Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

ESP, Ghosts or What? Need a Rational Explanation

(69 Posts)
willa45 Sat 08-Sep-18 16:46:20

2018 has not exactly been a good year for us. The worst of it was when my husband of 51 plus years was in such poor health that I almost lost him. Between January and May of this year, we spent many sleepless nights downstairs in our sitting room; the only place where he could sleep comfortably. but that's not the story.

It was during one of those dark, fitful nights, that we both managed to doze off for more than twenty minutes which was unusual. It was sometime in April around five in the morning and it was still dark outside.

Suddenly, I was 'awakened' by voices upstairs.... as if several people were having a conversation. In my exhausted stupor however, their presence didn't phase me in the least.......the whole thing felt completely normal, almost comforting. This lasted for awhile, as I kept hearing them again and again and waking up each time. I didn't even know these people, yet they were all upstairs talking and they neither surprised nor scared me. At one point they were in our living room which is located in the front of our house. I could hear footsteps and furniture creaking as they moved about. Eventually, I fell into a dreamless sleep.

Daylight came and the sun came up. Hubby was sleeping peacefully, which didn't happen often. I got up to make coffee and that woke him up. The first thing he said to me... "Was I dreaming or was someone here last night? There were all these people talking and they wouldn't let me sleep!"

I haven't shared this with anyone, except our three adult children. My oldest daughter's eyes filled when I told her. She was very close to my mum and her theory is that loving family spirits from both sides came to visit and to conduct some kind of intervention on H's behalf.

In May, H received a new heart valve and made a miraculous recovery. He is now doing splendidly, even exercising three times a week. H and I have talked about our experience and compared notes. His 'dream' was almost identical to mine and it happened the same morning and at the same time. We still have no rational explanation for it.

Greenfinch Sat 08-Sep-18 17:38:59

You do not need an explanation.This was a lovely experience. Just accept it and let it comfort you. There is a spiritual side to our life on earth which cannot be explained but is no less real.You are both so lucky to have had this experience.

TwiceAsNice Sat 08-Sep-18 17:41:25

Maybe don't worry about it and be glad it happened and was positive for you both. I have had some similar experiences and found them comforting. Maybe the spirits of some of your family coming back to comfort you?

NfkDumpling Sat 08-Sep-18 17:47:53

I agree, it was a comforting experience for both of you. Accept it and be happy that all is now well. Enjoy your future together.

Anniebach Sat 08-Sep-18 17:55:54

Do accept it , you and your husband were not caused distress , there are happenings with no rational explanation x

Auntieflo Sat 08-Sep-18 18:20:59

willa45, sounds as though you both had a beautiful experience. Do as Greenfinch and others have suggested and be comforted.
I am so pleased to hear that your DH is now so much better.

TerriBull Sat 08-Sep-18 18:38:17

willa45, very interesting story, I like to hang on to the belief there is life after death and those we have loved are out there somewhere.

Good to hear that your husband has made a recovery.

phoenix Sat 08-Sep-18 18:48:33

As others have said, but perhaps my message isn't quite the same, accept,absorb, and be glad.

You don't have to believe to receive.

paddyann Sat 08-Sep-18 21:30:53

I would love to hear from my loved ones,my granny was a believer in an afterlife and used to tell us amazing stories.My daughter used to tell us she was talking to her sister,her sister died before she was born so they never met ,sadly the psychic gene passed me by.Be glad it happened and that if it was family, they made a judgement call and a good outcome for your husband and family

OldMeg Sun 09-Sep-18 06:46:59

I have no idea what happened that night, but it gives you both comfort and that is the main things.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio .....

harrigran Sun 09-Sep-18 09:28:20

Auditory hallucinations due to exhaustion, fairly common in sleep deprived people.
I always look for the logical answer before going down the supernatural road.

Jane10 Sun 09-Sep-18 10:39:19

I've recently had an exceptionally accurate predictive dream. It's only happened a few times before but by golly they're spot on.

Anniebach Sun 09-Sep-18 10:47:35

By two people at the same time Harrigran ?

NannyJan53 Sun 09-Sep-18 11:19:40

I agree, you can only take this as something that happened and gave you some comfort,

My Mum (88 now) for a few years, occasionally would suddenly hear loud crashing noise in the kitchen, always when in the Living room. Upon investigating, she could see nothing had fallen or anything to cause this.

Each time, within a few days, she received bad or sad news. Last time was the death of my Aunt. Something, that I cannot explain, but too much of a co-incidence as this has happened a few times now over the last 5 or 6 years.

