Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Single grandparenting

(43 Posts)
Singlegrannie Mon 19-Mar-18 08:51:20

My DH died 12 years ago, before our only daughter had met her future husband or had children. I have not been in another relationship since, haven't met anyone who interested me, and am now used to being on my own.
I now have two adorable grandchildren, a girl of 3 and a boy of one, and I live within walking distance. They have two grandparents on their father's side who live a couple of hours drive away. I have a few pictures of my DH around, and my DGD has asked who he is.
I have said "Grandad X" and that was enough but recently she asked where he was and if she could see him. It is hard to explain death to a three year old without upsetting her or getting upset myself.
Had anyone found a good way to cope with this one ? I realise it must be so much worse for a child if a grandparent they have known and loved dies when they are very young,

LuckyFour Mon 19-Mar-18 14:52:17

I think you Gd's parents should be the ones to tell her where G is. Either that or ask them what you should say to her. They may have a different view on how or when to talk about dying to you Gd's.

Jalima1108 Mon 19-Mar-18 15:24:09

DGD2 was sad and cried but then very matter-of-fact about her other grandad's death, she was about 3 when he died. When I was taking her out one day she pointed to his old house and said 'That's where Grandad J lived. He died and he's in heaven now with S'. 'S' was the cat. She said she wasn't sad because she knew he was happy and there were other people there too.

Atheists may not wish to use that explanation, of course, but it is easy for little children to understand until they learn more and make up their own minds about life and death.

Farawaynanny Mon 19-Mar-18 15:47:38

My husband died when my GS was 3. My daughter explaining that grandad had died was taken aback by Georges response. Having asked why Grandad died and being told that he was very poorly and the doctors hadn’t been able to make him better, he responded with “ Did he eat too many sweeties”?

Morgana Mon 19-Mar-18 15:54:35

I was teaching a small group of 6 years olds a couple of years ago, when one little girl informed us all that her granny had 'flown up into the sky'! It prompted a very interesting discussion with the more logical children saying that that was impossible!

Legs55 Mon 19-Mar-18 16:41:47

I would answer any questions honestly, children are very resilient. My DGS1 was almost 3 when my DH died, he still remembered Gramps & both DD (he was her adored Step-F) & I have a photo of us as a couple in the house. DGS1 told my DD when she was pregnant with DGS2 that he would play "peek-a-boo" with his little brother just like Gramps did with him, DGS1 is 7 now so the memory is still there.

My DD had difficulty understanding why her Granddad wasn't my Dad, she was about 4. I had to explain that my Dad had died & Granny had married Granddad before she was born, took her a little while to understand. A few times of asking me & then nothing more was said. Recently she has asked me about my DF as I rarely talk about him, I was in my early 20s when he died, DD is now 37, she is interested in her Ancestry.

I was widowed 5 years ago & the sadness is that DGS2 will never know his Gramps, my DH would have adored having another DGS. I am also unattached & other GPs are a couple. Children accept straightforward facts, if you get upset explain why you are upset & that you still miss your DH, children understand more than we give them credit for. Hope all goes wellflowers

bikergran Mon 19-Mar-18 17:01:44

My gdsons are also missing a grandad...(my dad is still here and my mum so they have great granparents) but they are 82 and cannot run around etc..

so yes like many have to be "mum and dad" we sometimes have to be Gran and grandad..I suppose children just accept.

My gs are 11 and 3 n half.

so the 3 n half has never seen met his Gd
a few months ago...he suddenly said to his mum (my DD)
Grandad is taking me to the park after...she said which grandad as knew it certainly couldnt be my dad ) he pointed the my dhs photo and said "that one"! hmmm...

Crazygrandma2 Mon 19-Mar-18 17:48:45

We have a wall of family photos in our dining room going back a couple of generations. They are of my H family and mine. Many of the people are now dead. It has provided hours of discussion by family and visitors and the GC just know they were all part of our family and people we loved. They know they are dead.

BlueBelle Mon 19-Mar-18 17:54:45

Two of my grandkids only have me, as their deceased dad s dad died before they were born and his mum who they only met a couple of times when they were very little soon afterwards They re very limited bless them one parent and one grandparent

MargaretX Mon 19-Mar-18 17:55:19

My GCs learnt about death through family pets dying. GD found the rabbit dead of shock in the hutch. She had forgotten to shut them up and the fox or wiesel got in.

