Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do I stop a cat coming into my garden...

(88 Posts)
Dianic Mon 28-May-18 12:24:37

I need help GNers please! I have recently been very poorly - had a heart attack, had an angiogram and a stent fitted all within a couple of days - but this was at the beginning of April and I'm recovering nicely.
DH and I have been doing a little gardening over the past week and I'm being visited nightly by a cat which comes over the fence, sits on one of my planters and does his business. It makes a poor attempt at a cover up and then sods off. It's revolting and I'm gobsmacked really as I have 2 staffy rescue dogs! I haven't yet planted this container as I've not had time to go and buy any plants. Now I'n concerned that the cat is getting used to being in my garden and might dig up any plants I put in the container...
We actually checked the CCTV cameras just now to see where he comes in and goes out. I like cats but I don't appreciate this one. So, has anyone else had this happen and what did you do? I don't want to hurt the cat in any way, I just want to know if there's anything I can do to deter it and convince it to choose somewhere else for its nocturnal toilet needs?

Eloethan Mon 28-May-18 23:43:50

Cats apparently don't like orange peel. Also, you can get a device that emits a noise that they don't like. We have one and it seems to work.

I do like cats (though I prefer dogs) but I understand your frustration.

SpringyChicken Tue 29-May-18 00:19:40

Spray your boundary fence, paths, patio areas etc with Jeyes Fluid solution. The smell lingers for ages and cats don't like it. Reapply after rain. Avoid spraying plants and soil. Once the cat is no longer in the habit of visiting your garden, you can stop spraying.

joemaxster2018 Tue 29-May-18 07:11:17

Let’s hope your neighbours appreciate the smell of the Jeyes Fluid. Please make sure it is well diluted as it could be toxic if sprayed neat.

Dianic Tue 29-May-18 07:59:38

SpringyChicken I'll have to check that the Jeyes fluid isn't toxic to dogs... We already have hospital grade disinfectant for the fake grass when it hums, so I could try that.

harrigran Tue 29-May-18 09:49:06

I have solved the problem completely by changing the garden fence. We replaced the wooden fence with a steel one which the cats can not climb. I spent a long time looking for someone to provide and fit the fence, it is very popular in Australia, and eventually found a company in Scotland who would travel to do the work.
I have not had a cat in my garden for seven years, the birds love the fact they have found a safe haven.

humptydumpty Tue 29-May-18 09:52:18

Dianic the easiest solution might be to accept the situation and get another planter - the cat has obviously adopted this one as it's litter tray, maybe he will leave a new one alone..

Missfoodlove Tue 29-May-18 09:58:08

My daughter had the same problem but on her doorstep!
I bought some menthol crystals from the pharmacy and sprinkled them around the step.
Worked a treat! Apparently vinegar or tea tree works too.

sazz1 Tue 29-May-18 10:01:24

I've read somewhere that black pepper sprinkled on the flower bed stops cats going there. Don't know if it works but maybe worth a try.

mischief Tue 29-May-18 10:16:28

I had this problem in the winter months when there are bare patches of ground. My garden comes within next door's cat's territory. When the plants start coming through though it goes elsewhere.

Plant up the pot. Any spare bits of ground put a plant in it or place plant stems like roses, without the thorns, across it so they can't sit down.

Works for me and she just strolls across my garden now and goes elsewhere.

Aepgirl Tue 29-May-18 10:22:51

Sprinkle pepper where it is using your carden as a loo. They hate the smell of the pepper.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 29-May-18 10:26:00

Ive been following this thread with interest as I have the same problems with neighbour's cats. I've found dried orange peel crumbled on the top of pots has some effect.
Also sprayed my box balls with diluted orange oil as one cat started spraying on one of them and killed a large patch of foliage. It's less visible after three years but that spot is still dead.
I've bought some of those fence spikes but haven't put them up yet, do they work?

