Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

noise in student hall

(47 Posts)
humptydumpty Tue 24-Oct-17 10:15:13

My DD is living in a student hall; the rooms are arranged as 'flats' with 5/6 bedrooms, with paper-thin walls. Everyone in hers is reasonably quiet except the boy in the room next to hers, who not only makes noise late but also has his alarm go off at 6 a.m. then leaves it on snooze until he feels like getting up, so it goes off every 9 mins. There have been a lot of complaints from others in the flat already but nothing is done about it, and he mocks anyone of the others who try to talk to him.

The point is, my DD - and the others - want to get their sleep so they can study. She has earplugs but they're not a lot of help, also if they damp the outside noise down too much she won't hear her own alarm go off. I wonder what to do? Speak personally to someone in charge of the hall?
Hire someone like Phil Mitchell to threaten him (!)

Or if not that, does anyone have experience of using acoustic foam?

maryeliza54 Tue 24-Oct-17 17:26:39

But there’s nothing wrong with our children whatever age they are asking us for advice in dealing with problems is there? I can’t understand why some people think that he should be allowed to behave as he wants and the others should adapt. Anyway there’s some sensible advice here about the way forward that might help - there certainly could be a compromise as opposed to the others having to suck it up

eazybee Tue 24-Oct-17 17:32:26

Very annoying, but I doubt if polite requests and/or threats will work as the authorities will be too busy dealing with the idiots who set off fire alarms at 3 o'clock in the morning, as happened regularly throughout my son's year in one of these student flats.I would suggest your daughter accepts the inevitable and gets up at 6 o'clock and uses the time to study, moving into another room while she gets on with her work. Or they could sabotage the alarm clock.

stayanotherday Tue 24-Oct-17 17:36:13

Could all who are disturbed by the noise make a joint formal complaint as the mickey is being taken. It sounds as if this boy knows he takes advantage and expects to get away with it. There's no give and take. The only way to deal with folks like this is to get tough.

maryeliza54 Tue 24-Oct-17 17:41:53

Exactly stay.

Craicon Tue 24-Oct-17 18:35:35

Assuming that it's University owned accommodation, in most UK Universities, there will be a Hall Warden responsible for the general running of the halls/flats.
Your DD and fellow flat mates should report their concerns to him/her who will then have a word with the student. Generally, a Warden can enforce sanctions such as issuing fines if they feel that the complaint is justified. Ultimately, the annoying student could be asked to vacate the flat.
My DH used to be a Hall Warden (before I met him) and had to deal with all sorts of anti social behaviour from the students over the years, although most students were perfectly reasonable.

Granny23 Tue 24-Oct-17 18:55:38

The easiest (albeit perhaps temporary) solution would be to have the alarm clock fall, accidentally, into a bucket of water.

I can't believe that 5 bright students cannot, between them, devise a strategy to clip this young chaps wings.

merlotgran Tue 24-Oct-17 19:05:02

Don't get mad, get even.

Buy a vuvuzela.

MawBroon Tue 24-Oct-17 19:09:41

If this guy is running any sort of business he must surely be in breach of contract.
That should get him out.
The other thing is to enlist the help and support of the other residents. Strength in numbers!

BlueBelle Tue 24-Oct-17 20:12:42

Of course we are all there for our adult children when they have real problems but things like a noisy student in the next room is something they need to sort out together for themselves The original poster says ‘I wonder what to do’ and I m saying it’s not for her to do anything or even worry about it they are adults there is more than one so they need to get together and come up with their own solution the mum doesn’t need to be involved

Anya Tue 24-Oct-17 20:15:19

I presume his ‘alarm’ is his mobile phone..they usually are these days. I suggest you obtain his number and organise a rota and all ring him between his snoozes so he gets fed up and turns his phone off or down.

Hoist him with his own petard.

MissAdventure Tue 24-Oct-17 20:16:02

Excellent idea!

Primrose65 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:21:35

Fab idea Anya!

Iam64 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:24:28

Great idea Anya
Seriously though - one first year student can't be sorted out by all the others?

MawBroon Tue 24-Oct-17 20:36:10

And a post grad MA student shouldn’t need Mum to sort it out! hmm

stayanotherday Tue 24-Oct-17 22:29:05

Thanks Mary. Merlot's and Anya's suggestions are great. These people don't like a taste of their own medicine. When his alarm goes, he's clearly still in bed so how about the others take it in turns to knock his door very loudly until he's forced to get up and then point out the alarm's going! Do this until he gets the message!

humptydumpty Wed 25-Oct-17 12:03:59

Thanks everyone for your comments. Of course my DD doesn't expect me to sort it out! She was just sounding off - it's me that wants to sort it out, especially as she has MH problems, had a severe panic attack leading to vomiting last week, this is the last thing she needs.

Ringing the mobile great idea, or an 'accident'! but don't know how they would find out his number. I like the vuvuzela myself!

stayanotherday Fri 27-Oct-17 21:43:04

Hope your daughter's better and the noise has stopped.

Bluegal Sat 28-Oct-17 19:33:50

I kind of sympathise but also think...yep! this is students for you. When I visited my DD at Uni in halls I wondered how any of them got any sleep!! Most of them were 1st year away from home students! But they seemed to enjoy it. They then got shared flats for the next three years. Can't say there still weren't any issues but at least they got to rent with people they wanted in accommodation they chose.

Sure he is being a selfish prig but guys don't 'grow-up' until they are about 40 ha ha.

Also its only a year! May not be worth over stressing, especially for you. Am sure she could come home or go to friends occasionally to catch up on sleep? I agree, could be much more to worry about in the future. wink.

Bluegal Sat 28-Oct-17 19:37:31

Oh just read your last post. You didn't say initially she had MH problems. Different ballgame then, perhaps she could be transferred on medical grounds? My apologies.

Personally I think it would add to the problems if she attempts to fight fire with fire especially as she sounds sensitive and he doesn't.

BlueBelle Sat 28-Oct-17 19:44:49

Well it is a totally different ballgame if your daughter has mental health problems especially if it can top her into panic attacks which can be horrible Maybe halls isn’t the right place to be So agree here with Bluegals post above

stayanotherday Mon 30-Oct-17 00:10:38

Has your daughter spoken to the student welfare for advice?