Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Gift for a new Baby

(10 Posts)
Jean321 Sun 01-Jul-18 16:35:35

I am looking for ideas for a gift for a new baby and what the modern Mum would appreciate. My neighbour has just had a little boy and I would love to give a little gift that she would appreciate and find useful. It is such a long time since I have had to do this and I have no idea what modern Mums would like. Also there is a acquaintance of my husbands who is having a baby in July so I would very much appreciate any advice please.

mimiro Sun 01-Jul-18 16:44:27

basket of baby goodies/lotions etc
i always put things in for stressed mom too.
most recent rock and roll babys mom i gave 3 new cds,chocolate and a gift card to her favorite shop.

Melanieeastanglia Sun 01-Jul-18 17:37:57

I always go somewhere like Mothercare, Boots, M & S or Debenhams. Any item of clothing you buy from there will be good quality and up-to-date. In case it is duplicated or not wanted, I enclose a gift receipt and then the gift can be changed easily.

Sometimes I buy something for a 6 month old child because everybody buys a lot of things for a newborn child. When the child gets to 6 months old, you have nothing for them to wear!

mcem Sun 01-Jul-18 18:18:53

A useful little gift is a hooded bathtowel.
I have often given these when it's not a close friend and extravagant gifts aren't appropriate.
I agree with buying a size bigger (allowing for season!)
My DD recently bought age 6-9 months for a tiny new baby but bought pretty summer dresses!

Jean321 Tue 03-Jul-18 12:20:48

Thank you all very much some great ideas.

PamelaJ1 Tue 03-Jul-18 15:02:46

I have a stock of cutlery and crockery sets that can be regifted if they already have a set. I work on the principle that as the baby won’t need them for awhile others may not have thought about them.

Soupy Tue 03-Jul-18 15:08:49

I'd go with larger size clothing or maybe a book for the baby.
If there's an older child then I usually add in some chocolate buttons or something for them.

muffinthemoo Tue 03-Jul-18 15:09:06

Plain white vests are always gratefully received by me!!

ginny Tue 03-Jul-18 15:37:30

I’d go with a book / books. Can never have too many and can be re gifted if duplicated.

NotAGran55 Tue 03-Jul-18 18:38:55

I would buy a wooden toy - stacking rings probably.