Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Excluded from holiday planing

(88 Posts)
Superqueen Tue 24-Jul-18 20:09:44

It is our 34th wedding anniversary this year my husband seems to have left me out of any planning on a holiday he has just booked it himself for us . Am I being silly to feel just a tyrophy person to tag along?

MamaCaz Thu 26-Jul-18 08:44:47

I think BlueBelle is right.
I have re-read the OP many times, and am still not even sure if the mention of the wedding anniversary has any relevance at all, beyond letting us know how long they have been married.
superqueen, please could you clarify: Is your complaint that your DH has been arranging your holidays like this for all those years, which I am quite sure many of us would agree is very unfair if you are not happy about that, or is it just a one-off situation this year related, in some way, to your anniversary?

harrigran Thu 26-Jul-18 08:57:13

janea we used to stay at the youth hostel at Once Brewed and walk along to the Twice Brewed for a restorative beverage after a day walking the wall. If we timed it right we could hitch a lift back to Newcastle with the university climbing club. Wonderful memories of weekends spent in beautiful countryside.

janeainsworth Thu 26-Jul-18 09:10:05

harrigran I used to love youth hostelling. Never made it up to Northumberland, but I was fascinated by the sound of Once Brewed smile.
We went all over the Lakes, the Peak District and the Yorkshire Dales.

MawBroon Thu 26-Jul-18 09:13:32

I don’t understand this use of “trophy person” either.
OP sounds pretty fed up, but who are we to judge as we haven’t been told what this holiday involves.
A week in a B and B in Bognor? (Apologies to the south coast)
A cruise down the Rhine?
A luxury villa on the Med?

FarNorth Thu 26-Jul-18 10:36:41

It doesn't matter what the holiday involves, if the op is unhappy that she never gets a say.
If that is the case, superqueen, you really need to speak up. Insist on having a day in the holiday planning and/or don't go to whatever he's booked.
Do you feel your DH overlooks you and your wishes in other ways, or only over holidays?

Jalima1108 Thu 26-Jul-18 10:38:35

I suppose if the land was fairly flat that would be OK janea!

FarNorth Thu 26-Jul-18 10:38:37

insist on having a say*
(autocorrect changes that word for me every time! angry)

janeainsworth Thu 26-Jul-18 10:57:16

There was one day when we seemed to do more walking than cycling ????

Florence64 Fri 27-Jul-18 08:11:09

Superqueen I hope it's something really wonderful, do let us know when you find out!

Brismum Fri 27-Jul-18 10:11:11

Please give us more information Superqueen. When is your anniversary? Have you not asked where you’re going if it’s getting closer? Do let us know.

Nonu Fri 03-Aug-18 09:45:23

That doesn"t arise in our house, as it is me who does the booking , after a bit of consultation.

janeainsworth Fri 03-Aug-18 22:04:13

Hello nonu! Where’ve you been? ?