Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

First Weeks at School

(81 Posts)
Lyndiloo Tue 25-Sep-18 03:37:53

My granddaughter, who is five in October, started school two weeks ago. And she loves it! Comes home every afternoon, full of what she has been doing, and what she's learnt.

Fly in the ointment - a little boy who keeps pinching her wrists, and trying to, in her words - "Bend my nails back."

Her (very protective) mum is furious! And has, today, written a letter to the teacher, complaining about this.

Is she being over the top?

GabriellaG Tue 25-Sep-18 12:03:36

I think it's a home thing if a child starts it that young.
I have 5, boys and girls and none of them have ever bullied anyone, in or out of school, nor have they ever been bullied. Likeable kids and good as gold, just hardworking children who grew into decent well rounded adults. It starts at home, giving them fair rules, good values, worthwhile aims and a loving stable atmosphere in which to blossom.

sazz1 Tue 25-Sep-18 12:06:50

Imho the only thing that will stop it is if the child fights back. Barbaric I know but my daughter was bullied in junior school and after talking with teacher, head, parent, and child it continued. School set up mediation still continued in the playground out of sight. One day after several months I told my daughter the next time they hurt u give one of them a slap across the face but don't punch. She did and it stopped. No more kicks bruising dig marks etc. Friend's daughter was being whipped with a skipping rope and she told her to do the same and it stopped. We both tried all the propper channels first for months with no effect HTH

moobox Tue 25-Sep-18 12:07:58

5 year olds do that sort of thing without it necessarily being a big deal, so it should definitely be nipped in the bud by some means of contacting the teacher. Not all mums can be present to have a word, so a letter is the alternative

Willow10 Tue 25-Sep-18 12:09:14

Oh dear, it is so awful when your kids get bullied. It makes you feel hurt, angry and helpless, especially when the school doesn't take any action. I remember my daughter being bullied by a girls when she started senior school (many years ago!) She told me the girls name and said she had told a teacher, but it continued. Now I confess - as I dropped her off at school looking very sad one morning, I quietly asked her best friend to point out this bully to me. I said 'Would you please give her a message for me? Tell her if I ever see her within 20 yards of my daughter or hear about any more of her nasty behaviour, I will personally find her and rearrange her features! And that is not a threat - it's a promise!' The friend looked aghast and said a breathless 'ok!' I watched her walk over and tell the bully what I had said. She looked at me and went very red before walking away. It worked and we never had any more trouble, but I cringe when I think about it now. I wouldn't advocate it - you would never get away with that these days!

montymops Tue 25-Sep-18 12:10:04

As a teacher and head of many years - retired now of course- I will reiterate that this behaviour needs dealing with. All aspects of bullying need to be addressed ASAP for the sake of the victim as well as the bully. Bullying can start early - as indeed it has in this case - any secrecy or underhand behaviour needs to be given the full light of day, brought into the open and discussed. The school should have an anti bullying policy which can be viewed I’m sure.

Blinko Tue 25-Sep-18 12:11:08

Disappointing that some schools apparently don't know how to stop bullying when it occurs. Asking the bully if they're doing and taking no further action it is not dealing with the issue.

Eglantine21 Tue 25-Sep-18 12:17:23

Amazing how many people who feel strongly about bullying advocate threats and violence as an answer.

What would you call it when an older and more powerful person threatens a weaker, more vulnerable one.

I’ll slit your throat
I’ll rearrange your features
I can do it because I’m bigger and stronger than you and you won’t be able to stop me.

What would you call that?

trisher Tue 25-Sep-18 12:22:16

Firstly Blinko there is no evidence that the school even knows it is happening.
Her mum is of course perfectly entitled to write a letter, but just one warning School is as much about building relationships as any other organisation and talking to your child's teahcer should be part of that. Telling her when your child is happy or unhappy, asking for help offering to help it all makes your child's education more successful. So it mightbe nice if she talked to the teacher as well
And finally a word about the boy. He may be a bully, but equally he may be a boy who has fallen for your GD and thinks the best way to get her attention is to pinch her (boys are notoriously unable to express afection sometimes)
Anyway I hope it gets sorted now.

grannytotwins Tue 25-Sep-18 12:27:29

No bullying is acceptable. Some schools are good at dealing with it, others not. It all depends on the school’s headteacher. My GD is has albinism. She was alienated in the playground by other children calling her a freak. It was heartbreaking. One little girl invited her home to tea and the next day she was relentlessly bullied for inviting a freak to tea. It resulted in nobody going near my GD or speaking to her in case they were bullied for being friendly towards her. The head had all the names of the ringleaders witnessed by staff on duty at break time. The mothers of these children were the active PTA people and absolutely nothing was ever done. My DD changed her DD’s school in year 4 and the new school was fantastic. Sometimes this is the only solution. DGD went from an outstanding school to one in special measures but was happy and thrived.

Bennan Tue 25-Sep-18 12:28:18

As a retired teacher and ex-governor, I would suggest that if the school is failing to take this seriously then you should approach the Board of Governors who are there to make sure that the Head and teachers live up to their responsibilities. It should be done politely but firmly and don’t take no for an answer. In my experience the sooner these matters are dealt with the better. If this is not successful, then get in touch with your MP and let him/her put their weight behind you. You will probably find that your GC is not the only one being badly treated by this young man!

