Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Was I wrong ?

(117 Posts)
Mauriherb Mon 23-Oct-17 09:29:14

Yesterday, while in town, I needed the loo. I went into the public ones and there was no queue but all the cubicles were occupied except the disabled one, so I used that. When I came out a lady mumbled something about me not looking disabled so I pointed out that the door said "disabled" not "disabled only" which I assume means that anyone could use it. I certainly wouldn't have used it if a disabled person was behind me in the queue. My question is.... was I wrong to use the disabled loo ?

BGrannie1 Mon 23-Oct-17 11:02:54

If there is queue and you are at the end of it, I think you could safely assume that there is nobody in front of you who is disabled - who knows how soon someone who is might join the queue after you. .... However, my point is as somebody else mentioned, not all disabilities are visible & nobody has the right to comment on somebody else using those facilities unless they are certain that person is not disabled.

I had both knees replaced (at the same time) and for quite a while could not use normal toilets as they were too low & couldn't bend to sit. Was I truly disabled - no, but I did have to use the toilet, so for a time I used these toilets when I was out. I was only once commented upon when leaving the toilet that I wasn't disabled, I just looked at her and said 'How do you know?' it amused me greatly to see the embarrassment on her face. Never judge a book by its cover.

I would hasten to add that I've never had to use one since, but if I was desperate, I would. I'm sure fellow queuers would rather I did than left a puddle on the floor!

I think there is a big difference in using a disabled toilet to parking in a disabled/or mother & baby bay without a blue badge or a child. That is just selfish and lazy.

SunnySusie Mon 23-Oct-17 11:03:58

I used to work in construction and the regulations governing the provision of accessible toilets for people with disabilities allow for the toilets to be used by people without disabilities as well. This eases the cost for smaller businesses who can provide one single loo providing it caters for both groups. For example in garages, small food outlets, cafes etc. Toilets which cannot be used by everyone are provided under the RADAR scheme, which mostly exists to prevent vandalism, prostitution and drug taking which unfortunately take place because the loos are larger.

Coco51 Mon 23-Oct-17 11:05:59

The difference then, is just how selfish people are. If everyone takes the view that using disabled facilities to jump the queue is fine, what happens when a genuinely disabled person eg. someone with Crohns disease or someone who has to transfer from a wheelchair needs to get in there urgently? The purpose of disabled facilities is to assist disabled people to overcome the complications caused by their various conditions. If any of you ladies would like to swap your able-bodied condition to qualify as disabled and use these facilities you’d soon be grateful to wait in a queue

sarahellenwhitney Mon 23-Oct-17 11:16:30

I have an on going lower back problem which a MRI showed unlike a hip replacement was advised by a surgeon a difficult procedure and an op would not help or could make worse so its medication only. Toilets at my home have the facilities one sees in a disabled public toilet.Any one who observes me going into a disabled public toilet could assume I did not have a disablement.
Do I need to explain or wear a label? as I have been subjected to the ' you don't look disabled 'comment.

paddyann Mon 23-Oct-17 11:17:06

I'v spent 5 minutes or more in a disabled loo,I have colitis and I can be in the loo for a while if I have a bad bout.I dont look disabled ....because I'm not ,but I do have a condition that I would class as needing to use whatever loo is available and when I need to go I need to GO now .Anyone who wants to quiz we when I come out is welcome,the more people understand the condition the better

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 23-Oct-17 11:23:21

To those of you who think it is OK to use these loos, how would you feel if you came out to find someone who does need quick access because of their medical condition or disability?

Unless I thought I was going to have an 'accident' I would not use the disabled loo.

I have mixed feelings about the trend to put up signs saying not all disabilities are visible because it will encourage people without a disability to use the sign as an excuse to use these loos.

Granny23 Mon 23-Oct-17 11:28:52

I have been advised, by the Dementia support workers, to use the separate Disabled toilets (i.e. not in the Ladies or Gents) for myself and DH together after having 'lost' him numerous times when we have gone separately. This is a particular problem at theatres and other such venues who have these long runs of toilets with an entrance and exit at each end, because DH is bound to come out of the other exit no matter where I am waiting.

We do get some funny looks when we come out - I just giggle and leave the rest to their imagination grin

libra10 Mon 23-Oct-17 11:29:13

And don't mention the price of using the loo these days. 'Spending a penny' costs at least 40p in our nearest town!

Similar situations can occur with parent and child parking spaces. There often seem to be lots of empty spaces for parents and children, yet other drivers are queuing for a place to park.

dogsmother Mon 23-Oct-17 11:32:16

A toilet is a toilet, it’s that simple. 5e disabled ones are simply more accessible and easier to access for people with disabilities and certainly not to be sitting empty whilst people wait in a queue to use others.
Whilst we are on the subject, how about gender neutral in places now where toilets are kept regularly cleaned and monitored.

JenRen56 Mon 23-Oct-17 11:32:28

Charleygirl, I did the same thing. I was desperate for the loo and saw what I thought was a male loo and assumed that the other loo was for females, I was wrong! My husband pointed out my error when I came out and like you thankfully no one else was using the loo at the time. I will say in my defence that we were on a beach in South Africa and the signs weren't clear.

