Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lost

(43 Posts)
Tayli101 Mon 18-Dec-17 17:26:33

Ok, my mum died 16 yrs ago when my first child was 3 months old. Devastated doesn’t even begin to cut it. I have three children, a fab hubby, lovely house etc. I just have no family older than me. I haven’t seen my dad since I was 14, he met someone else and ‘the new wife’ didn’t like me so I stopped seeing him. As an adult I realise he should have had more backbone to stick up for me and not just to pretend I didn’t exist. Anyway consequently I don’t have any relations at all. Most of the time my husband and kids are ‘enough’ just sometimes I am just lonely. Love to have someone older I suppose I could talk to, an adoptive grandparent? Any ideas?

GabriellaG Tue 19-Dec-17 11:51:40

blush discreet ad.

inishowen Tue 19-Dec-17 11:52:52

I was 30 when dad died, and 31 when mum died. My husband's parents were also gone at this time. I have found it really sad that they weren't there to see their grandchildren grow up. I'm 65 now and some of my friends still have their parents around. I am so envious of them. I wonder if you could volunteer to visit older people in a care home. There must be a way to meet lonely people who would really love to have a young person to talk to.

Jalima1108 Tue 19-Dec-17 12:02:22

I don't remember my grandparents either, just a vague recollection of one Grandad.

Kim19 Tue 19-Dec-17 12:11:53

Taylil01, Sounds to me as though you have already SO much. Try revelling in that and have a wonderful Christmas season.

silverlining48 Tue 19-Dec-17 12:53:37

I had a quick look at the adopt a gran info emily put on. I know a bit about the german system and as far as i know, it works.
I can understand how you feel and wish you well.

NemoNanna Tue 19-Dec-17 13:16:32

You would make a lovely volunteer for a befriending scheme. As well as Age UK check out www.brfriending.co.uk to see if there are schemes in your area. I also endorse the WI. Our has members from their 20's to 80's but plenty in their 40's. Hope you find someone or something to help you.

NannyC2 Tue 19-Dec-17 14:02:48

It is so much greater to give than receive. You sound a lovely person and we have so many elderly, lonely people in our community. Just over a year ago the Chichester Anna Chaplaincy was established (many more all over the country)

Read about it here chichesterannachaplaincy.org.uk/

We are looking for more 'Ana Friends.'

Irenelily Tue 19-Dec-17 14:25:00

I used to have 3 older ladies I visited, one was a much older cousin, one was my husband’s aunt and one was a neighbour who had gone into a home because she was immobile. They were all lovely very intelligent ladies an visiting them was a great pleasure. When the last one died, I suddenly realised I knew no one older then me! No one to tell me stories of the “old days” and no one to tell me how they would have liked to change the world - but left it too late! I realised I am the older person now! Fortunately I am active and busy as a school governor and have children and grandchildren to to whom to tell my stories now! I went into my grandson’s school to talk about living through the Blitz and they loved it. As so many Gransnetters say we have to get out there and make an effort to be with people - which is a compliment to our past friends!

PamelaJ1 Tue 19-Dec-17 14:46:21

There are a lot of older people who might fit the bill. There certainly seem to be a few who are on this site. Don’t know where you are but you could try your local church or social services.
I was listening to Jeremy Vine the other day and he had a woman on who was looking for people to share their Christmas Day. Perhaps he could find you a granny? Payback for featuring gransnet on his programme!

Tayli101 Tue 19-Dec-17 14:51:16

Thankyou all for your suggestions. I did get back in contact with my father a couple of years ago and found out I had two half sisters. I am in contact with them but they are not close. He told them he didn’t want to see or contact me as ‘too much water had gone under the bridge’, I struggle but mostly block it out, it’s his loss. I have contacted age concern and will follow through with the befriending option there.
GabriellaG thankyou for your kind suggestion. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Tayli101 Tue 19-Dec-17 14:52:47

I am in south Derbyshire

Craftycat Tue 19-Dec-17 15:08:33

Find a WI with members of your own age. We have loads of 40ish mums.
You will be warmly welcomed & make new friends. My DH complains I'm never in.

Hm999 Tue 19-Dec-17 17:58:57

Certain the internet has an answer somewhere, it's just a question of finding it

sarahellenwhitney Tue 19-Dec-17 18:13:10

So it was you who walked away from your father because you didn't like your stepmother not the other way round.?
You have more in your life than many but this does not appear to be enough..You say you have no relatives
How far have you looked ?
You do not mention a MIL or a FIL.Does DH not have aunts and uncles who would be in an older group which it appears you are seeking Does he have a grandmother?
Talk to your husband about your feelings as I certainly would not put an ad in the paper. You have no idea what you could be letting yourself in for.

Victoria08 Wed 20-Dec-17 09:46:31

Yes, I am a befriender with Age UK.

It's a good idea. I visit an elderly lady once a week.
You can choose your own times and days to suit.

Or maybe volunteer in a charity shop serving.
Plenty of people to chat to.

Skweek1 Mon 25-Dec-17 18:14:22

Yes, there's always GN! We're a great bunch! But is there a Circle group near you? or maybe a local "Older Generation group - ours is for over 55s - you'd probably find that there is someone who would love to become an adopted granny. Try a local church or maybe put a personal ad in local shop or paper. How about a penpal circle who may find your perfect older friend?

Lynnebo Mon 25-Dec-17 19:46:03

Mum has been gone 20 years and Dad was still with us last Christmas but sadly passed in January. It's very sad but it's the way of the world. For me the thing that is hard to bear is loosing my little sister seven years ago totally unexpectedly at the age of 47. She should still be here, we still had so much to do together.
Huge love to all of us missing special people this Christmas x