Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Talking of weddings.....

(38 Posts)
Telly Tue 31-Jul-18 19:03:49

One of my now middle-aged children getting married 2nd time around later this year. However I have been informed that some close relatives are not going to be invited as it is to be a small affair. I know the relatives will be upset by this but we are not a close family and they did not invite my grown up children to their big birthdays etc. I don't think I can call the party whip as I am not paying, but I would have preferred them to get an invite. Does it matter in this day and age?

sarahellenwhitney Thu 02-Aug-18 12:15:48

No hard and fast rules to say a small wedding is immediate family only. Having been a long standing, now elderly, friend of an ex work mate I was invited to her daughters 2nd wedding.

NonnaW Thu 02-Aug-18 12:34:48

Our wedding was very small, just our 3 AC each from our previous marriages, plus one partner, and a sister each as witnesses. We too had a party later for family and friends.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 02-Aug-18 13:12:54

As the relatives in question don't invite your children to their parties, they can hardly be justified in feeling hurt at not being invited to this wedding.

If they hint to you that they are hurt, tell them you had nothing to do with sending out the invitations, if you don't want to be forthright and ask why on earth they should expect an invitation when they never invite your children?

It takes two to tango!

judylow Thu 02-Aug-18 15:17:01

It’s sometimes a relief not to be invited.

Legs55 Thu 02-Aug-18 17:29:23

judylow grin think of all the money savedhmm. No it's down to the prospective Bride & Groom, they should invite the people they want to share their special day. When DH & I married (2nd for him 3rd for me) we had close family & friends at the Registry Office (limited space) & a big Party in the garden later in the day. Don't think we offended any-one.

annodomini Thu 02-Aug-18 17:34:41

The convention is that parents issue the invitations to a daughter's first wedding, but when it's second time around, it's up to the couple themselves. I was an exception as we were abroad at the time and issued our own invitations, largely to friends and colleagues.

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-Aug-18 17:49:49

When our DS got married, it was just the happy couple and two witnesses. Exactly what they wanted. We weren't at all put out, just very happy for them.

Bluegal Thu 02-Aug-18 19:27:13

Nah... just let them get on with who they want to invite! When I got married for the first time in 1979 we decided on a small wedding which excluded lots of aunts/uncles/cousins. I wrote to each and explained I wanted to keep it small so that money saved would go towards our house. My parents felt awful but I stuck to it and I got so many positive replies about how sensible I was being. We are all still in touch. It will come and go and people will forget. Just let them be.

muffinthemoo Fri 03-Aug-18 00:48:29

Traditionally a second marriage is celebrated much more quietly than a first, perhaps that is what your AC has in mind?

Re family feathers being ruffled - if your AC never sees these people and they don’t invite your AC to events, its not any skin off your AC’s nose if they take it badly, is it? If the relatives are not inviting AC to stuff then they have quite the cheek expecting to be invited to a wedding.

AdeleJay Fri 03-Aug-18 06:09:12

What a relief it was to read all your suggestions to Telly’s question. I think you’re all quite correct and that in this day and age it really doesn’t matter. I say this as I will be getting married again myself within a couple of years and simply can’t afford much having given most of my money away to my ACs for deposits for houses!

My second son recently remarried and it was a budget wedding. I thought the ceremony was lovely. I’m not too keen on lots of people or parties these days though. If I understood how to start a thread I’d ask everyone for advice on what to do. My new husband to be is quite traditional re weddings so it has to be carefully handled smile

I do think the ceremony ( at a registry office in our case) is the most important part.

Telly Fri 03-Aug-18 10:24:13

Thanks for all the replies, will see how things pan out. Seems things are much more relaxed, in some quarters anyway!

codfather Fri 03-Aug-18 19:39:01

You've given several reasons why they should not be invited and none to say they should. It's up to the Bride and Groom who they invite so not your problem.

Just go and enjoy yourself!