I will also use the disabled toilet in this country if there is a queue for the ladies and no one waiting to use the disabled.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 23-Oct-17 11:37:07

Coco51.I could get this operation to hopefully! alleviate my back problem if I were to travel to the U.S.
My relatives in the U.S have confirmed this as a much younger friend of theirs' did have this procedure.
I would willingly go private in the UK to have this op but as I had obtained a second opinion' privately' , after my NHS scan I would not dispute two different surgeons who advised against this as they could not guarantee it would be successful. I do have a vehicle blue badge so it appears I should now stick one of these on my person.

mags1234 Mon 23-Oct-17 11:45:21

Not all disabilities are visible! Common sense prevails. Disabled toilets have more space for wheelchairs etc and an emergency cord, that’s the difference . If no one is waiting ( disabled) then I think it’s fine. I cannot hold on very long due to a bladder condition which isn’t obvious. I consider myself bladder disabled!

vickymeldrew Mon 23-Oct-17 11:45:51

Common sense should prevail here surely. Just because a toilet is accessible shouldn’t mean it is only to be used by disabled people. Does that mean I should only use steps and not slopes and not touch handrails! These facilities give priority but not exclusivity.

Nelliemoser Mon 23-Oct-17 11:47:14

My reaction would be "would you rather I peed on the floor.

As it happens I always wonder why they have disabled the toilet.
Get a sign saying Accessible toilet for the disabled, or something similar.

Hollycat Mon 23-Oct-17 11:54:49

Absolutely OK take no notice all. Of course if you wrestle a disabled person to the floor to get there first, it's probably going to be frowned ongrin

Nelliemoser Mon 23-Oct-17 11:57:57

Coco51 I don't agree with your point. Even non disabled people are sometimes desperate for a pee.
I would not use a disabled toilet unless the other facilties are all occupied but if that is all that is available I will use it before I wet myself .

grannyticktock Mon 23-Oct-17 11:58:53

I would readily use a disabled toilet if there is no disabled person waiting to use it. If someone disabled did arrive in the minute or two while I was in there, they'd have their turn next, while the able-bodied but full-bladdered were still having to queue.

By making full use of all the facilities, I would actually be doing a service to the rest of the queuing ladies, by shortening their waiting time too.

There is no comparison with using a disabled parking space or a parent-and-child space, because it's only a matter of a minute or two, and there's an accepted system of queuing. Sometimes I've actually been directed to the disabled loo by the management (most recently, at a local minor injuries centre).

Deedaa Mon 23-Oct-17 12:00:05

I was very glad of them for several months after my knee replacements as I could grab the,handles to get up and down. I could always have shown off the,scars if anyone asked. And I have used them with toddlers and bags of shopping.

pamdixon Mon 23-Oct-17 12:12:11

so glad to know that I'm not the only one who pops into the disabled loo in an emergency. Of course we are all decent human beings,who check before we use it, that there isn't a more deserving person in the queue.

keffie Mon 23-Oct-17 12:22:41

Bit of a grey area is this. Neither my husband or I who are both registered disabled look it. My husband does when he walks though.

Disabled toilets are not just for people in a wheelchair. We both have radar keys.

I have a stomach and bowel condition which mean I can not wait for the toilet hence I have a key.

So I would be pretty fed up if a none disabled person was using the toilet, though I wouldn't judge cos alot of disabilities you can't see so unless you ask how would you know.

If the disabled toilet was in use I would be trying to find a toilet that wasn't for reasons you can work out yourself. You don't need the gory detail

jocork Mon 23-Oct-17 12:24:31

Our local library has only a disabled type loo. The first time I needed to go I spent ages looking for another before realising it was the only one. If only disabled people could use it others would have to go in the bushes outside! I am diabetic and one of my medications causes me to need to pee more often than I used to and sometimes it comes on quite suddenly. Diabetes is one of many 'hidden' disabilities and I certainly know that when I need to go I really do need to go! But no-one looking at me would think I was disabled - and to be honest I don't really think of myself as disabled - but this year for the first time I've filled in the form at work that we have to complete annually, declaring my disability and stating that normally no special considerations need to be made for me as a result, but occasionally I may need to leave a class, or be late for one due to the need for the loo and I do need to get my breaks at the appropriate time to have a snack.

Elrel Mon 23-Oct-17 12:28:30

Altissima - I am slightly disabled and sometimes have continence issues. I assumed a radar key was like a blue badge and I wouldn't be eligible.
Thanks to you (and eBay) I should have one by the end of the week!

OurKid1 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:31:47

Difficult one that ... I often use the disabled loo, but always look around at the queue hoping no-one gets stroppy has a greater need than mine. So far so good ... I feel the same about the loo designated for mums and babies.

OurKid1 Mon 23-Oct-17 12:32:48

Posted too quickly - meant to leave hoping undeleted. Also meant to say that perhaps we should ask if anyone objects.

Sheilasue Mon 23-Oct-17 12:32:50

I always use them if I can much prefer to.