Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Was I wrong ?

(117 Posts)
Mauriherb Mon 23-Oct-17 09:29:14

Yesterday, while in town, I needed the loo. I went into the public ones and there was no queue but all the cubicles were occupied except the disabled one, so I used that. When I came out a lady mumbled something about me not looking disabled so I pointed out that the door said "disabled" not "disabled only" which I assume means that anyone could use it. I certainly wouldn't have used it if a disabled person was behind me in the queue. My question is.... was I wrong to use the disabled loo ?

GracesGranMK2 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:48:01

maryeliza 'little Hitler' is a common phrase meaning: an unnecessarily or pretentiously dictatorial person - rather like you being - evoking Hitler indeed.

And who the hell do you think you with your inflammatory questioning ? "And how do you know that the 15 minutes was unreasonable?" I did not, in any way, say it was unreasonable. Try reading and understanding the post. I was simply explaining that you could be equally as likely to wait outside a disabled loo for a disabled person as outside a disabled loo for a non-disabled person - there is no difference.

My mother may be 96, suffering from Alzheimer's so unable to understand the wait, and in a wheelchair - not to highjack any debate but because she can't walk. And I may suffer from a condition that means YOU would rather I use the disabled loo but we both are 'able' enough to understand the problem and sympathise with those who have hidden disabilities which you seem to completely lack the ability to do.

Your nasty attempt to inflame the discussion makes me think that the "disability", in this instance, is not ours.

Synonymous Thu 26-Oct-17 12:39:40

Some disabilities are invisible but no less real therefore nobody should criticise someone using a disabled loo without complete knowledge of their medical condition. Great distress and embarassment can be caused. Equally there is no true way of knowing whether someone is disabled by merely looking.

If able-bodied people are able to use a standard loo without the added helps or fairly instant availability which are provided to disabled people in disabled loos it makes perfect sense to expect them to do so. Sometimes people who need to use these disabled facilities suddenly get a desperate urge and need to use them instantly. It is important to be sensitive to the needs of others less fortunate.

maryeliza54 Wed 25-Oct-17 14:26:57

I’m not saying there is a reason as long as people are thoughtful which all the people on here say there are. Maybe it would help if the sign on the disabled loo said something like ‘priority for disabled people’ like certain seats on trains and buses. Anyone can use them but should give them up to a disabled person if required.

Bagatelle Wed 25-Oct-17 14:01:17

Yes, usually they have all that as well.

But there's still no reason why an able-bodied person shouldn't use it as well. We all know how long queues get for the ladies.

maryeliza54 Wed 25-Oct-17 12:52:03

Carer

maryeliza54 Wed 25-Oct-17 12:51:45

I don’t think it’s just about the extra space for a wheelchair or career. It’s also about the raised seat,the grab rails, manoeuvring with sticks/crutches. One of the problems with the disability/access debate in general is that it gets hijacked by the wheelchair

Bagatelle Wed 25-Oct-17 11:50:50

Isn't the point of these toilets that there is extra space for manipulating a wheelchair and/or a carer, and also washing facilities? I need a toilet with a basin and it's hard to manage without one, but am glad that my problem isn't obvious.

Anyone can develop a sudden problem and need to go quickly but being 'disabled' doesn't mean that one needs a toilet available instantly and at all times. Yes, maryeliza54 I do know what changing a bag and maybe having soiled yourself might involve, but an able-bodied person is usually pretty quick so wouldn't cause much delay.

If I find that there is a queue but the 'disabled' is free, I say that I need that one but wouldn't anyone else like to go first? I get very stony looks when all I'm trying to do is reduce the waiting time for all.

Blue Badge is quite different. You park and leave the car, so you can't see when a person comes with a genuine need for the space.

maryeliza54 Wed 25-Oct-17 08:47:20

And how do you know that the 15 minutes was unreasonable? You do know what changing a bag and maybe having soiled yourself might involve do you?

maryeliza54 Wed 25-Oct-17 08:45:39

What’s really really strange though is that when it comes to misuse of blue badge spaces there never seems to be support for the law being enforced from passers by (shame on you GG btw for evoking Hitler - a tad OTT). Are you really saying that re disabled loos there is a regular stream of people criticising (apparently) able bodied people who use them? Is the OP’s experience an everyday story?

GracesGranMK2 Wed 25-Oct-17 08:22:36

You were quite right Mauriherb.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 25-Oct-17 08:21:00

Oh how the British love to judge. One day I will say to someone, that a lack of intelligence or imagination is not always visible and neither is a disability, rather than just think it.

It seems we are still a country were we must make up these little Hitler rules and expect others to obey them. You were quite Mauriherb.

