Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Feeling unloved and poorly

(130 Posts)
over60plus Sat 03-Mar-18 19:27:39

Well went to Spain on 18th Feb for a weeks sun started to feel unwell on arrival sick, coughing could not get out of bed, when we arrived home I insisted my husband took me to hospitals was admitted with severe chest infection and this dam FLU I have never felt so unwell, they kept me for 4 days sent home under GP care and my husband, went to bed did not get up for 3 days not once did he say how are you feeling do you want a drink etc, got up and dressed today still feel really weak what does he say all the holiday ironing needs doing, Do you realise how poorly I have felt his answer I have not had a proper cooked meal for over a week I give up

melp1 Tue 06-Mar-18 16:23:16

Are you his wife or his mother?
How thoughtless of him, don't think my hubby would do the ironing but I'm sure I'd be fed, watered and housework would get done.
I think once your better you should go away for a few days and leave him on his own to fend for himself.

AmMaz Mon 05-Mar-18 20:38:16

I think I must be of a different generation albeit I am a gran. I am regularly dismayed reading how some of our GNs are treated and generally regarded by their OH. I could not and could never have been with such men for five minutes. I just don't get it how you are. He clearly regards you as his domestic slave - there to look after him like a mother does a child. OMG this is pervy.

trooper7133 Mon 05-Mar-18 20:31:14

Husband would soon be my ex husband!

specki4eyes Mon 05-Mar-18 19:57:44

Stick a bat down his pyjamas.grin

Coolgran65 Mon 05-Mar-18 19:25:59

Ooops.... sorry Lucky about wrong name. I am so sorry and hope I haven't upset you.flowers

Thank you MawBroon it should indeed have been over60plus

over60plus my previous post was meant for you.

MawBroon Mon 05-Mar-18 18:33:06

But over60plus
I think luckygirl’s DH is as poorly as she is at the moment with the added complication of PD.

MawBroon Mon 05-Mar-18 18:31:01

I don’t think this was lucky!

Coolgran65 Mon 05-Mar-18 18:28:48

I am so sad reading of how uncaring some husbands are and have been. Our later years should't be like this.
Lucky how wonderful that your GP laid into your husband and hopefully told him a few home truths. Perhaps this could be a turning point in your relationship.... for the better.

When you are feeling better you can recall how he behaved and explain how this affects your respect for him. etc. A few household tasks could have his name on them, or he pays for a cleaning lady.

Wishing everyone well who lives with an uncaring and thoughtless husband. May you all find the strength to make your thoughts very clear.

bikergran Mon 05-Mar-18 18:13:34

Over60 my dad is 82 my mum alo 82..he is scared * when my mum is ill as he thinks she is going to die!

She collapsed last year on the floor and wasnt well..so he gets frightened and maybe comes over he doesn't care..but really he is just so frightened. so I can see where your dh is coming from. I hope his bedside manner improves a little ..take care

willa45 Mon 05-Mar-18 17:57:31

Hi, it's me, Willa again...

Just wanted to point out Over60, that no matter how difficult it is for some people to 'cope', looking the other way doesn't cut it when a loved one is seriously ill, helpless and suffering! So, having said that, your clod of a H won't get a pass from me.

I'm really happy to hear that someone else laid out the truth for him and that he may have gotten the message. Please do take care of yourself going forward. You have my prayers and my best wishes for a full recovery.
Healing hugs from Willa

allsortsofbags Mon 05-Mar-18 13:14:45

over 60plus, hope you are feeling a little better today. I don't suppose your OH has changed at all in the last 24 hours but I hope the messages you've had from GNers has helped lift your spirit a little.

As many have already said, recovery from Flu takes time so take it easy and be kind to yourself. Virtual Hugs and flowers for you too.

