Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

noise in student hall

(46 Posts)
humptydumpty Tue 24-Oct-17 10:15:13

My DD is living in a student hall; the rooms are arranged as 'flats' with 5/6 bedrooms, with paper-thin walls. Everyone in hers is reasonably quiet except the boy in the room next to hers, who not only makes noise late but also has his alarm go off at 6 a.m. then leaves it on snooze until he feels like getting up, so it goes off every 9 mins. There have been a lot of complaints from others in the flat already but nothing is done about it, and he mocks anyone of the others who try to talk to him.

The point is, my DD - and the others - want to get their sleep so they can study. She has earplugs but they're not a lot of help, also if they damp the outside noise down too much she won't hear her own alarm go off. I wonder what to do? Speak personally to someone in charge of the hall?
Hire someone like Phil Mitchell to threaten him (!)

Or if not that, does anyone have experience of using acoustic foam?

Primrose65 Tue 24-Oct-17 10:34:32

Goodness! I don't see that someone using a morning alarm is unreasonable. I'm not surprised that the person mocks people who are complaining about it, especially as your DD is using one too.
Sounds like they need to learn about living with others & a bit of give and take.

Elrel Tue 24-Oct-17 10:43:28

If they all agree about the noisy boy they should approach the university accommodation office, perhaps after giving him a warning. He'll stop mocking if he thinks he may have to move out.

glammanana Tue 24-Oct-17 10:45:44

Wow there is certainly learning to live together and the difference to listening to an alarm going off every 9 mins for goodness knows how long? That could be listening to the repeat alarm up to 12 times if they usually wake about 8am which I would imagine is the norm for students.
They need to speak as a group to the Manager of the Halls and make a joint complaint to get it dealt with .

humptydumpty Tue 24-Oct-17 10:47:34

Primrose it's not the use of the alarm of course - it goes off at 6 and he leaves it for at least an hour before he gets up - that is after keeping them awake til the early hours the night before. These people (including him) are there to study so I think their expectations are perfectly reasonable. Were you never a student? It may be the case that there are final-year students affected by this (my daughter is doing a Master's so only has the 1 year to get on top of her studies).

The boy concerned has already got into trouble for swapping rooms with someone else in the hall without asking, whether he chose that or was pushed I don't know.

Nelliemoser Tue 24-Oct-17 10:50:13

Try recording the noise that comes from the room and keep a diary. Encourage others to do the same. and then present it to the house managers.

humptydumpty Tue 24-Oct-17 10:58:25

Thanks Nellie and glammanana for your advice. I saw acoustic foam recommended on thestudentroom but have no experience of it, does anyone know if it would be likely to work?

Bambam Tue 24-Oct-17 11:01:49

They should make a joint complaint about the unnecessary noise this boy makes, they should also as a group, stand up to him. He must want to sleep sometime so perhaps they could make lots of noise when He needs to sleep.
He sounds a nightmare!
They are there to study and it is costing them A LOT of money and debt to do so. They need their sleep.
My twin Gds were in hall's last year and luckily they had a "good" lot in their flat. But heard from others on their courses who were not so lucky. Some were distraught because of it and were so tired they could not keep up with their studies and left Uni.
So unfair and all down to people like this noisy, sneering , bully.

humptydumpty Tue 24-Oct-17 11:03:06

Thanks bambam much appreciated.

grannyactivist Tue 24-Oct-17 11:13:38

Ask your daughter to check her Tenancy Agreement and see what the regulations are about noise. It's usual to have a clause that says noise must not be audible outside the rooms between 2300 and 0700 hours and tenants are to have due consideration for other residents at all times. It will also detail the noise complaints procedure.

Moocow Tue 24-Oct-17 11:22:00

A friend had Acoustic foam for her home due to noisy neighbours (semi detached house). It isn't great and takes up a lot of space and has to fit completely to work so for student halls I don't think it would help.

I totally agree with others, list all the problems with dates, times etc and go without further delay as a group to the accommodation people. I can't understand primrose response it's as if the original post wasn't read properly.

Primrose65 Tue 24-Oct-17 11:48:45

In my experience, these sorts of issues are better dealt with by asking a favour instead of complaining, but it seems I'm in the minority.
I've always thought that formal complaints were a last resort and as they've only been flatmates for a few weeks, it's hard to believe that all measures of diplomacy have been exhausted.
If it were my neighbour, I'd have approached the problem with a kind word and a bottle of something delicious to share. Not with a diary of dates and times and a copy of the tenancy agreement.

humptydumpty Tue 24-Oct-17 13:21:40

primrose you seem to have missed the bit in my thread where I said "he mocks anyone of the others who try to talk to him".

