Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I realise this may sound a bit pathetic

(65 Posts)
petitpois Thu 09-Nov-17 17:01:53

but I've recently tracked down an old friend on Facebook. We were very close for a long time and then there was some missed communication about something - I've actually forgotten what (!) and things turned frosty for a bit and then she left our town and we completely drifted apart. I got all nostalgic looking at the photos of her and remembering our shared laughs and cries. I'd really like to re-establish contact with her but I'm not sure how to do it? And if I'm honest, scared I'll be rebuffed, or worse, ignored. Anyone else have any stories of long lost friendships reunited that may inspire me and give me the courage?

Tegan2 Thu 09-Nov-17 17:08:17

Facebook is great for that, as you can limit what people see/read. Just send her a message and a friend request; she can only ignore it if she wants to, I did get back in touch with my oldest school friend [we had been in touch on friendsreunited] but our political views are so different that I couldn't maintain the friendship, and we really have nothing in common any more. But I do check out her public page sometimes just to see that she's ok [she had a health scare the other year].

judypark Thu 09-Nov-17 17:53:29

Years ago I discovered that a teenage sweetheart was now single as was I. We had been inseparable and soul mates for a heady two years.
We arranged to meet and I foolishly assumed we would just pick up where we had just left off in the 1970s. Big disappointment.
My fond memories of those halcyon days were nothing like his, the only recollections shared were since long lost 6th form friends. We had absolutely nothing in common.
You have nothing to lose by contacting your old friend but don't pin your hopes of it flourishing.

Devorgilla Thu 09-Nov-17 17:54:04

I have contacted people I was friends with at School/University via FB. Some responded, some didn't. I actually went to a University Reunion with one and we had a great time. By all means try. Just don't get upset if they don't respond. Some people want to reconnect, some don't. We email one another from time to time but it is a much more casual connection now than it was in the past. That's fine by me. Good luck.

Maggiemaybe Thu 09-Nov-17 18:46:03

Well, it's worth a try, if you want to rekindle the friendship, isn't it? Though I'm not going to inspire you with my stories, I'm afraid. One uni friend got in touch after many years, we met up once and had absolutely nothing in common, so that friendship died a quick second death. And another very good friend from my schooldays has recently sent me a friend request, but I won't be responding - there are reasons why we haven't been in touch over the years, our lives are totally different and I don't think a Facebook reunion will mean a thing. She has over 300 FB "friends" and I have 30, all of whom are real life friends and family.

Suki70 Thu 09-Nov-17 18:53:59

Do contact her, the worst that can happen is that she doesn't reply. I contacted two school friends through Friends Reunited, one had been a close friend through primary and secondary school but we drifted apart when I went to College, the other was more a friend of my husband (we were at the same school) but someone I knew. Things turned out very well, we found we still have lots in common, we email regularly and even though we live in different parts of the country we've met up several times and stayed with each other. Being able to share memories from so long ago is very special.

Tegan2 Thu 09-Nov-17 19:07:51

Don't be upset if she doesn't accept your friend request straight away; sometimes it takes ages to pick up on them when they're sent.

Marmight Thu 09-Nov-17 19:20:14

Go for it. You have nothing to lose. If it doesn't work out at least you'll have given it a go. I met an old friend by chance in M&S car park after a gap of 25 years. I heard a voice shouting 'is that yoooo Marmight?'. Much water has passed beneath the bridge in that time but we now meet up regularly and find we have so much in common, not least our children who were friends at preschool and regret the wasted years. We've even been on a girlie spa break. Some years ago I met a very old friend after over 30 years which is ongoing and has been a wonderful experience. That's all I'm saying .......

Elrel Thu 09-Nov-17 19:42:03

I've found contacting old school friends very rewarding. Old boyfriends less so, some pleasant meetings and some where I was just waiting for this stranger to go away!

Smithy Thu 09-Nov-17 20:58:26

In 2000, pre face book days, I received a letter and a Christmas card from an old school friend I'd been very close to until for no reason around,1980 we drifted apart. She asked to meet up, which we did and it was as if all the years melted away. We have been meeting up on a,very regular basis ever since.