As for being annoyed at waiting for the disabled loo to be vacated by someone who is not disabled you can (and I have been) just as easily be kept waiting - for 15 minutes - by someone who is disabled. This was not for me who could walk and manoeuvre to another loo - my issues are not visible - but for my mother whose wheelchair could not be manoeuvred into the "everybody" loo and this was in a hospital! It is seared on my memory.

MissAdventure Wed 25-Oct-17 00:49:02

Oops! I meant to say, have only disabled friendly toilets. There is no other option.

MissAdventure Wed 25-Oct-17 00:48:16

I've spent days and days at the hospital, and just today realised that whole wings (the newer ones) have 'disabled toilets'. So, sooner than walk for 20 minutes to the older part of the hospital, I've availed myself of the ones nearest.

acblondon Tue 24-Oct-17 22:21:09

Roofing services in London if anyone wants these services can visit this website.
gringrin

Spangles1963 Tue 24-Oct-17 17:03:24

For all she knows,you could have a hidden disability. Disabled people aren't always in a wheelchair or walking with crutches!

Nandalot Tue 24-Oct-17 12:26:11

I use the disabled loos with my DGS, as long as no one is waiting. He has very sensitive hearing and won’t enter a public toilet where there are hand dryers as the noise overwhelms him. (Can sympathise Glamdram). However, I always feel funny about it.

CardiffJaguar Tue 24-Oct-17 11:45:15

An empty loo is an available one. Any loo marked disabled only is unlikely to be used as much as others in the same location so should also be considered as available. Perhaps we should be aiming for every loo to be available for all.

Franbern Tue 24-Oct-17 11:04:45

I have no problem with anyone using the accessible (should not be called Disabled) toilet. Can be very useful when there is a long queue and taking a toddler to toilet. When they say they want to go, they usually mean immediately.
what annoys me much more is the long queues in so many public buildings at Ladies Toilets, whilst the Mens, next door is obviously virtually empty. Do we really need to keep these distinctions? Surely, provided that cubicle loos are in place, these should all be for any gender use.
I would like to see more special low toilets in public places for children (say under-5's), so these little ones do not have to wait in a long queue.
For many year I suffered from Colitus and did have a card which I was supposed to show to a queue to enable to me to jump to the front (never had the courage to use it though). For the last 27 years have a bag, (ileostomy), and really like to use a cubicle which has space and its own wash basin etc. I do use a stick for walking now, for most of that time I walked normally, so often did get frowns when I used the Accessible toilet.
The Radar key idea is good, but the one I have weighs so much, I rarely take it out of my car.

Grangegran1 Tue 24-Oct-17 09:29:40

Has common sense gone out with the ark? Of course you weren't in the wrong, the person in the wrong was Mrs Pompous telling you off.

BlueBelle Tue 24-Oct-17 04:29:10

Of course you were right if anyone needs a wee and there’s an empty loo why on earth would you stand waiting just in case a disabled person might come along
One day I was desperate and there was a great long queue for the ladies and not a soul for the gents . I said anyone want to use the gents everyone looked aghast at me so taking that as a no I went and had my wee washed my hands and toddled off, no one followed my example All daft
I have no problem using a men’s or disabled if they are not in use why not ?

Glamdram Tue 24-Oct-17 01:41:52

I agree with all posts ....a disabled toilet means it's there because disabled people have easier access to it. A able person can use if it's free.
I have tinnitus and usually use disabled toilets because I really can't stand the sound of hand dryers in toilets in some places.....it hurts my ears.....in a disabled loo I can use hand towels.

Shizam Mon 23-Oct-17 23:02:02

Have done gents loos at theatres, queue too long for ladies, and in skiing resorts. Just look away at the urinals. Have also used disabled toilets many moons ago with pram, baby, and lots of shopping. Got told off by disabled woman needing to use loo. But wasn’t sure what else I could do. Lose baby? Shopping? Wet myself?

Madgran77 Mon 23-Oct-17 21:24:31

Don't worry about it! Sensible thing to do!

Riverwalk Mon 23-Oct-17 20:51:59

No you weren't wrong. 'Disabled' means they are wheelchair-accessible and those with wheelchairs, equipment or special needs have priority.

Just as on buses, the wheelchair space is just that, doesn't mean no-one can stand there or put a buggy if there's no wheelchair user, as long as they make way if one comes on board.

JANH Mon 23-Oct-17 20:35:59

I often use a disabled toilet in our local M+S. I am disabled, don't look it - no wheelchair and no limp - and sometimes receive a funny look from people when I am exiting the toilet. Nothing has ever been said but I feel guilty because I am not obviously disabled. Good on you for using the facilities.