Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Ex Son in Law’s girlfriend dyed the children’s hair!!!!

(111 Posts)
ProudNanna Fri 28-Dec-18 20:38:42

AIBU I’m new to gransnet - What would you do if your grandchildren came back from a visit with their father and his girlfriend on Boxing Day with blue and pink hair? The DGDs are aged two and seven. I’m so ?

EllanVannin Sat 29-Dec-18 17:38:02

To use stuff like that on little ones could bring about all kinds of reactions , rashes, allergies etc as on the head it absorbs into the scalp. Their scalps are sensitive at that age. " Some mothers do 'ave 'em ".

A lot of so-called child friendly products turn out not to be child friendly unless they're tried and tested in this country.

Maggiemaybe Sat 29-Dec-18 18:20:05

Oh dear, I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many grans in the naughty corner! I shall keep my mouth firmly zipped. tchgrin

Jane10 Sat 29-Dec-18 18:24:10

Gosh. Why bother reading some posts. Come on GN there must be a better way of dealing with this. angry

BlueBelle Sat 29-Dec-18 18:29:11

Naughty steps getting har£on my bum ???

Iam64 Sat 29-Dec-18 18:29:26

Maggiemaybe - if we had an award system for comment of the day, say we could Like a comment and a computer could add up the number of Likes and award the comment maker with say, a cupcake well, fancy that, we do have such a system because the cupcake appeared, as if by magic.

ProudNanna Sat 29-Dec-18 18:40:53

So, trying to widen the debate, clearly this thread was never about hair dye. Its about what is an acceptable thing for a newish girlfriend (not stepmum) to do to someone else’s children. I think dying their hair is crossing the line. Most of you think thats fine. What would be crossing the line for your own grandchildren?

Bathsheba Sat 29-Dec-18 18:47:28

Good heavens that naughty step is very crowded today! Mind if I squeeze past to get to the loo? ?

aggie Sat 29-Dec-18 18:52:19

My SIL was /is a hairdresser of dubious ability , she (unasked ) cut my 6yr old sons hair , leaving him with a slanting fringe ! I hit the roof and it set the tone for relations since

Elrel Sat 29-Dec-18 18:57:20

Exactly what an irresponsible younger gf might do to entertain her bf's kids.
There have been previous threads in the past about unwanted hair cuts, sometimes by NR dads.
It happens.

A GN I know, and her DD, were incensed regularly. The GC would come back from a day out having been bathed and dressed in different clothes with her vest missing.

Buffybee Sat 29-Dec-18 19:04:02

I, for one would be fuming if a girlfriend dyed my Gc's hair and my Dd would hit the roof.
You just don't mess with other people's kids.
My Dgs went to a birthday party, someone decided it would be a good idea to put face paint on him, without asking his Mum.
He had a reaction to it and his face was a mess.
Some people just don't think!

holdingontometeeth Sat 29-Dec-18 19:09:00

Personally I would be livid!
Green and yellow are my preferred colours.

Poppyred Sat 29-Dec-18 19:09:49

What are you all saying to get your messages deleted??

Chewbacca Sat 29-Dec-18 19:11:18

If we posted them again they'd get deleted again. Obviously.

Beau Sat 29-Dec-18 19:11:39

ProudNanna, I don't think most posters think it's ok at all. For some reason, some people thought your post was not genuine. As I said before, I would be livid and so would most people. I would probably have strong words with the father if I was your DD.

Poppyred Sat 29-Dec-18 19:14:04

Thanks Chewbacca, very helpful. ??

OurKid1 Sat 29-Dec-18 19:14:56

That naughty step has become a veritable ladder today!

craftergran Sat 29-Dec-18 19:19:17

The father seemed to be ok with it otherwise I doubt whether it would've happened. The age of father's gf an whether or not she is a floozy is no-one's business.

The children were in the care of their father who the mother felt was good enough to father two children with. I would assume she trusted him with their children when they were together what has changed?

Quite often the new woman is considered a floozy or something else derogatory because the mother has issues with her ex moving on

notanan2 Sat 29-Dec-18 19:23:56

there have been previous threads in the past about unwanted hair cuts, sometimes

I see no problem there unless the haircutting was done in a bullying way to deliberately upset the child.

It would be UR if it was a non parent, but if a child has 2 involved parents, events like hair cuts etc SHOULD be spread over the two. Imo.

Beau Sat 29-Dec-18 19:26:57

I disagree a little craftergran - if he has gone for someone 10 years younger maybe his judgement is possibly questionable and he was trying to appear 'cool' with it to impress her? Obviously we don't know all the facts and I understand where you are coming from but men in the throes of a new romance can sometimes be a bit 'dumb' in some regards in my experience.

Beau Sat 29-Dec-18 19:29:07

My dad cut a big chunk of my little brothers long hair off while he was asleep to upset my mum who liked it longer so hair can be quite a battle ground when people are splitting up etc.

craftergran Sat 29-Dec-18 19:44:50

Hmm Beau that was your dad.

OP is accusing gf of doing it as though dad had no say. Then went on to call her a floozy when from sounds of it it was ex SonIL who had an affair. He's the floozy... or male version of but she is getting the blame - all of it, from dyeing hair to affair and I just dont think that's very fair

Beau Sat 29-Dec-18 19:52:12

Of course that's not fair craftergran, 'it takes two to tango' and having an affair while your partner is pregnant is beyond the pale but I don't think many men would come up with the idea of dying children's hair so I was just talking about the hair incident ?

Dontaskme Sat 29-Dec-18 20:06:18

OP doesn't say anywhere that their hair was dyed. Just says "came back with blue and pink hair". If this is a real post then I would like to know what their Mother thinks? Why is the Granny so angry? Nothing to do with you ProudNanna, its between the parents. It'll wash out anyway

craftergran Sat 29-Dec-18 20:07:37

I doubt she did it maliciously, there's not many would go into a relationship wanting to be nasty to their partners children.

Most likely offered it wanting to be nice to the kids and father (I would assume) agreed then it's between mother and father and OP as gran, though she may be upset, it's not her children, nor her decision.

Dontaskme Sat 29-Dec-18 20:09:28

Ooops, OP DID say dyed in title!