Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do I meet someone new?

(56 Posts)
FlexibleFriend Mon 07-Jan-19 12:10:23

Try googling meetups in whatever area your in and should find something there to interest you.

FlexibleFriend Mon 07-Jan-19 12:08:29

Paid or free they are all pretty much the same, I think most people are of the opinion that paying gets you no more so why do it.
Some also share your profile with multiple sites so it looks as if they have more members. I haven't been active for the last 18 months yet still receive messages but at least no more dick pics.

Nonnie Mon 07-Jan-19 11:47:13

I have heard that the dating sites you pay for are much better than the free ones but have no experience,

Perhaps you could simply join a club or society which interests you. Maybe just making new friends in general will lead to something more

MawBroon Mon 07-Jan-19 11:45:07

I have no really informed suggestions but two of my friends (in their 50’s and 70’s respectively) met their present partners through walking groups. Good luck.

Teetime Mon 07-Jan-19 11:42:46

There are some nice dinner party groups you could join- a friend of mine did that and met some very nice people male and female.

Deni1963 Mon 07-Jan-19 11:41:14

I'm hoping you lovely grans remember me. It's been a year since I found out my ex was having an affair and she was pregnant. He's 52 and I was 54. We don't have children together. Two weeks later a second woman messaged me, he was also having an affair with her. The first terminated the pregnancy.
It's been one of the hardest years of my life, all I believed in totally crushed. I've managed to get back on my feet, and move on, and feel ready to meet someone else.
But dating sites have so far left me feeling this isn't the way for me, I've had maybe 12 dates and just not connecting.
I work as a nanny to a special needs child so don't meet men through work, and although I go out with friends etc, I don't seem to meet men I really want to date.
It's a whole new game. I'm not one to rush into bed with a man, yet this seems to be the course now, I don't even want to discuss sexually preferences etc, yet most men seem to just want to talk about sex! I'm not a prude at all, but don't see why I need to talk about it all before we've met.
So where do I meet someone new? I'm 55 now, and wondering if I will just not have another relationship.