ReadyMeals Tue 29-May-18 10:39:18

Usually cats like to go where the soil is softest as that gives them the best chance of covering up. If your neighbor has a garden that is all paved or never digs their soil to keep it soft, then the cat will have to go further to find somewhere to poop. Do you have another corner of your garden you could keep well dug over to entice him away from your planter? To make sure he will stop using it, and also to stop squirrels digging in it, I have found beach pebbles to be effective - place a solid layer all over the top of the soil in your planter. They look good too!

holdingontometeeth Tue 29-May-18 10:55:51

www.jparkers.co.uk/6-cat-shoo-green-1009058c?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr_nRntKq2wIVzJPtCh0qywlBEAQYBCABEgLxd_D_BwE

I bought a Masterblaster, a high powered kids water pistol.
Never had any luck with soaking the cats, but had lots of fun trying.

Witzend Tue 29-May-18 11:26:40

A neighbour's cat often used to lurk under shrubs in our garden, waiting to,pounce on the birds we feed and water.

Plenty of nice prickly pyracantha prunings strewn over its hiding places seemed to work quite well!

Legs55 Tue 29-May-18 11:34:33

I have spray bottles by my front & back doors, not to use on cats invading my garden but for my neighbours when they feed my "hell cat" when I'm awaygrin. He's very territorial but the softest, soppiest cat around me (he goes for feet!!)

My cat is litter trained but hates using it preferring outside (couldn't put tray outside as it would get soaked in the rain). He does love using my garden when I've dug it over.

My neighbour has tried every deterrent going as all the cats seem to use her garden, none of them has workedhmm. I agree with others, just make it impossible for cat to get onto the pot & it'll get the message.

GabriellaG Tue 29-May-18 11:34:35

You can buy cat and dig repellent pellets and sprays in most hardware stores, Homebase, B&Q and places like The Original Factory Shop for about £3.
I recently bought the spray to stop a fox coming into the garden and it worked.

GabriellaG Tue 29-May-18 11:35:10

Dog not dig blush

valeriej43 Tue 29-May-18 11:42:10

Wilkinsons sell cat repellant for gardens,
Al;so orange or lemon peel is supposed to repel them, never tried these as i have cats of my own,but might test it in a spot they use

grannysyb Tue 29-May-18 11:45:47

Get a pump action water pistol and mix citronella oil with the water. Cats hate citrus!

henetha Tue 29-May-18 11:49:22

If I've got empty pots waiting to be planted I always lay a few prickly sticks over the top, digging a couple in a bit so they
are not easily removed. It seems to work.

Joelise Tue 29-May-18 11:52:15

I have used , with great success, used coffee grounds, store them up evey day and sprinkle liberally, it's works brilliantly, unlike orange peel and the useless device that we bought from Amazon! If I forget to do it, the cats return to pee everywhere!

youngagain Tue 29-May-18 12:01:36

I had a problem with foxes digging up flower beds and eating the bulbs. After filling in holes for 5 mornings on the trot I bought some garlic, halved the cloves, stuck them under the surface of the earth - no more foxes!!! I also have a cat but he usually uses his litter tray indoors overnight, so no 'parcels' left outdoors. I now have a problem with squirrels digging in my pots and garden so I am off to buy more garlic and will again halve the cloves and put them under the surface of the soil. Trouble is, I hate garlic, so don't normally buy it, but it does work!

youngagain Tue 29-May-18 12:07:18

I have a large garden pot which is 3/4 full of compost, waiting for me to plant up. The warmer weather has meant that the compost in the pot gets really warm and the ideal place for my cat to lie and bask in the sun!!! I have tried putting sticks in the pot - he lies on top of them. I have tried laying the sticks on top of the pot - he knocks them off and then lies down in the pot. Trouble is that when he comes indoors, so does the compost from the pot which sticks to his fur! Garlic cloves going in this pot too I think.

GreenGran78 Tue 29-May-18 12:09:17

If you make it difficult for the cat to get into your garden, with a flimsy fence topping, netting your gates etc, they will sometimes go to a place with easier access, instead. Of course, it depends on how practical it would be to catproof the place.

muffinthemoo Tue 29-May-18 12:17:29

Can you let the dogs out during the day but keep an eye on them? The cats might be more reluctant to visit if they know the dogs might be around when they do?

Next door’s cat has not visited us at all since our big lad gave her a terrible fright one afternoon whilst he was out napping in the grass under the bird table. Cat wasn’t harmed at all but has decided discretion is the better part of valour!!