Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grr Grr grr

(140 Posts)
gmelon Thu 21-Dec-17 16:02:14

When oh when did the word "you" get replaced with "yourself" ?
Also the waiters and waitresses that ask " what can I get for yourselves today".
Did the younger folks change the use of English language while I had my back turned?

Galen Fri 22-Dec-17 11:08:23

In the West Coutry it’s ‘ me luvver’

Stella14 Fri 22-Dec-17 11:08:58

There are so many for me. I agree about ‘no problem’, especially from a waiter following my order. I always think, ‘of course it’s no bloody problem, this process is why you and I are here’! The two that wind me up most are ‘awesome’ used to describe work-a-day things. If a slice of pizza is awesome, then what adjective do we use to describe the Grand Canyon or a view of earth rise from a space shuttle? Secondly, I swear I feel steam coming out of my ears when even BBC journalists pronounce the H in letter H (and a deep . . . . cleansing . . . . breath).

Teetime Fri 22-Dec-17 11:12:35

Locally here in the East Midlands they say 'going Skegness' or 'going Oakham'. I've got used to hearing it just!

seadragon Fri 22-Dec-17 11:38:54

'.....going forward...' anyone?

Nonnie Fri 22-Dec-17 11:53:01

W11girl thanks for that, I thought it was because the driver would be distracted!

Musicelf Fri 22-Dec-17 11:55:46

I really, like, hate "like" when dotted throughout someone's speech.

I also dislike the use of "See you later" when they really mean "See you soon/tomorrow/next week...." Pedantic, perhaps, but it galls me.

Hey guys ......just don't! We managed to address people without calling them guys........or mate. My next door neighbour calls everyone "mate" - even me. Occasionally I'm her darling, but usually I'm her mate.

Oooh......breathe, Elf, breathe!

Hm999 Fri 22-Dec-17 12:05:47

Apologies for posting this again as I think I've said it before. Lots of people don't remember the difference between I (subject of sentence) and me (object) in plural (you and I, you and me) so they use myself instead. A lot of non-young folk, ie educated before 1980s say you and I for both, and wrongly correct youngsters when what they're saying is right. If you could substitute 'us' in sentence, it's you and me; 'we' is you and I.

Silverlining47 Fri 22-Dec-17 12:25:22

It really annoys me to hear 'I'm sat here.......'. My daughter and husband have suddenly started to say it. Where does that expression come from? Grrrrr!

sarahellenwhitney Fri 22-Dec-17 12:35:00

Referring to me by my Christian name instead of Mrs by other persons than my family, close friends or colleagues.
When did that come about?

Llamedos13 Fri 22-Dec-17 12:52:57

On a recent visit to the north of Ireland I noticed everyone says “wee”, as in “give me a wee minute and I’ll help you “or in one shop the assistant ,when I asked her a question told me to “wait a wee wee minute “ while she went to find the answer to my question.I would have been happy just to wait!

Stella14 Fri 22-Dec-17 12:54:18

Also, when did Politicians etc begin to ‘speak to’ issues. We have managed perfectly well simply ‘commenting’ on issues for years. It’s the Americans again. They took English over then and gradually they are giving back a bastardised version!

Chewbacca Fri 22-Dec-17 13:11:38

sarahellenwitney me too! I detest the over familiarity from someone that I've never seen, spoken to or met before.

Vero122 Fri 22-Dec-17 13:12:07

I hate it when a waiter says after bringing my food 'Enjoy'!

railman Fri 22-Dec-17 13:23:15

Basically, I'd like to run this one up the flagpole and see who salutes.

Have a nice day, or even Oh bless!

Can I get a skinny cappuccino latte, with caramel froth and mocachino sauce, when I arrive into work, and greet my co-workers, so that we can learn lessons and fulfil our customer orders in excess of their stated requirements.

Thankyou for listening, your call/email/message is important to us, and if you could complete a very short questionnaire letting us know how we have served you today, we would welcome your feedback.

grin angry grin angry angry

GrammaH Fri 22-Dec-17 13:24:09

I always cringe when I hear the expression "go to", as in " Fred Blogs is the go-to man for window cleaning " or whatever. Everyone seems to say it. I agree about the "see you later" too- DIL says it a lot & I was amused the other day when our 4 year old DGS said " but mummy, you're not seeing Gramma later, you'll see her on Monday"! Well done that child!

railman Fri 22-Dec-17 13:26:37

That's a good one sarahellenwhitney - I think we have gotten on first name terms when were subsumed by the USA. Where we now have tires, donuts, yogurt, etc.

Mind you I think gotten is an old English word that we stopped using about 300 years ago - I wonder if there are some we should bring back into use.

What about...

"Romane its domum"

railman Fri 22-Dec-17 13:27:27

Arrgh angry - damn spellcheck doesn't know "ite" is a latin verb!!!

pollyperkins Fri 22-Dec-17 14:03:35

Another one is 'loving the music' ( or the picture or the snow etc.) Why not just 'I love it'

grannyinmypocket Fri 22-Dec-17 14:06:35

I hate "d'you know what I mean" after every sentence, I feel like shouting, NO I'M BLOODY STUPID! !!!!

FarNorth Fri 22-Dec-17 14:12:07

I would reply "Myself would like ..."

They'd likely take it on board and start using it themselves, going forward.

FarNorth Fri 22-Dec-17 14:20:00

'Thank you for reaching out to us about your unpaid invoice'!
Yes, I've heard this a lot. It sounds as though the person is feebly flailing and hasn't actually made contact. tchgrin

Christinefrance Fri 22-Dec-17 14:38:05

To say nothing of 'being on a journey' beloved by reality show contestants.
I have the Look too marian I can freeze people instantly when I employ it.

Jalima1108 Fri 22-Dec-17 14:55:36

Oh yes, everyone is on a journey these days.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 22-Dec-17 14:59:57

winterwhite, you wondered what we said before the dreaded "guys". We were watching a film - for the life of me I cannot remember what it was - and every time the boss wanted to address the room full of her staff she called them "people" rather than "guys" and I thought it sounded much better.

We've discussed it on other threads, and I know it's a very personal thing and nobody should be criticised for what they do in the circumstances, but I do not like the increasing use of "passed" for "died". (I mean not even"passed away" or "passed over", but "passed".)

"Gotten" is still part of the vernacular in this bit of north-east Scotland, and, I believe, in other areas. It may well be returning to the rest of you!

I love these threads - they make me feel normal when I rant about such things. Thank you all for airing your prejudices, reasonable or not! flowers wine

Day6 Fri 22-Dec-17 15:07:54

I hate "the narrative" and "the process". Overused, both of them and usually by people who think they are deep.

Can I get,
I'm loving
You guys
It was like, and I was like, so they were like
I seen
I was sat
No problem

The above are problems for me!