somewhat cryptic, but it sounds to me as though it is a situation where you may have to be the 'bigger' person for the good of the greater number and show grace.
Good luck.

Bagatelle Wed 25-Oct-17 11:05:14

I'm all for healing rifts but just don't lend them any money.

AmMaz Wed 25-Oct-17 18:45:23

Absolutely Bagatelle! (I may have missed references to demands for money?)

Fairydoll2030 Wed 25-Oct-17 19:04:21

No money involved in this relationship. It's not 'they' - it's one person, an inlaw.

Nanawind Thu 26-Oct-17 09:34:37

I gather it's either a SIL of DIL from your post, I think it would be best to be the bigger person not for you but for the sake of an DGC involved. Do you want a rift for that child to witness.
It will be hard and you may never find out what or if you have ever done anything wrong, sometimes even a tone of word or look on someone's face can upset someone.
It happened in a similar way with our DIL (she never sent a letter) but stopped speaking or visiting for 9 months. We asked our DS if or what we had done wrong even he didn't know. So we both ignored this, DS brought the DGC'n to visit or spoke to them on the phone. Then all of a sudden she came to our home as though nothing had happened. Back to normal but I will keep this slight in the back of my mind.