Anniebach Thu 09-Nov-17 21:08:48

Better to try than to wonder would she have replied and never know , good luck x

Jalima1108 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:10:23

I have never met an old boyfriend.

Tegan2 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:13:08

One of mine is on facebook; he's a locations manager for some tv programmes but is now married to someone very young and glamorous. Would love to know if he remembered me blush but I doubt it...sad

Eglantine21 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:15:30

Give it a go. I was on Kings Cross station a few years ago when I heard someone call my name. It was a friend I he'd worked with and then lost touch when I moved jobs. She is now one of my best friends and such fun!

petitpois Fri 10-Nov-17 10:28:17

Am hopeful it will turn out like your stories Smithy and Eglantine21. But I'll try be realistic. Ok, Facebook it is. gulp!
Don't know why I feel so nervous about it. Ridiculous. blush

harrigran Fri 10-Nov-17 15:22:14

I met up with someone I was friends with 50+ years ago and found we had absolutely nothing in common. We still exchange Christmas cards but we don't meet as we would have nothing to talk about.

Maggiemaybe Fri 10-Nov-17 15:41:25

Hope it goes well, petitpois. You've nothing to lose either way!

BlueBelle Fri 10-Nov-17 15:52:09

I ve met a couple of old friends through fb and they ve been a bit of a damp squid we have met but although it was pleasant there was no big connection any more I ve also had one not answered although I rather think she doesn’t go on it much so I ll just leave it hanging there
Definitely go for it you ll never know what you’re missing until you try
Nothing ventured nothing gained
Do come back and tell us

Billybob4491 Fri 10-Nov-17 16:49:40

My first posting - hope its not too negative! I think it is difficult to resurrect old friendships, however tenuous the link, possibly because too much water has passed under the bridge! I met up with two old friends recently, it was an awkward meeting, not much in common, ran out of topics to discuss! leave the past in the past.

Bluegal Fri 10-Nov-17 19:21:22

Not at all Billybob4491 - people do change. At a recent school reunion I was so excited about seeing a couple in particular; we had been fabulous friends, shared innermost secrets, cried over boys, had sleepovers etc, lost contact as you did back in the day - moving about, no mobiles or fb etc but found that the ones I have kept in touch with are people I barely remember from school days - we just seem to gel now! That's Life wink

Oh but I would still give it a go petitpois...just out of interest.

ooonana Sat 11-Nov-17 08:20:46

I have done just that, found an old friend from nearly 20 years ago and friend requested her. She was overjoyed to make contact again we live 100 miles apart but we’ve met up twice now half way and it’s been great to catch up. We’re only just scratching the surface of what has happened to us both......please go for it don’t waste any time and good luck.

Piggypoo Sat 11-Nov-17 08:23:51

Hello, An old friend of mine sent me a friend request on Facebook, and I was a bit hesitant to accept the request as I worried we'd have nothing in common. However I accepted, and although we met up and had nothing to say to each other, we said we'd not get too disappointed about this, and just send the odd Hello and happy birthday messages. It was a shame we didn't connect the second time round, she was very full of herself and only talked about how much money her DH had and how many times they holidayed abroad. I found her quite shallow and boring. But do give it a go petipois, you will probably be glad you did. smile

Harris27 Sat 11-Nov-17 08:31:52

My husband and I (sorry that sounded regal!) both agree that our schooldays were in the past and should stay that way . My sister still meets up regularly with friends from that time and loves it. Up to the individual I say but I feel that I may be a dissapointment because my memories of years ago are pretty vague!

Caro1954 Sat 11-Nov-17 08:38:00

You have nothing to lose Petitpois. Let us know how it goes.

kooklafan Sat 11-Nov-17 08:44:29

About twenty eight years ago my old school friend managed to track me down. We were best friends in school but afterwards we lost touch. Anyway, she had been looking for me for a while so we reconnected and after a couple of telephone calls we arranged to meet at her house for lunch, she with her toddler daughter and myself with my toddler son. I arrived and my son and her daughter promptly began to play and as toddlers often do got over excited running around the garden squealing and giggling and she had the gall to tell me to keep 'my' son quiet because her husband was upstairs in bed working nights! I left soon after and didn't respond to any of her follow up messages. It's not like we had anything in common any more.