Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

17 month old being denied solid food

(171 Posts)
Lavazza1st Sat 09-Feb-19 14:22:38

My son and his wife are jobless and living with us. Their 17 month old is being fed five full bottles of follow on formula a day and they wake in the night to give him bottles as well. As a result the toddler is not eating much solid food. A few times we've given him fruit and my daughter in law gets really upset that he may not drink his milk! I have tried to explain to her that he only needs one pint of milk a day and should be getting his nutrition from three good meals a day, but she ignores this and has hidden milk powder in their bedroom!
If they were living in their own house I'd not say anything, but they are living in our house and the little one really wants food! He absolutely loves some of the meals we've prepared! (His parents are being lazy and have prepared no meals and done no housework!) Also, they spend all their time on their phones and don't want us to engage with him because they say he should play alone. It's really difficult to see a child so apathetic and joyless. She's from China and I think their ways are different. What should I do???

Lavazza1st Sat 09-Feb-19 15:55:53

No he doesn't go to any groups yet. I fully intended to help her find out about them all, but she doesn't want to have anything to do with me.
The toddler is really sick with a congested chest and the gp and I have suggested for days that they give him a steamy bath. Last night, I finally nagged them into it by preparing the bathroom for them and standing there while they bathed him. He could breathe better and slept better (thank God!) but today they have taken him to the walk in centre and will likely be gone hours. I can only hope that the GP asks them about his diet and gives them some advice that they might actually listen to since I have found a tin of milk powder hidden in their room half gone that they only bought yesterday!!!

Lavazza1st Sat 09-Feb-19 15:57:10

Thanks Phoenix, I didn't know that! :D

Gonegirl Sat 09-Feb-19 16:00:09

I think you should talk about with your son, perhaps when she's not around. The little boy getting the right foods is more important than anything else.

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 16:00:43

The thread was more about sleeping issues Lavazza - a toddler wanting to be breastfed up to five times in the night.

M0nica Sat 09-Feb-19 16:01:00

The other thing they will need to check on is her visa status and, as you say they are having marital difficulties already, has she married and had the child in order to get a settlement visa for the UK?

Gonegirl Sat 09-Feb-19 16:01:55

I don't understand why they feel the need to hide the tins of formula. It's not as though it's that bad for him.

Gonegirl Sat 09-Feb-19 16:02:45

Really Monica! Why would that be any of our business?!

Gonegirl Sat 09-Feb-19 16:04:36

I think you should keep badgering her to get him taken to a toddler group. She would find other mums to talk to then.

Lavazza1st Sat 09-Feb-19 16:05:09

Sorry to hear that Farmor, I had no idea before they lived in our house just how bad his diet was. It's not because he doesn't like solid food though because he absolutely loves what we've given him so far, but my DIL gets so upset with us!
For example, last night after he had eaten his dinner he asked for a banana and ate the whole thing but she was nearly crying about it. Then my husband caught her making three bottles of formula this morning. He didn't say anything but we are concerned because he's quite slim and also not well. If it carries on I will have a word with the HV at our surgery as they are registered there.

Gonegirl Sat 09-Feb-19 16:06:10

Perhaps you could get them on your side, and show them that you are on there side, by buying the tin of milk and putting it in the kitchen in the open. Just as a starting point.

Lavazza1st Sat 09-Feb-19 16:06:25

PS I meant to say, my husband caught her making theree bottles of formula and they took him out without any breakfast...It seems like they don't want him to eat solid food and I just don't understand it.

Gonegirl Sat 09-Feb-19 16:07:25

What did he eat for that dinner?

Lavazza1st Sat 09-Feb-19 16:07:38

Gonegirl, I bought them a tin of milk powder (Aptamil 2) for their arrival here, but they went through it way too quickly at 5 full bottles a day :/ I knew he was having it but assumed it was a bottle at bedtime...

Gonegirl Sat 09-Feb-19 16:08:08

(The one where he had the banana after)

Lavazza1st Sat 09-Feb-19 16:09:32

M0nica I don't know. I think she thought our family were a lot richer than we are, hence all the demands for us to buy them a house and a car!
She can only stay til June because she's here on a tourist visa, so it all hinges on my son getting a good enough job to support them. If he can't she may not return after her trip back. I just don't know.

Gonegirl Sat 09-Feb-19 16:11:21

What actually are the "white foods"? Ready Brek? That's white. And good for him.

Lavazza1st Sat 09-Feb-19 16:11:46

Gonegirl, he ate a chipolata, some baked beans, french fries, green beans and a banana afterwards. It's not that he doesn't have an appetite, it's that she gets upset that he might not want his milk.
When she made the three bottles of formula this morning and took him out without any breakfast, we were concerned and then haven't been in touch since so we assume they are at the walk in centre due to his cough.

Lavazza1st Sat 09-Feb-19 16:14:42

Gonegirl, they will not let him have readybrek, cereal or anything "normal" for breakfast. They give him a Chinese custard bun, a glutious white flour thing. For lunch too...they don't like him to have fruit, veg, protien or anything resembling a normal one year old's diet.
But because they don't cook, we always put dinner on a plate for him when we do the evening meal. He always seems hungry, too. But DIL gets upset with us and it's awkward.

Gonegirl Sat 09-Feb-19 16:14:53

Well, so long as he's eating meals like that, why are you worrying? The milk isn't going to hurt him.

You mentioned "white foods" in the other thread?

Buffybee Sat 09-Feb-19 16:17:58

I agree with you Lavazza, I would be worried if my Dil was denying my Gs solid food at 17months old, especially as you say that your Gs loves the food you give him and even asks for more.
Can you try to get to the bottom of why your Dil doesn't want her child to eat solid food? Does your Ds know?
It's obviously something that is really upsetting her about the child eating solid food, if she is almost crying, watching you feeding him.

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 16:20:43

^ I have found a tin of milk powder hidden in their room half gone that they only bought yesterday!!!^

What on earth are you doing going into their room? shock
That is intrusive - and you have obviously been poking around as the tin of milk powder was hidden.

I would be very upset indeed if my MIL - or anyone - had done that.

Farmor15 Sat 09-Feb-19 16:24:30

There seems to be aggressive marketing of baby formula in China www.marketingtochina.com/how-to-promote-your-baby-milk-brand-in-china/
which might explain why your dil thinks she’s doing the right thing. Hopefully living in UK she might gradually realise that toddlers need to eat a more varied diet.
But in my own family case, dil finds giving a bottle the quickest way to sort out cranky children.

Baggs Sat 09-Feb-19 16:24:41

Only been here two weeks and you're nagging the life out of them!?!?!? Good grief!

Jalima1108 Sat 09-Feb-19 16:29:48

Perhaps the little boy is jetlagged, missing his Chinese family, bewildered by a completely different way of life and the bottles of milk are a comfort to him for the time being.

Gonegirl Sat 09-Feb-19 16:34:47

I would think the Chinese probably have different kinds of first foods for babies than we have here. Maybe the mum doesn't want the child's diet being westernised. Don't they eat fish? And rice?