Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do I stop a cat coming into my garden...

(88 Posts)
Dianic Mon 28-May-18 12:24:37

I need help GNers please! I have recently been very poorly - had a heart attack, had an angiogram and a stent fitted all within a couple of days - but this was at the beginning of April and I'm recovering nicely.
DH and I have been doing a little gardening over the past week and I'm being visited nightly by a cat which comes over the fence, sits on one of my planters and does his business. It makes a poor attempt at a cover up and then sods off. It's revolting and I'm gobsmacked really as I have 2 staffy rescue dogs! I haven't yet planted this container as I've not had time to go and buy any plants. Now I'n concerned that the cat is getting used to being in my garden and might dig up any plants I put in the container...
We actually checked the CCTV cameras just now to see where he comes in and goes out. I like cats but I don't appreciate this one. So, has anyone else had this happen and what did you do? I don't want to hurt the cat in any way, I just want to know if there's anything I can do to deter it and convince it to choose somewhere else for its nocturnal toilet needs?

NfkDumpling Sat 02-Jun-18 04:32:59

The ginger beast that prowls our garden is much in evidence at the moment. The sparrows are fledging. The blackbirds are fledgling. For something that’s bright ginger he can vanish surprisingly well. The hose trap is out!

muffinthemoo Sat 02-Jun-18 12:24:38

My big doggy lad has of his own volition faithfully guarded the nest boxes and bird table every summer for several years now.

I have not seen the local cats in our garden for some time.

No harm to them but our local bird population needs all the help it can get!!

gmelon Sat 02-Jun-18 15:55:32

I used soap. Coal tar soap and lemon soap. Grated a mixture of the two across my flower beds. Worked a treat. Plus it dissolves .
My next door neighbour and I had never said more than hello.
A tentative approach ensued from her and her husband asking why I was grating cheese on my plants. Did it encourage growth?
I'm not sure that finding out it was soap made me seem any less odd!

gillybob Sat 02-Jun-18 16:19:51

Doesn’t it all foam up in the rain though gmelon ? I would try anything to stop next doors horrible cat.

gmelon Sat 02-Jun-18 17:35:41

No it doesn't foam. If you pour water on soap it melts. Eventually. Imagine you had a wet bar of soap.
Coal tar soap is quite dense and lasts through quite a few weeks. The smell is still n the earth for a while even after soap has melted.
The cheapest lemon soap bar is best because it is hard and dense.

gillybob Sat 02-Jun-18 18:43:16

Thank you for that tip gmelon I will definitely give it a try .

Peaseblossom Tue 05-Jun-18 23:09:06

I bought a solar cat/animal repeller for the garden. Didn't do a thing. The cats used to go within a few inches of it. GRRRR!!! I complained and got a refund. I usually put holly clippings over the ground, on pots. Small sticks in the pots to deter digging.

Humbertbear Wed 06-Jun-18 07:14:13

We bought a cat deterrent from Amazon. It sits on the front lawn and when it detects motion emits a sound that only animals can hear. I don’t know where next door’s cat does it’s business but are front lawn is now clean. We have one in the back garden as well and that deters cats and foxes who were digging up our shrubs.

BonyWillis Sat 09-Jun-18 16:50:25

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

NanTheWiser Sat 09-Jun-18 18:33:13

Reported, not what we need on GN!

gillybob Sat 09-Jun-18 18:41:27

Oh go away Bony !

LynneB59 Sat 09-Jun-18 19:29:16

Bluebelle.... I've had cats for 38 years. All have had litter trays, but one of mine used to use our own lawn as a toilet! The remaining cat I've got now never ever uses a litter tray. He's got one here (all clean and fresh) and he stays in all night but doesn't use it. The one and only time he used it was when we were on holiday and the cat-sitter didn't call here as he should have done.

Cat owners have no control over where their cats go. I don't think there's yet an effective deterrent