Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How to stop going on crying

(86 Posts)
grandtanteJE65 Wed 15-Aug-18 08:48:05

Advice badly needed!

When I was younger if anything upset me, I could cry for a little while then dry my eyes, wash my face and feel better for having had a little weep.

Since the menopause, I find if once I start crying I really have difficulty stopping again. I know I should stop; crying no longer brings the relief it did when I was younger.

It has become far too easy to cry too, over things that at an earlier age I would just have shrugged off.

Has anyone found a way to combat being a cry-baby at the age of 66?

Right now, I feel I am just making a difficult day (the cat just died) more difficult for DH and myself by going around in floods of tears. I am really thankful that the 11 year old cat was only poorly for a week, and died peacefully at home this morning, just as I was preparing myself to phone the vet, knowing fine well that the cat would need to be put to sleep.

I am sure I am not the only person who finds it only too easy to burst into tears and well-nigh impossible to stop again, even although I know I should, so any solutions will be very welcome.

Chewbacca Thu 16-Aug-18 23:32:04

I rarely weep and, when I do, it's usually for sentimental reasons. The last time was when the Vulcan bomber did it's final fly past over the Aerodrome where she was built. As she flew over, she bobbed her wings in salute. As she flew off into the distance, I knew she would never fly again. When I looked around me, their were hundreds of full grown men, many of whom had worked on the Vulcan; all wiping their eyes on the sleeves. I wept buckets.

annep Fri 17-Aug-18 06:52:35

Chewbacca nice story.

DanniRae Fri 17-Aug-18 07:49:02

That's a touching and interesting story Chewbacca. What year was that and which Aerodrome? I go past Biggin Hill Aerodrome from time to time and always love to look at the Hurricane and Spitfire replicas on either side of the gate.

Chewbacca Fri 17-Aug-18 08:06:07

It was a couple of years ago DanniRae and it was in the North West. The aerodrome and runway have been demolished now, to make way for housing, so no chance to see anything aeronautical any more. sad

Scribbles Fri 17-Aug-18 10:34:14

Chewbacca, when I was a very tiny child, I lived a couple of miles from that airfield and was terrified of the first Vulcans when they arrived. That would be 1952 or 53. If I was outside in the garden as they flew over, I'd run screaming in to my mother, convinced those planes were out to "get" me!

A few years later, we moved to Lincolnshire, near to the RAF bases at Scampton and Waddington and the Vulcans were a daily part of our lives, constantly overhead and I was no longer terrified. I was saddened when they were withdrawn from service in the 80s and 90s.

This isn't as far off topic as it might appear because I was working at Waddington Air Show in July 2008 when Vulcan XH558 made her first public return to the air and was one of the thousands of people standing on the tarmac in floods of tears as she flew over, accompanied by planes from the Battle of Britain Memorial flight. I'm tearing up now as I remember the moment.

Chewbacca Fri 17-Aug-18 10:51:00

Woodford Scribbles?

Yes, I know exactly how you feel about the Vulcan. It seems to have a place in so many people's fond memories. There is a Vulcan on display at the Woodford Air Museum now. You can walk around her and see up close what a fantastic piece of aeronautical engineering she was. Worth a look if you're in the area. but take a box of tissues with you!

Scribbles Fri 17-Aug-18 11:33:01

I must make a trip back to the NW sometime; it's about 4 years since I crossed the Pennines! Thanks, Chewy, Woodford Air Museum is now on my list of must-dos!

cupcake1 Fri 17-Aug-18 18:10:48

Your post resonates with me, today especially . I’ve had my two granddaughters over for a couple of nights and they went home a couple of hours ago. I don’t know why but I’ve cried buckets since they’ve been gone! I’ve found I get really emotional lately and cry at the slightest thing. I’m in constant pain at the moment waiting to go into hospital so no doubt that doesn’t help. As another poster said it’s been a crap year that’s for sure! My poor DH deserves a medal and I do thank my lucky stars I have him.

moggie57 Tue 21-Aug-18 21:35:04

dont be ashamed to feel sad esp after your cat died. that is most upsetting had lots of cats all special and yes i cried after every one.i get a lot upset at people dying here and around the world,..trying screaming if you frustrated or punching a pillow.i wish i could cry more but tend to bottle it up so i wont get hurt anymore.

Eloethan Wed 22-Aug-18 00:23:06

I think it would be rather odd not to cry after losing a beloved pet. I still feel upset when I think of our 21 year old cat being put to sleep - and that was 6 years ago.

My own feeling is that getting older makes you more reflective and aware of things that a young person tends not to think about - a keener awareness of your own mortality and that of those close to you, and memories of people you have lost.

I don't understand how you can "set a time limit" for crying.

Sometimes I cry just because something comes into my mind that upsets or makes me anxious. It seems to me that some people just don't deal with the difficulties in life as easily as others and, to some extent, you just have to go with the flow.