Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Behaviour of dgd

(109 Posts)
etheltbags1 Mon 13-Aug-18 17:31:33

My dd and partner are on holiday. Dgd has been really badly behaved dd is at her wits end. I dont know how to help. Little one has been getting worse lately will not do as shes told. She wont come back. Runs off in supermarket.tells us she hates us.kicks.bites. there is nothing we can do to stop her. She wont listen. She will sit on the naughty step laughing at us. I had to restrain her in the shop with 2 hands so dd could go thro checkout. It is do unfair that dd should have her holiday spoiled like this.we asked dgd to be good. What on earth has got into her.

Marilii Wed 15-Aug-18 03:54:24

Hi Ms. Ethel. It sounds as if you have tried everything else. How about a swat on the butt and refusing to coddle her when she acts up? Somehow I don't think her parents will like that, so, instead, how about rewarding the good behaviour but don't reward the bad behaviour. It sounds as if she seems to get more attention and rewards from everybody by acting up rather than from listening to the adults in her life. Accentuate the positive behaviour with praise and hugs and smiles every time you possibly can. For instance, you might say something like, "You have been such a joy to have around this morning, helping me/or doing such and such/....... Let's go have a treat, or let's read that book you love, or let's bake cookies, or let's go for a walk or let's go do something you like to do... just the two of us." As long as they are not unduly tired or stressed out, most children will initially choose to listen if they feel there's something in it for them. (human nature). Eventually they get use to listening and it becomes part of their behaviour. Just my thoughts. (\/). Ooops. That was suppose to be a heart. Looks like bunny ears. Lol.

etheltbags1 Wed 15-Aug-18 08:00:26

I feel bad about some posters arguing. However some years ago when i joined i used to wind people up for the hell of it. I cringe now. I have learned to listen and respect others along with a dose of cancer that changed my attitude. Sometimes i want to disagree with other posters but i now try to do it tactfully. Btw dgd has not been too bad in the last couple of days and im looking forward to seeing her and dd again but im keeping your comments to mind. An interesting point is that my grumpy old mother becomes sunshine and light with dgd and they play together quite happily

janeainsworth Wed 15-Aug-18 08:06:38

I feel bad about some posters arguing
Don’t worry about me ethel and I’m sure gabriella isn’t bovvered eithergrin
I’m glad your DGD has been better and I’m sure she’ll be looking forward to seeing you tooflowers

GabriellaG Wed 15-Aug-18 10:53:15

Nobody speaks for me. I need no mouthpiece informing others of my feelings/views.

janeainsworth Wed 15-Aug-18 11:25:47

hmm

Jalima1108 Wed 15-Aug-18 11:43:03

Bunny ears are fine Marilii!

And yes, accentuate the positive smile
negative behaviour is attention seeking - why is she seeking attention?
Because she needs some attention and to do some fun activities.

I expect she has cheered up by now ethel, if they are doing the planned child-friendly activities.
I am smiling at the thought of your mum and dgd (perhaps they are kindred spirits grin)

Riggie Wed 15-Aug-18 20:15:19

There's nothing wrong with taking a kid on a "cottage holiday"!! It's what we've done with our ds from the start. Lots of beach time mostly - playing with both of us and a quiet evening with a normalish routine for bedtime.

Jalima1108 Wed 15-Aug-18 20:17:34

Just one DC or more?

That makes all the difference.