Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Grr Grr grr

(140 Posts)
gmelon Thu 21-Dec-17 16:02:14

When oh when did the word "you" get replaced with "yourself" ?
Also the waiters and waitresses that ask " what can I get for yourselves today".
Did the younger folks change the use of English language while I had my back turned?

NannyTee Wed 27-Dec-17 12:44:53

confusedmy nephew says "nice one", instead of "thank-you" angry

Moneyboss Thu 28-Dec-17 18:45:08

I've got to admit to being guilty of some of the above, although I know it's poor English.
One of my pet hates is somethink instead of something.
Also if you can't pronounce your th's you shouldn't be a media presenter.

FarNorth Thu 28-Dec-17 20:30:17

Thee/Thuh! Wow, I never knew that. I'm astonished!

Cabbie21 Thu 28-Dec-17 23:07:57

As well as all those mentioned already, I also cannot bear to hear"it needs cleaned", or any other past participle, after "it needs". Surely " it needs cleaning" is correct? ( with apologies for some incorrect punctuation there)

MissAdventure Thu 28-Dec-17 23:19:05

I noticed in Scotland that was used a lot.

FarNorth Fri 29-Dec-17 03:12:48

It needs (to be, understood) cleaned.
That's what I always thought it was, anyway.

mrsmopp Fri 29-Dec-17 08:29:36

"I was like wow!"
(Young colleague telling me she had met a new boyfriend.)

Maggiemaybe Fri 29-Dec-17 09:45:06

I do use a lot of these sayings myself blush, and I'm not easily aggravated by them. But "I turned round and said.......and then he turned round and said......., so I turned round and said......." always conjures up a mental picture to me of people physically doing this!

mrsmopp Fri 29-Dec-17 18:32:04

Calling Christmas Crimbo! Hate it.

Jalima1108 Fri 29-Dec-17 19:17:51

The BBC playing the same Christmas Carol over and over again as a link between programmes:

*Hark the Herull
Dangels sing*

Please BBC - play the version by King's College Choir not a dumbed-down version by some pop singer!!

Amma54 Sun 31-Dec-17 20:17:57

And they always say it after something really simple such as 'I went to the shops today, if you know what I mean.' How could I not?

Chewbacca Sun 31-Dec-17 20:22:42

I'm always wary when I'm told, "I don't mean to be rude/mean/racist but....", because I know that that's exactly what they will be.

Amma54 Sun 31-Dec-17 20:25:06

The things I hate are legion - I noticed before Christmas people were saying 'I'm so excited for Christmas'. Where did that come from and when? It's 'I'm so excited about Christmas'. I can be excited for you, if you are doing something out of the ordinary, but not for the thing itself. Increasingly I hear the 'n' dropped from the indefinite article before a vowel sound, giving 'she was a important person', for example. People don't seem to understand the difference between count and uncount nouns and how we use them, so they say 'an amount of people' when they should say 'a number of people'. I suppose I should be grateful not to have yet heard 'a number of sugar/wine/hope' or anything else you can't count.

frankie74 Mon 01-Jan-18 11:10:00

"my bad"...what's wrong with good old-fashioned "sorry, it's my fault"