Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

First Weeks at School

(81 Posts)
Lyndiloo Tue 25-Sep-18 03:37:53

My granddaughter, who is five in October, started school two weeks ago. And she loves it! Comes home every afternoon, full of what she has been doing, and what she's learnt.

Fly in the ointment - a little boy who keeps pinching her wrists, and trying to, in her words - "Bend my nails back."

Her (very protective) mum is furious! And has, today, written a letter to the teacher, complaining about this.

Is she being over the top?

knickas63 Thu 04-Oct-18 11:18:43

Seeing a child being relentlessly bullied, and nothing being done to stop it is heartbreaking and soul destroying. At 5, to be honest a glare would be all I would do, if the usual try to be friends etc didnt work. However, once it gets to teenagers and really bad bullying, with no official help, I would definitely make my feelings more clear! Bullying kills, and most of the time the civilised options dont work.

PECS Fri 05-Oct-18 09:19:19

Bullying thrives when people stay silent. Bullies can be extremely difficult to to ' catch' doing wrong. It needs people to speak up ..once one is able to you often find others coming forward.

Grandmarnia Sat 27-Oct-18 21:24:48

B9exchange

One GD was bullied by a particular girl from the moment she arrived in school. Recently she said to me 'I don't want to become 10 years old, because it means '*' has been bullying me for half my life'. For a few years she was able to cope with it, but it is relentless, and has worn her down to the extent that she spends Sunday nights crying that she doesn't want to go to school. DD has tried talking to the teacher each year, talking to the head teacher, but the school only asks the other child if they have done what ever it is, and when they say 'no' it goes no further. DGD has kept a diary and shown it to the school, but only gets the same reaction.

Nothing brutal, just treading on her heels, sticking an elbow in her ribs, pulling her hair, calling DGD a 'brat' and a cry baby. She has two more years of this before secondary school, when they will be going their separate ways."

This is really sad that your dgd is crying every Sunday evening; her mental health is suffering.

Write to the Chair of the Board of Governors as the Governors are there to ensure the Head etc are safeguarding all children. The head needs to take action to stop this now.

Lynne59 Sat 27-Oct-18 21:49:01

Knickas....really? To a kid of 5? The mother of that kid would then have reason to sort you out, wouldn't she....

Floradora9 Sun 28-Oct-18 16:52:49

I was bullied at primary school by one girl . My mother came to the school and had a word with her and gave her sixpence . I was so mad about the sixpence but the the abuse stopped.