Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should I move into a retirement property to be closer to DS and DiL

(34 Posts)
NanaElla Thu 15-Nov-18 14:43:47

Hi All, I'm new to Gransnet! I've been reading for a while but I've finally plucked up the courage to join the community. I don't know if I posted this in the wrong forum before so hopefully someone can help? I am 76 and am on my own. My DiL has been suggesting I move closer to them for a while and has recently sent me the link to these retirement properties. I think they are beautiful and have a good offer on at the minute www.inspiredvillages.co.uk/black-friday should I go for it? It would be nice to make some new friends too and maybe a retirement village would help me? Thanks in anticipation.

Bellanonna Thu 15-Nov-18 19:40:18

What I suggested at the beginning

Madgran77 Thu 15-Nov-18 22:06:06

Marydoll the OP has posted replies appreciating the advice!! If an advert I don't think anyone would bother!!

Nanaella I hope that you can come to a good decision for yourself

NanKate Thu 15-Nov-18 22:22:23

I know the area as I used to live in Stratford. This retirement complex is a few miles from Stratford so you would need a car and where would your local medical centre be and shops, all things you need to consider? If it were me I would look for a retirement home in Stratford itself where there is plenty going on.

NanaElla Fri 16-Nov-18 12:01:38

NanKate that is very helpful thank you. McCarthy & Stone seem to have some in Stratford so I might investigate those too. I would like to be a bit out of Stratford to build my own life a bit separate from my son and DiL, but yes I think I might go and stay in the area for a few days perhaps in a hotel so I can get a feel for how easy it is to get around, where the nearest GP, pharmacy, and shops are, and if the locals and residents seem friendly!

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 16-Nov-18 14:22:44

Hi, GNHQ here. Just a reminder that we don't allow troll-hunting on the threads. If there's anything you think is suspicious or you want us to take a closer look at please rather report the thread or email contactus and we'll take a closer look. Here's a link to more info on where we stand on troll-hunting. Thanks {smile]

NanKate Fri 16-Nov-18 20:15:30

NanaElla Stratford is quite a big town now so you wouldn’t be bumping into your family all the time. There is a cinema and two theatres, swimming pool etc

If you want to find a reasonable B and B try those in Evesham Place, which is just a short walk from the town centre. That area is called Old Town.

Luckylegs9 Sun 18-Nov-18 15:21:01

I wouldn't make a decision based on a discount. The locality, expense of maintenance charges would prevent me from considering a village such as the one you mention. I like to be with a varying age group and would get depressed living with all older residents, however I realise some people prefer it. I have a friends moving to a retirement village because she says it just makes her feel safe.

NanaElla Wed 21-Nov-18 11:45:51

NanKate Thank you, I will look there. I think I will look at retirement villages both in Stratford and Alcester, which is where the Inspired one is. Luckylegs9 yes I agree with you. I might register for the discount anyway because I don't have to use the voucher, just in case I do decide to go for it, but the decision will be made on much more than just that. I can see that a varying age group would be preferable to many but I think the easier nature of making friends, and as your friend said, the safety will be beneficial to me too. Thanks for your help