Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Selfish daughter?

(39 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 22-Dec-18 20:47:00

She is very vunerable, she is mentally ill, please get help for her, please

Bowdie Sat 22-Dec-18 20:44:43

Youngest grandchild is 7, so I don’t think it’s PND.

I also think she is very vulnerable, but nothing I say seems to make any difference. She has entered into relationships with a number of people since she came here-I think through a dating app. She agrees she’s vulnerable, but is not taking care. She went to meet someone she had only met online, by getting them to come to the house and she left in their car. It was such a stupid thing to do! When I said this, she just laughed,

EllanVannin Sat 22-Dec-18 20:37:50

Symptoms are as you describe.

EllanVannin Sat 22-Dec-18 20:36:38

Post-natal depression is something I'm thinking of and if left untreated or un-diagnosed can manifest itself into post-partum psychosis which is treated with anti-psychotic drugs or injections.

EllanVannin Sat 22-Dec-18 20:29:30

Bowdie, well it sounds serious enough to me for your daughter to get a second opinion. What medication is she taking----do you know ?
Her " behaviour " is all part and parcel of her illness and right now she's very vulnerable.

Bowdie Sat 22-Dec-18 20:26:13

I don’t really, Anniebach. I think it’s because the CPN said it was more to do with poor choices-whatever that means,

She seems to have plenty of time for her friends and to go out, but none for her children. That’s what I can’t understand. She was a great mum and this has totally changed, she has sent the kids to school with no breakfast and wearing some of her clothes. She forgets everything to do with the kids appointments and school activities. I feel like I am a mum to them. They actually call me mum- especially the youngest.

Anniebach Sat 22-Dec-18 20:19:52

Sorry but I don’t understand why you think your daughters behaviour isn’t caused by her mental illness , do you not know why people self harm?

Bowdie Sat 22-Dec-18 20:15:37

Depression/anxiety/bulimia/self harm. The full bhuna.

Bowdie Sat 22-Dec-18 20:14:25

The CPN said she thought she was “making poor choices”, though I dare say, this could be because of her poor MH.
I don’t really want to go into any personal detail - by we have been married 40 years.
I admit I am a bit of a control freak-but I don’t think I am in this instance. I am trying very hard not to be.

EllanVannin Sat 22-Dec-18 20:12:26

What MH problem has your daughter been diagnosed with ?

( if it's not too intrusive )

holdingontometeeth Sat 22-Dec-18 20:07:41

Hi Bowdie, welcome to the site.
Your life seems to have been turned upside down.
To enable me to tailor my advice, please can you tell me when your daughter moved in, the ages and sex of both your daughter and her children.
Is your marriage strong enough to withstand these new found pressures that you find yourself under.
How long have you been married by the way?
The only advice I can offer at the moment is that to look on the bright side of life,things can only get better.

Anniebach Sat 22-Dec-18 19:58:47

May I ask if the CPN said he/she believes your daughter isn’t behaving as she is because of mental illness ?

paddyann Sat 22-Dec-18 19:52:52

I think she's ill rather than selfish,give her time to get her head sorted and see how it goes.If you dont want her to smoke ANYTHING in your home tell her thats the rule.
It sounds like she's having a bad time and is running away from reality ,not physically but emotionally by abdicating her parental duties.If she was a good mother before then she will likey come to her senses once her mental health issue is sorted

Bowdie Sat 22-Dec-18 19:45:02

My daughter has Left her husband and come to live with us with her children, she has been diagnosed with MH problems, but her behaviour at times is really difficult to understand and she is neglecting the children. I’m at my wits end. I am now on anti depressants as I can’t cope. She goes out all the time and just expects us to look after the children. If I didn’t bath them/wash their clothes/do their homeworkwith them it just wouldn’t be done. I’ve tried and tried to speak with her about this, but she claims I am controlling.
She has now started to smoke weed and it seems to be all consuming. She has said she’ll move out if I’m unhappy, but she can’t because the children would suffer and besides, she only works part time at minimum wage.
My
OH and myself were beginning to look forward to spending more time together, but now we don’t even have time to talk.
I don’t think it’s her MH that’s causing this (I discussed it with her CPN) she is just acting like a 15 year old!
I’m Absolutly exhausted both mentally and physically and have no idea what to do.
I adore my grandchildren and they have all flourished since they came to stay, but, TBH, I don’t really like my daughter at the moment.