Best Wishes and Take Care of you :-)

MissAdventure Mon 05-Mar-18 12:13:30

Good for your GP.
I don't understand the idea that being afraid to lose someone makes it ok to treat them badly.
I'm glad you're feeling better, and on track to being treated more respectfully. smile

KirbyGirl Mon 05-Mar-18 12:08:47

Thank you over60plus for your follow up. It is really nice to get one. I hope things go better for you.

over60plus Mon 05-Mar-18 11:37:53

Update wears taken back to hospital kept in for 3 days Oxygen levels low and I have bruises my ribs through coughing, feel tons better and thanks for all you concerns I have laid a few ground rules down his answer well I was scared you were going to die, I said how scared was I any way local GP came this morning she understands he does not cope but boy did she lay into him he actually made us a cup of coffee so onwards and upwards

sodapop Mon 05-Mar-18 08:38:29

That made me laugh Steph must remember it next time I need a curse.

Although not condoning your husband's behaviour over60 I do like to be left alone when I am ill. I don't want offers of drinks, food or anything else just leave me be. I suppose its different though knowing the help is there if needed.

BlueBelle Mon 05-Mar-18 08:32:07

Holly at poster has said he s always been like it
I remember when I was having a miscarriage in the bathroom three small children downstairs he knocked on the bathroom door and asked if I d nearly finished as he was waiting to go out ... he did go out and very kindly knocked on a friends door and asked her to come and help me and he rang the ambulance on his way past the phone box ( no mobiles in those day)
We did divorce

johnofwhixall Mon 05-Mar-18 08:15:34

to all misandrist's; its swings and roundabouts you know
Having had the damnable virus and coughed so hard I broke a rib I still had to wait hand and foot on my millstone

For better or worse they need to define how worse before you can exercise your get out clause

Hollycat Sun 04-Mar-18 23:49:02

Yes he's selfish, but is he always like this? Perhaps you being hospitalised frightened him (if he ignores it it will go away)? I'm usually "allowed" to be ill for three days, then I get prodded to my feet like a sick horse, "I'm sure you'll feel better if you get up and have a shower". But when I was hospitalised with pneumonia he was very shaken and worried.

TyneAngel Sun 04-Mar-18 20:10:37

Dear Over60, this darn virus lingers and then often returns, sometimes more than once, it's been a rotten winter for lots of us and it does make you depressed, so please take the utmost care of yourself and take your time getting back to normal. Be your own best friend. Lots of love coming at you from this site, and from me xx

aggie Sun 04-Mar-18 16:52:43

Oh I hope he doesn't get the flu ! Because I bet you would be Mother Teresa and Florence Nightingale rolled into one and exhaust yourself , I do hope you feel better soon , and remember Karma comes aroundflowersbrewcupcake

damewithaname Sun 04-Mar-18 16:47:18

Unappreciative is what he is. Take the time you need.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 04-Mar-18 16:47:05

Also been unwell and had to take to my bed for nearly 2 weeks anwith some virus and this was just after my knee replacement op. My OH did however come out tops and was totally on his knees by the time I felt better. So I booked us into a Spa Resort for 3 days to recover and as a treat. Suggest you sort out YOUR ironing and washing and book yourself into somewhere without the OH to recover. Just leave him to get on with it and I would seriously look at the relationship you have with him and decide if this is what you want for the rest of your life. I wish the dreaded flu on him

Eloethan Sun 04-Mar-18 16:32:11

Steph I'm not usually vindictive but that made me smile

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sun 04-Mar-18 16:31:23

Sounds like my oh. I could die in bed and he would only notice when the animals were starving to death (hopefully!) or when worked called to ask why I wasn't in. I had an operation a few years ago, local anaesthetic, he took me to hospital, picked me up, dropped me at home and disappeared for the rest of weekend leaving me to fend for myself! I slept a lot and managed to feed the pets and ordered takeaway for me. Was one of many instances that made me lose respect for him sad

Steph5108 Sun 04-Mar-18 16:20:30

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest his nether regions, and his arms be too short to scratch................!