Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

COINCIDENCE

(57 Posts)
Daisynance123 Wed 01-Nov-17 09:11:21

A couple of years ago I was making the long drive to Devon (I live in Luton) to stay with friends. With me were my DD (darling dog!) and my tortoise.
After a couple of hours I pulled into a service area so that we could all stretch our legs. Dogs are always up for a wee and tortoises don't travel well.
My tortoise was in a box on the back seat and ,whilst I was retrieving him, backing out of the car, I bumped into someone. Tortoise in hand, I turned to apologise, only to be confronted by a lady doing exactly the same thing!!
But it didn't end there!
We both walked over to the grassy area and put our tortoises down to have a trundle , only to be met with a loud "Oh my God ! coming from the car in front of us.
A couple came over and the man explained that his wife was just asking him what he would like for his birthday,to which he replied
that he had always wanted a tortoise ,only to look up and see us putting our tortoises down right in front of him !
In a long life,this is one of the most extraordinary coincidences that has happened to me.
How about the rest of you Gransnetters. There must be some wonderful stories out there.

Lindylou51 Thu 02-Nov-17 08:21:44

Some years ago our daughter's friend, a journalist and author, was travelling around India researching for the travelogue she was intending to write. Lo and behold we boarded a train in some far remote town and there she was in the same carriage. She said she had been feeling a bit alone and all she wanted was a hug from her parents or her best friend (our daughter) and instead she got a hug from her best friend's parents. A few years later when she was travelling around Asia researching for her next book and we were on holiday in Bangkok, who should come down to breakfast at our hotel but our daughter's friend. The coincidence is referred to in both her books.

judypark Thu 02-Nov-17 13:49:01

When my son was travelling in Australia he met an Australian girl at a beach party, she was a hairdresser and gave him a free haircut.
3 years later he was in the sticks in Southern Ireland and stopped at a remote B&B for the night and who was in the bar, The said hairdresser, so he got another free haircut!

ginny Thu 02-Nov-17 15:43:48

Some amazing stories. I have remembered 2 more.
Whilst on a camp site in Southern France a couple camping next to us we talking about an accident that had happened a few years previously outside his place of work and how he had helped the car driver. The driver was my DH.
Same holiday, my DH spotted a car that he recognised as one is Dad had owned. He spoke to the owner and sure enough there was his Dads name in the log book.

DameJudyClench Thu 02-Nov-17 23:01:03

I'm with some previous posters on this. I don't believe in coincidence either. There have been so many incidents in my life, that I'd be here all day relating them to all of you lovely people.

One of them started about 26+ years ago when an ex and I were on holiday in Portugal, and we met a young couple on their honeymoon. We did a few touristy trips together as couples and then went our separate ways.

The next summer, we went on a houseboat for a couple of weeks with my late father, and stopped off at a small town on the Thames for supplies. Walked into a local supermarket and bumped in to the wife of the couple that we'd met in Portugal. Apparently her husband was away and she was staying with her family.

And the 'coincidence' doesn't end there. The next summer, my ex and I went to an airshow in another part of the country where we were visiting friends. We heard someone call out my ex's (unusual) name. Yup, you've guessed it - it was the husband of the couple. I've never seen them since, but often wonder what happened to them.

Jane10 Fri 03-Nov-17 16:15:08

I've just experienced the most incredible coincidence that really made me think. It was lovely and I found myself in tears. There truly is more to heaven and earth etc...

silverlining48 Fri 03-Nov-17 17:21:44

In the 70s german friends visited us for a week. They had been going through some difficulties and the husband had had an affair, much to his wifes distress. We took them around the sights and waited for a nice day to take them to london. We got up there, wandered round randomly and decided on the off chance to go into westminster abbey. As we walked round the abbey my friend was in tears. The girlfriend, also german, was in the abbey too.