It was her fault. She couldn't stop crying in school and in the end all the girls in her class were crying, so the teacher gave them a talk about death and dying. What a morning!

Then they had to pull themselves together and they did and when GD came home she was quite calm.

The fact of death is treated as natural if parents and grandparents dont make it up into something else.
Why not shed a tear?

M0nica Mon 19-Mar-18 18:37:04

DDiL's father died when she was 5 after a longish illness. She has photos of him on display and he has always been part of family conversation since DGC were tiny. The children accepted, at a very young age, that they only had one living grandfather and that Mummy's Daddy had died when she was only 5. His widow never remarried and she is the grandmother they see most as she lives close by. It has never been an issue.

DeeWBW Mon 19-Mar-18 18:48:52

When I worked as a counsellor in a hospice, I came across a brilliant book for explaining death to young children. It talked about (and I can’t remember the exact name, though someone out there might be able to help me) a particular creature which started as a bug in the water but, when it matures, it flies from the water to find a new life. Once it has done this, it can’t come back into the water but we know that it has grown up and gone on to another place. It was such a beautiful story, better if I knew what creature I was talking about, though. A dragonfly or something, maybe? Yes, I’ve just googled it. The larvae turn into dragonflies, then leave the water, in their majesty of colours, so it can be a pretty story and not a one to be afraid to tell.

Millie8 Mon 19-Mar-18 19:24:25

There is a lot of good advise here for you. My Mum died when I was 2 and although I always knew this, I felt I couldnt ask my Dad about her because I didnt want to upset him. If I did ask or on the odd occasion he mentioned her, he would suddenly change the subject, so I learned not to ask. I feel that if he had told me that yes, he got upset when talking about her but he wanted to and wanted me to know about her and had photos of her around the place, i would have been able to ask. There is so much I wanted to ask and now its too late. Having a Step Mum made it more difficult for him as he couldnt mention my Mum infront of her. Thank fully you dont have that problem. I personally, dont think its a bad thing for children to see adults upset as long as they know why. It teaches them that its ok to cry.
Hope you feel supported by all the wonderful messages here.

Summerstorm Mon 19-Mar-18 22:14:00

I was a childminder when my husband died and my minders parents had obviously explained as I had some time of until after the creamation service etc. The first day back when I collected them from school they said that they were very sorry about what had happened and that they understood that he wasn't in the cemetery like their granny that he had gone up to heaven in a puff of smoke from the big fire at the creamatorium. They were very fond of him and I thought their explanation was wonderful

Singlegrannie Tue 20-Mar-18 06:52:46

Thank you all for your advice and support. I have been honest with my DGD and used the word "died". I don't think she understands what it means, but I hope that we will be able to talk about him more as she gets older. I do agree that her parents should be the ones to explain but they have never been around at the relevant time. At the moment she is so young and innocent that I want to protect her from all upset, but I do realise that it can't be done !

M0nica Tue 20-Mar-18 08:35:40

Children, even little ones, should not be protected from the circumstances of ordinary life. It makes them vulnerable and more likely to be distressed when they do find out.

By talking about death when your granddauughter doesn't quite understand it enables her to grow into understanding of death in her own way.

Grandma70s Tue 20-Mar-18 13:05:39

I’ve always been a single grandma. My husband died long before I had any grandchildren. I’ve never given it a thought, apart from being pleased they have a nice grandpa in my DIL’s father.

Not long ago my little granddaughter (4 at the time) worked out that I was Daddy’s mummy and asked where Daddy’s daddy was. My son just said that he had died when he (my son) was a little boy. GD looked sad for a minute but accepted it easily.

Franbern Sat 24-Mar-18 11:04:09

My youngest child (a boy), died when he was 25 years old. At that time I had only one g.child, a toddler. Since his death a further seven have been born and are growing up (four in their teens and the other four all school age). The first one born after his death was named for him (although the female version of his name).
All my children have photos of him in their homes, and all have talked about to their children about their dead Uncle G.
As we are a family of definite atheists, there has never been anything about heaven, or meeting again, etc. etc.
We talk about his life, and laugh about some of his shortcomings. All the children have grown up knowing that Uncle G is dead, but we all still love his memory very much.
None of them have ever had any sort of problems with this.