Willow10 Tue 25-Sep-18 12:40:48

I did say it was many years ago Eglatine and I didn't advocate doing it now! Normally I wouldn't say boo to a goose, but when it is your child, the tiger within comes out. Maybe I should have kept my confession to myself, but then I never claimed to be perfect.

Pat1949 Tue 25-Sep-18 12:44:32

Not particularly over the top, no one wants their child hurt, perhaps would have been better to speak to the teacher first, without too much accusation, then put it in writing if it continued.

Elrel Tue 25-Sep-18 12:47:22

Knickas - Yes, some, like me, would find the throat slit completely unacceptable in an infant playground. Even the 'I'm watching you' is inappropriate there. If you can't confine yourself to a hard look (like Paddington) keep your hands out of sight.

gmelon Tue 25-Sep-18 12:59:30

A friend of mine was being bothered by some unsavoury people hanging around in her street.
The throat slit sign was done to her. She was looking out of her living room window and one if these people did it to her from across the street.
The police considered it a threat of violence a "death threat". An assault.
A statement was taken from my friend and the person taken away by the police.
It ended up on court where this action was evidence.

gmelon Tue 25-Sep-18 12:59:58

In

muffinthemoo Tue 25-Sep-18 13:00:51

I agree with jaycee, the letter acts as a record in case this behaviour continues. It is more difficult to deny receiving a written complaint.

If they sit together in class, I would have thought the first step would be to separate them.

I also was sat next to a boy in primary school who was violent towards me. I still have a few small scars from being stabbed with pencils, compass points, etc. It was extremely unpleasant.

stringvest Tue 25-Sep-18 13:05:57

@ Tamayra I would definitely avoid having any direct contact with the boy. Your complaint is now in the hands of the teacher and the school. By putting it in writing they will have to use " due process " and abide by the schools rules and regulations about handling the complaint . That will almost certainly mean that the school will need to inform and involve the boy's parents. That is almost certainly the approach likely to resolve this. If you had mentioned it verbally to the teacher there is a danger the school may have dealt with it " by keeping an eye " on the situation - which might or might not help.
Remember - your GD has only just started at the school , the boy in question may have already been there some time and both he and his parents will be known to the school and some of the teachers there.
You don't know - but there may have been similar incidents with other children , there may be significant problems " at home " possibly even domestic violence taking place or parents separated / divorced , recent bereavement etc .

If you speak to the boy directly his parents could be furious with you - and the school for allowing you such access to him . They could accuse you of bullying- or even assault.

Tread carefully.

stringvest Tue 25-Sep-18 13:07:31

Sorry - Tamyra I have referred to "you " in my reply . Clearly you are not involved with this scenario directly. Apologies.

eazybee Tue 25-Sep-18 13:11:26

This would be my note to the teacher:
"My child is really happy at school and seems to be settling down well; just one thing appears to be upsetting her: she tells me-so-and-so is being unkind to her and 'bending her nails back'. Please would you investigate this behaviour and see if you could discover what is happening. Thank you."

There may be another side to the story; much better not to apportion blame until the incident(s) have been investigated.
These are four year-olds in a new environment, possibly displaying unpleasant behaviour that needs to be brought to the attention of the teacher, but not bullying--- yet.
Hope there is a satisfactory outcome

OldMeg Tue 25-Sep-18 13:26:22

A well worded note to teacher is better than a hurried word in the playground or at the classroom door.

millymouge Tue 25-Sep-18 13:29:48

B9 please, please get your daughter to do something to stop the bullying. To think of the poor little thing spending the previous evening crying is heartbreaking. I was relentlessly bullied at school for years, my parents unfortunately told me it was part of growing up and did nothing. Maybe she will need to change schools, push push and push until the school do something, but please don't let it continue as it will possibly effect her for the rest of her life.

Sheilasue Tue 25-Sep-18 13:32:14

its Best to talk to the teacher first, explain the situation but please don’t use the bullying word, you have to say something else like a little lad is being a bit mischievous.
I was a T A for 30 years we were never allowed to say that they were bully’s, difficult yes.

Madgran77 Tue 25-Sep-18 13:36:47

I think it would have been best to speak to the teacher first

GoldenAge Tue 25-Sep-18 14:31:54

Lindyloo - it is over the top and the class teacher will not be pleased that s/he was sidelined without being given the chance to rectify the problem. Tamayra, you cannot under any circumstances approach the boy - as others have said this amounts to bullying. But the issue does need to be dealt with and it is the class teacher who should be approached but the approach should be made in terms of "I don't want to take this any higher up at the moment but my GD reports ………" The teacher then has both a chance and a duty to investigate and it may be that there are other children to whom this boy does the same thing so in reporting the behaviour, your daughter is not only protecting your GD but also other children.

nannypiano Tue 25-Sep-18 14:45:12

Many many years ago, when I was five and in my first year at primary, we were quite hard up and I had to do pt in hand me down red knickers. One horrid girl came up to me laughing and making fun of me, saying, "Look at her knickers". I asked her to say it again and she did. I then smacked her face so hard she almost fell over. I was never bullied after that day. We were not encouraged to tell tales then. I never told anyone. This is a first. How times change.