Anniebach Sun 09-Sep-18 11:27:11

What logical explanation can there be when things are moved in a house not by the only person who lives in the house?

Maybelle Sun 09-Sep-18 11:53:50

what logical explanation for things moving but not move by the person who lives there?
Many years ago I experienced this, came home and found small things had been moved around. Teapot from one end off the kitchen to the other. Ornaments rearranged. Freaked me out . .
One day I went out and DH stayed home, but hid upstairs.
Discovered it a was relative of his who had a grievance against us, somehow had got a copy of the house key and was trying to scare me, they had previously sent threatening letters. It worked. But a quick call to the police put an end to that!
However saying that I do believe that sometimes those who live us but are no longer with us can visit to help and reassure

Nonnie Sun 09-Sep-18 12:50:41

I think there is much we don't understand and one day scientists will prove that some things exist which today we don't believe in. I have reason to believe quite strongly in ESP, things which cannot otherwise be explained.

There are other things which I cannot prove but want to believe.

Anniebach Sun 09-Sep-18 13:21:50

I have a small bookcase in my living room, no books on it , one shelf holds the Willow Angels my grandchildren buy me. Third self down a beautiful vase my elder daughter bought for me, next to it a photograph of my daughter. On the top shelf an ivy plant , a wooden carved box my daughter bought me and with it a red silk rose she bought me for my birthday last year, she bought me a rose every year but last year was too ill to go to the florist,

Mothering Sunday this year, she always made it a specia,l
I was distressed and spoke aloud to her, how I longed for her, to hear her laughter, see her smile. Then pulled myself together. Later that morning I went to the loo, came back into the living room , plonked on the sofa and noticed the photograph was on the top shelf next to the rose. I did not touch that photograph, no one in the bungalow, no one came in, my dogs always bark if anyone comes near the front door, my only visitors were all away from town. How did the photograph move from the third shelf to the top shelf , I chose the third shelf so it wasn’t so visible to her three children. I 100% did not touch it.

Did it move on it’s own , did my mind move it with no desire from me to have it moved?

harrigran Sun 09-Sep-18 13:36:38

Yes Annie, by two people at the same time. Same level of sleep deprivation, medical fact.
I am happy to accept that people believe the departed can move things but it is just not possible.

Auntieflo Sun 09-Sep-18 13:44:33

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Harrigran
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Just a borrowed thought

GrannyGravy13 Sun 09-Sep-18 13:46:22

I would take comfort from your joint experience. Science has not got all the answers.

The day my darling maternal Grandma died, my Mother and I had identical 'dreams' where Gran came to our beds and spoke to us, neither of us ever dreamed about her again.

harrigran Sun 09-Sep-18 14:09:56

My sister and I dream the same dreams, it is due to shared experiences and a stimulus that jogs the brain like talking on the phone before we go to bed.
Everything has a logical explanation even bumps in the night. No the wonder people are frightened of their own shadows.

Jane10 Sun 09-Sep-18 14:27:37

Oh Harrigran. There's obviously not going to be anything to convince you. Nor does there have to be. Simply saying that there's an explanation for everything doesn't actually mean that there is!
I'm sorry you're likely to miss out on these other dimensions to life.

Farmnanjulie Sun 09-Sep-18 15:17:44

I am a third generation medium, what you are hearing are are spirits,at night spirits find it easier to communicate,not for a creepy reason, that's just films!
It's because they are a energy and appliances ,lighting , general daytime use of these items,are draining,most of them are not used at night as it's easier for them, groups talking is aiding and assisting, it will be family linked and is a discussion of what to do ,and to help,you often get this in houses if you are a visitor to it,it's a gathering of curious spirits being nosy!

Don't be afraid ,in 30 plus years of this ,and my mother's ,and grandmothers lives as a medium ,bad stuff is very,very rare and only of you're not careful,
Never ,ever be tempted to do a Ouija board, it's not something to dabble in !it's like opening your front door to see who wanders in!
Spirits come with love and caring,and only really when you need it

And only in a way thats comforting for you,they love you they don't want to scare you!
If your needing to know they are there ,ask! Say it out loud,ask if you need help,it will come.

Life does go on ,as does love,I have seen spirits many times ,and they have been trying to help, they don't hang around watching you!! It's like phoning a friend ,you want to have a chat or some advice,or connect with someone you miss.
Think of it like that,
And blessed be to all.

Jane10 Sun 09-Sep-18 15:39:40

Thank you Farmnanjulie. That was very nicely put. sunshine