Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Brave the Shave, part 2

(32 Posts)
phoenix Wed 25-Jul-18 11:23:45

Well, my pack arrived this morning, and I have spoken to my hairdresser (who by the way is horrified! shock but some people I have spoken to about it think that as my hair is quite short anyway, (short cut, i.e no length to tie back, but with 3 to 4 inch layers) that it's hardly a "sacrifice".

I was planning to go for a number 5 clipper cut all over, which still counts as a shave, but have been a bit disheartened by some responses.

I know when I first posted about it on here there were mixed feelings, but overall most members were supportive.

I am hoping to get it done on August 7th, just a few days after my 60th birthday.

What do the Grans think, should I still go ahead (no pun intended! smile

FlexibleFriend Thu 26-Jul-18 09:22:42

Sorry but clippers do not make it a shave. Anything longer than a No. 2 isn't a shave, no offence. A No.5 will look like a bog brush, so yeah that's brave but the point is it's still long enough to have cut again into a pixie style haircut, that's not so brave because unlike an actual shave where you're stuck with it till it grows out you won't be because you'll still be able to have a style.

Doodle Thu 26-Jul-18 14:42:01

Well if it's not actually considered a shave then it can't offend the people who didn't think it was a good idea. Personally I would not have my hair cut that short if I could avoid it and I think you're brave to consider it phoenix.

lemongrove Thu 26-Jul-18 14:47:26

No, I wouldn’t either.I have gone down the route of coffee and cake mornings ( a few years ago) it raises money without having to look like GI Jane.

FlexibleFriend Thu 26-Jul-18 16:57:06

I don't think anyone doing this actually shaves their head, as in takes a razor to it, most would have a No 1 or No 2 so would look like Sinead O'Connor depending on hair colour. Someone with very dark hair would look like they still had hair but anyone who was a natural Blond or Grey would definitely look bald. I'm used to short hair and know it suits me but would still shy away from clippers, so You are brave or crackers whichever way you look at it because the bog brush look isn't at all flattering but you could get it styled afterwards.

phoenix Thu 26-Jul-18 21:30:25

My hair is silver grey, if you want to know.

Although I have a short style, there is around 4" length in the layers.

I think that losing that, and my eyebrow length fringe and going for around half an inch all over is a fairly dramatic step, but it would seem that for some that is perhaps not enough?

I have patches of eczema on my scalp, which I would prefer not to be too visible.

FlexibleFriend Thu 26-Jul-18 22:10:51

Does it really matter what anyone else thinks?