Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Songs for an Alzheimer's group!

(55 Posts)
kittylester Wed 05-Sep-18 15:26:34

I help at a Memory Cafe where we always finish with singing.

The song sheets and CDs we have are a bit hard going and often we have people going faster than the track. So, the other volunteer and I decided that we would try and compile a list of songs for people of around our age that can be sung just using the word sheet.

What would you like to sing, with others. We have a couple of ex professional singers who are very good at keeping the tune going.

Ones that always go down well are Que Sera, This Old House, Michael Row Your Boat and most early Elvis.

All help gratefully received. (There's another - Help)

Yearoff Thu 06-Sep-18 23:08:34

My hubby has young onset dementia. He's still only 60. None of these song hold any special memories for him. My SIL and I play keyboard and sing once a week at the residential home he now lives in. The older residents love it but he always looks like he would like to murder us. He needs someone singing songs from the 70's. (None very easy to sing btw!).

Jalima1108 Thu 06-Sep-18 23:17:12

Lola
My Sweet Lord
You're so Vain
The Boys are back in Town
Bohemian Rhapsody
Jolene
Midnight Train to Georgia
Maggie May
Life on Mars
Teenage Kicks
Heart of Glass

Or perhaps they aren't his 'cup of tea'
Older residents may like those too

Farmnanjulie Sun 09-Sep-18 15:25:36

First and second world war songs ,were ones my dad who had dementia liked were.
Daisy, daisy give me your answer do.
It's a long way to Tipperary
Keep the home fires burning.
The Lambeth walk
White cliffs of Dover
When I'm cleaning windows
You find a great age range will know these.

Allegretto Sun 09-Sep-18 17:14:54

The singers and their carers will have lots of ideas too. A group I helped with always finished with “Show me the way to go home” (normal speed first then speeded up version, sung with everybody up on their feet). It ended the session with a laugh and everybody loved the routine.