How do I stop a cat coming into my garden...

Dianic Mon 28-May-18 12:24:37

I need help GNers please! I have recently been very poorly - had a heart attack, had an angiogram and a stent fitted all within a couple of days - but this was at the beginning of April and I'm recovering nicely.
DH and I have been doing a little gardening over the past week and I'm being visited nightly by a cat which comes over the fence, sits on one of my planters and does his business. It makes a poor attempt at a cover up and then sods off. It's revolting and I'm gobsmacked really as I have 2 staffy rescue dogs! I haven't yet planted this container as I've not had time to go and buy any plants. Now I'n concerned that the cat is getting used to being in my garden and might dig up any plants I put in the container...
We actually checked the CCTV cameras just now to see where he comes in and goes out. I like cats but I don't appreciate this one. So, has anyone else had this happen and what did you do? I don't want to hurt the cat in any way, I just want to know if there's anything I can do to deter it and convince it to choose somewhere else for its nocturnal toilet needs?

Nanabilly Mon 28-May-18 12:58:53

Apparently cats don't like their own reflection and plastic pop bottles filled with water are said to spook them or try dangling old cd's on strong or a pot lifelike cat. Orange peel scattered round might help but keep it fresh.
Don't put anything down to harm other people's pets though.

Dianic Mon 28-May-18 13:08:12

Thanks Nanabilly - I used to have cats myself which is why I'm trying to find a "kind" solution. It visits at 3.30am so at least my dogs won't get it...

Greyduster Mon 28-May-18 13:29:40

You could lie in wait with one of your dogs! A good noisy scare might be all it needs. You could put a tent of chicken wire over the pot until it gets the message. Or, as I did once when desperation set in, discretely placed spiky twigs of pyracantha among the plants. It worked. I’m sure there are those who will have kinder solutions.

Willow500 Mon 28-May-18 13:31:36

There's a product called lion dung - I think the product name is Silent Roar which some people find effective. You could sprinkle it on the flower pot in question if that is where the cat is going mostly. I have cats but one only ever uses the litter tray and doesn't go out of the garden - the other one is the opposite and although I frequently see him peeing up bushes and trees in our garden I rarely see where he goes to poo. It's impossible to keep him in the house let alone the garden so it does bother me whose garden he's using.

Hope you soon feel better.

jusnoneed Mon 28-May-18 13:36:47

You will never stop them, tried various things over the years. They don't like the smell of orange as Nanabilly said, everytime I eat one I put the peel where I know one tries to get to. As for your planter, cover it until you have plants or put sticks in it (maybe add some string around them) or I too have put something prickly - pyracantha or holly from my plants - to keep them off.
My OH has now made wooden frames to put nets over for the veggie beds because everything he has tried hasn't worked. Bottles of water, cd's flapping about, scarers that look like cats etc.

OldMeg Mon 28-May-18 13:36:57

Lie in wait and give it a fright. I’m assuming your Staffies will chase it but not hurt? Once should do the trick.

yggdrasil Mon 28-May-18 13:47:58

get a cat of your own to reclaim the territory :-)

hildajenniJ Mon 28-May-18 14:04:07

My son recommends a water pistol or a super soaker. He says fire one at the cat and that will deter it. I had a dog up until just after Christmas, she was a good deterrent, but now three different cats walk through my garden and one has taken to doing its business in the flower border. 😬😬

NanaMacGeek Mon 28-May-18 14:08:14

A friend recommended used teabags sprinkled with Olbas Oil drops. I haven't tried it yet.

BlueBelle Mon 28-May-18 14:48:00

Lion dung is a waste of money prickly branches have no effect they tip toe between them I bought an electronic noise thing that humans can’t hear sent it back with a phot of a cat pooing on it !!! I ve tried everything from bought powder, pepper, curry powder Zilch The other morning I planted a big pot with bulbs to find some bxxxxxcat had done a poo right in the middle
Why people don’t litter tray train their cats and them just put the little tray outside the door I do not know
Water pistol would work but they never come when you’re armed and you can’t sit in wait all day
Grrrrrrr

lemongrove Mon 28-May-18 14:55:50

All these things are a complete waste of money.Unless you have a dog stationed regularly in the garden, or a rather aggressive cat of your own, forget it!
Cats are free agents and will roam wherever they like.🐱

MaizieD Mon 28-May-18 15:14:32

My 2 cats do it to me. I have nearly 20 acres in which they could pooh but no, they prefer a nice container with easily scratched up earth in it. Preferably freshly planted or seeded sad

I'd suggest you put some fine netting across it (well anchored down, of course) and once it's planted up put a layer of coarse gravel over the soil. That's a good thing to do, anyway, as it helps to retain moisture. It looks nice, too.

Dianic Mon 28-May-18 16:01:23

Thank you all for your replies... It's a bugger, isn't it? I might have to do an all-nighter with DH and get the water pistol or fairy liquid bottle out and soak the little git!

Thanks Willow - I will get better, just need to pace myself and stay off work as long as possible!!

OldMeg, I'd have to let the dogs out on long lines or they'd definitely attack the cat. One of them is a Rottie cross, so I couldn't take a chance - fabulous guard dog though smile

MaizieD - that's just typical, isn't it? Lol!

lemongrove - I fear you're right.

BlueBelle - the pic of the cat pooing on the electronic thingy - oh golly that gave me such a laugh!

I might try creosoting the outer side of the fence and see if the smell deters it. (Fence needs painting anyway) and once planted, I'll deffo put a layer of gravel on the surface. I have that on the other containers. smile

Belgravian Mon 28-May-18 16:12:17

Put the anti cat rubber strips on the top of your fence.

Belgravian Mon 28-May-18 16:13:03

www.primrose.co.uk/-p-43600.html?adtype=pla&kwd=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0a7YBRDnARIsAJgsF3O5PibBK4GQ4XMtqHw6cKOOnGDMabm5rydSYdvJjHciT7y_B1nJcTkaAoEbEALw_wcB

Teetime Mon 28-May-18 16:16:29

We have totally stopped cats coming into our garden with a device from Amazon that emits a high pitched noise only cats can here (some other animals and my nephew apparently)> They are about £30 each we have two and no more pesky cats and their little parcels

M0nica Mon 28-May-18 16:23:24

DD scatters her veg patch with clippings from her holly tree. This discourages them.

shysal Mon 28-May-18 16:30:11

Plant a Berberis or Holly in the pot!

phoenix Mon 28-May-18 17:35:19

Bluebelle Why people don’t litter tray train their cats and them just put the little tray outside the door I do not know

Both my current cats are litter tray trained, but if I put the tray outside I would probably have every cat in the close using it! (And my lovely neighbour next door currently has 10 under her care! shock)

The bottom line line is that you will not stop them, any more than you could stop squirrels, hedgehogs, foxes etc. You just have to adopt strategies to "manage" them.

silversurf Mon 28-May-18 18:09:21

Try mothballs.

Dianic Mon 28-May-18 20:39:17

I'll let you know how I get on!! Thanks for that link Belgravian... have sent it to DH so he can see how the spike strips are secured. smile

Deedaa Mon 28-May-18 22:25:11

Our cats started using a rather threadbare patch of grass outside the back door. In the hot weather it really stank. I scattered prunings from our Mahonia over it and they lost interest in it very quickly!

phoenix Mon 28-May-18 22:48:16

Yes, silversurf but first you have to catch and castrate the moths!

Easier said than done.

Bathsheba Mon 28-May-18 23:11:13

phoenix gringringrin