Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How much worse can it get?

(62 Posts)
Riverwalk Mon 10-Dec-18 14:21:40

Guy Verhofstadt the EU Brexit negotiator has just tweeted 'I can't follow any more. After two years of negotiations the Tory government wants to delay the vote'.

Talk about brinkmanship! I think May is just thinking about her own position now - couldn't face such a huge defeat.

I too can't follow any more!

notanan2 Mon 10-Dec-18 20:56:25

Vote Green let’s have a real alternative ve.

Yes vote green...if you are a man or a non-man... 'cause the word woman isn't inclusive (but somehow man is???)

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:55:23

Vote green???

Yep Natalie Bennett’s figures of building 250 000 new homes at £60,000 each. Oh and no thought to the cost of the land yep give the greens the keys.

Oh yes and a citizens weekly wage to everyone irrespective of their wealth.

Brilliant sounds sensible to me after 10 pints and concussion

notanan2 Mon 10-Dec-18 20:54:19

Perhaps your beloved Tories will come up with something palatable

Why cant Corbyn fans grasp that many MANY of us who will vote against Corbyn are not lifelong die hard Tory voters. Many of us are ex labour voters. Its not that we LOVE the Cons. Its just that what Labour is currently putting on the table is the worst of a bad lot!

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:52:09

Corbyn is a life long agitator. He’s never run anything. Not a union a council or let’s face it a united party. The anti Semitic issues are simply disgraceful. God help the country if this prat gets the reins.

Equally on the opposite side when Theresa is dumped we have Boris, Jacob and Davis.

All to a man unpleasant far left/right mysogynistic men.

crystaltipps Mon 10-Dec-18 20:50:54

Vote Green let’s have a real alternative ve.

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:46:46

I sgree dumpling how fantastic your nan was a suffragette. smile

NfkDumpling Mon 10-Dec-18 20:46:33

(If Labour were to get in it would be rule by committee. JC would never make a decision on his own.)

NfkDumpling Mon 10-Dec-18 20:44:29

My Nan was a suffragist and I’ve always, always voted. I was told that if all else fails to spoil my voting paper, but vote. Always vote. If they have an election now, I think I might, for the first time ever, just write rude words on the ballot paper.

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:27:42

Yes I have a lot of respect for yvette and I know she would put country first. I think she’s a decent woman. However momentum don’t actually like women so they? Like the far right they are misogynistic unpleasant men.

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:25:28

Agree I am horrified at how the extreme wings of both sides have overtaken both labour and Tory.

paddy ann I can’t agree with you to be honest and as a Labour Party member until Jeremy took over I can’t countenance him and equally the inhumanity of the Tory party is hideous.

I am Party less for the first time simce I voted in 1982.

What to do?

paddyann Mon 10-Dec-18 20:14:47

I think you'll find its the tories who have borrowed MORE in the past few years than ALL Labour goverments ever .Dont let facts get in the way of your tory bias though.I'm not a labour supporter ,as you are probably aware but they couldn't possibly be worse than May and her cohorts .

M0nica Mon 10-Dec-18 20:13:04

If anyone other than,.. was leader of the Labour party, life would feel less depressing.

Iam64 Mon 10-Dec-18 20:12:40

Mycatisahacker - I voted Yvette and Andy. I've kicked myself since and wondered if Id voted Andy, whether he'd have beaten JC.
I heard JC speak at 3 different Hustings in the first leadership contest. He said the things many wanted to hear, I'd no problem with that but I didn't believe he had what it takes to lead the LP. Nothing that's happened since has changed my mind - the opposite in fact.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 10-Dec-18 20:12:23

Totally agree with John Smith. Not sure if momentum would allow a female leader, but I have respect for Yvette Cooper.

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 20:09:20

Life long labour voter but no way in hell coukd I vote for Corbyn. Nasty racist and fairly stupid into the bargain. It’s not labour it’s momentum.

If only yvette cooper or Andy burnham coukd have taken the lead and our awful loss was John Smith.

Can’t vote for the Tories so I have nothing to vote for.

oldbatty Mon 10-Dec-18 20:00:21

Great stuff. I wonder how many people can afford to leave.
the country because they don't like the government?

Perhaps your beloved Tories will come up with something palatable.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 10-Dec-18 19:52:39

Our business will remain in the UK, employing people and will continue as it does today, just be paying more taxes to Labour who will borrow till the cows come home.

Hopefully the public will see sense and vote them out at the first available opportunity.

oldbatty Mon 10-Dec-18 19:47:15

mmm, so you are going to take your money and run?

Unbelievable.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 10-Dec-18 19:45:03

Oldbatty absolutely, we have paid our taxes (personal and business) and there is no way that those odious people are going to get their slimey mits on it.

Iam64 Mon 10-Dec-18 19:43:41

I'm a life long Labour supporter. I wish I could feel enthusiastic about the idea of a JC led government - the best I can say is I don't believe it could be worse for the country than the current lot have been. Our public services are devastated etc etc
However - what is JC's position on Brexit. Anyone? If Keir Starmer was Labour leader - life would feel a whole lot less depressing.

Mycatisahacker Mon 10-Dec-18 19:29:07

What a bloody mess.

Corbyn would be a complete disaster of course.

The mad far right have taken over the Tories and the mad far left have taken over labour.

Scary times

oldbatty Mon 10-Dec-18 19:14:07

Good for you and your money.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 10-Dec-18 19:05:49

Further afield!!

oldbatty Mon 10-Dec-18 19:03:58

I said on another thread if Corbyn/McDonnell get in I (and Mr GG) will seriously consider leaving UK for a non EU Country

Will it be in a rubber dingy without water?

crystaltipps Mon 10-Dec-18 19:00:45

Which non Eu country ? Which one? I think I’d head for Scotland (or Ireland)