Primrose65 Tue 24-Oct-17 14:46:58

No, I have not missed anything. And because you didn't write 'they tried chatting about things amicably' or 'they set group rules for the flat and he's broken them' I'm assuming these things didn't happen.

maryeliza54 Tue 24-Oct-17 15:03:18

I think the OP was perfectly clear - his behaviour is unreasonable and selfish, they’ve tried to deal with it, formal complaint necessary obviously.

humptydumpty Tue 24-Oct-17 15:06:31

They don't need to set grouprules for the flat - the accommodation handbook says "We ask that you keep noise to a minimum between 10pm-8am". His manner doesn't suggest he would be up for chatting about things amicably - but I'll suggest that to DD.

Although rooms are nominally arranged as a flat, it's not a flat as we would think of it, all the rooms are separate and have different numbers like a hotel, it's just that they also have a kitchen area (where he leaves his dirty dishes) and a sitting room area

jollyg Tue 24-Oct-17 15:36:55

Agree that next door student is a selfish Sod.

problem might be the cheapness of the construction, thin partition walls, everything comes down to cost these days.

I was reading about my bete noire a BBC broadcaster who works from a shed in his garden, not too far away from a rail line.

He suppressed noise by hanging an old downie on the wall.

Might be worth a charity shop cheap try

MawBroon Tue 24-Oct-17 15:44:39

The worst “noise” which used to disturb us in our student days was when our flatmate had her boyfriend round....grin
They do sound a dry lot, isn’t the point of student life late music, parties, booze and the other?
Wait until they try living on a modern terraced house!
I think they need to chill, invest in earplugs/defenders and try getting up at 6 too to catch up on the studying grin

Grandma70s Tue 24-Oct-17 16:12:59

No MawBroon, parties, booze and inconsiderate late music are NOT the point of student life (but I’m sure you know that).

In My Day a university hall had a warden who would have dealt with this behaviour. I don’t know what they have now, but it should definitely be dealt with.

merlotgran Tue 24-Oct-17 16:14:27

I think they need to regard a noisy alarm clock as a sweetener for what's to come? grin

NotTooOld Tue 24-Oct-17 16:32:07

Mawbroon grin I think there is truth in what you say.

When my daughter was in her first year and in halls, she was forever phoning home to complain of a 'major' problem such as this one. I (or DH) would listen sympathetically and then offer advice. We'd spend the next few days worrying about the situation only to find that the next time she called the problem had resolved itself days ago and she had forgotten all about it. I suspect the same thing will happen here.

humptydumpty Tue 24-Oct-17 16:42:27

Sadly NotTooOld, I don't think so. Also MawBroon, remeber my DD is studying for her MA - she's not a 1st yr undergraduate, i which case I would agree with you - she's doing a vocational MA which will hopefully set her on her chosen career path...

NotTooOld Tue 24-Oct-17 16:52:07

humpty - could she transfer to a shared student house? I appreciate what you say about her doing a masters which would perhaps make her older than others in the flat? The first years do tend to go a bit mad in year one - I should know because I used to teach them! - as many of them have never lived away from home before.

humptydumpty Tue 24-Oct-17 17:11:50

NotTooOld - I agree, it's typical 1st yr behaviour! unfortunately her contract ties her into this student hall for the whole of this academic year (in other words, the whole MA) unless she can find someone to take over her room.

I feel sorry, actually for the other student who has been having problems, because her religious views mean she isn't supposed to be in a room with men - and the guy concerned had been using the living room/kitchen as his barber's shop business, so she was effectively excluded. Although they can choose a room when they apply, there is no way for students to know who else will be in the flat. It's a real pity, because I feel sure it would be possible to put together a flat full of women who want to study!

BlueBelle Tue 24-Oct-17 17:19:16

You can’t sort out over 18 s lives for them they are old enough to do it for themselves
I never had a clue whether the living arrangements were good bad or ugly when my girls where at uni I remember staying over a few times sleeping on a mattress on the floor and mucking in with a very different lifestyle to anything I d experienced before
I believe once you are in shared accommodation you have to accept it won’t necessarily be quiet living and they may need to try and find a compromise or move on
I hope your daughter gets the peace she wants but try not to worry it will be the start of many worries you will have over the years with grown up kids