Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Baby grandchild moving overseas

(56 Posts)
Emm14 Thu 15-Nov-18 08:28:52

Hello ladies. I know this is a very common topic but wondered if I could ask for specific advice on coping with ‘losing’ my 12 month grandson as he moves overseas. My son has told me today he is moving to Australia and I’m devastated. I love my grandchild so much; I just don’t know how I will cope without seeing him regularly. I am particularly heartbroken as I know how much my DIL will enjoy ‘taking’ my grandchild away - she knows how much it will hurt me. I don’t get on with her at all despite my efforts - I really cannot bear her. And the saddest thing for me will be knowing that the DIL stepmother (who lives where my son is moving to) will take my place as grandmother. It hurts so much. I know I can skype, phone, send presents etc etc but I’d really like to advice on dealing with the grief I am feeling on ‘losing’ my precious grandchild. Thank you sad

janeainsworth Fri 16-Nov-18 18:33:22

Thanks Madgransmile

nanny2507 Fri 16-Nov-18 18:37:32

oh no. I am so upset for you. I also adore my GD and my heart would break in this situation. I really dont know what to say

Bossyrossy Fri 16-Nov-18 19:35:43

Two of my DGC live abroad. I visit as often as I can and as a result have seen parts of the world I might otherwise have missed. Young people today travel and sometimes settle abroad much more than our generation did but they often miss home and return to their roots, so don’t give up hope. But mending bridges with your DIL before they leave is vital, talk to her about how you feel, she too is now a mother and may well understand your feelings of loss.
There is always Skype to bridge the gap and remember there are lots of us in your situation, you are not alone and there is a lot of good advice from your fellow GNetters to help you come to terms with and make the most of being a long distance GM.

meawkt Sun 18-Nov-18 08:38:07

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

RooandEviesnana Mon 01-May-23 21:48:13

My Grandkids are moving to Australia. They are only 2 and 4. We are really close and im heartbroken. Will they forget about me if they dont see me for many months.