Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

17 month old being denied solid food

(171 Posts)
Lavazza1st Sat 09-Feb-19 14:22:38

My son and his wife are jobless and living with us. Their 17 month old is being fed five full bottles of follow on formula a day and they wake in the night to give him bottles as well. As a result the toddler is not eating much solid food. A few times we've given him fruit and my daughter in law gets really upset that he may not drink his milk! I have tried to explain to her that he only needs one pint of milk a day and should be getting his nutrition from three good meals a day, but she ignores this and has hidden milk powder in their bedroom!
If they were living in their own house I'd not say anything, but they are living in our house and the little one really wants food! He absolutely loves some of the meals we've prepared! (His parents are being lazy and have prepared no meals and done no housework!) Also, they spend all their time on their phones and don't want us to engage with him because they say he should play alone. It's really difficult to see a child so apathetic and joyless. She's from China and I think their ways are different. What should I do???

Buffybee Sun 10-Feb-19 09:11:08

Well, after your goady post yesterday 23:37 Bluebell,
But dear Lavazz even though they are in your house it really isn't up to you when they put him to bed or what they feed him why did you have to stay up till 11 and be exhausted can't you go to bed and leave them to go to bed when they want?
No empathy to the OP what so ever!
The OP is working and running the household and would like some relaxation time in the evenings, in her own home.
Not to be told by you Bluebell to go to bed if she doesn't like a 17 month old playing with noisy toys at 11 at night.
Her Son and family have landed on her with nothing, no money, with a baby they haven't a clue how to look after, she is doing her best, under very difficult circumstances and if you haven't anything better to say than taking a dig at Lavazz then don't bother spouting on.
I'm pleased that your advice is slightly less acerbic, this morning, although is you've read the thread you will see that, of course it would be better if the Son and family had their own place but he has no job and they have no money and you are stating the obvious.
And yes! Son has been looking for work, if you'd read the thread you would know this.

PECS Sun 10-Feb-19 09:18:27

2 weeks is a short time to have got anything feeling settled..let alone have a job! Though it was a risk your DS took to come home without having researched some options ! So much good advice above. Fingers crossed you can say what needs to be said without arguments ?

Lavazza1st Sun 10-Feb-19 09:26:55

Thanks so much for all the helpful posts. I have probably been an idiot to allow them to come here at all. I was so happy at the thought of finally seeing my Grandson that I may have let emotions cloud my judgement.

Madgran77 Sun 10-Feb-19 09:44:00

Not an idiot. A helpful excited mother and granny who unfortunately was presented with something other Han her expectations! As were they! flowers

Lily65 Sun 10-Feb-19 09:48:44

I think they need to make an appointment with GP and get some basics established.

What a complicated tale this is.

Gonegirl Sun 10-Feb-19 10:26:40

Well, we know the littleun is healthy apart from a chesty cold, and what baby doesn't get one of those at some point? He's obviously getting enough food of whatever sort.

Apart from laying down some rules about quietness in the house after a certain time, can't see the problem.

But no doubt this thread will run and run... grin And probably turn into a bun fight. (Chinese buns?)

Jalima1108 Sun 10-Feb-19 13:38:03

Gonegirl grin

Where's the recipe for Chinese buns?
Perhaps someone in the house could make those and the little boy could have them for breakfast.

Lily65 Sun 10-Feb-19 13:39:35

Sometimes they contain jokes and stories don't they?

Jalima1108 Sun 10-Feb-19 15:25:20

oh, are they the same as fortune cookies?

Well, you're the pudding expert Lily65 wink
We'll let you make some!!

Jalima1108 Sun 10-Feb-19 15:27:01

www.jessicagavin.com/chinese-steamed-custard-bun-recipe/

Alexa Sun 10-Feb-19 15:45:31

I imagine that a 17 month baby fed only milk would be anaemic by now. Please get the health visitor in to see the baby and mother.

Alexa Sun 10-Feb-19 15:50:45

I note they "don't have a health visitor yet". You need to talk to your GP ; an undernourished child is a child protection problem. The baby of 17 months should not be apathetic. Has it had its hearing test? Its vaccinations? I'd kick up a row if I were you with a view to getting better care for the baby.

Gonegirl Sun 10-Feb-19 15:53:23

Jalima that is the recipe I was just going to link to for you. (Just come back to thread) Sounds good!

Gonegirl Sun 10-Feb-19 15:54:49

Follow on milk such as he is getting would have iron in it.

Lily65 Sun 10-Feb-19 16:19:29

I suggest make the cakes with the jokes in and then open a few in front of the baby. He will soon perk up and he can chomp on his sugar bun while you chuckle at the jokes. A sort of edible Christmas cracker.

Gonegirl Sun 10-Feb-19 16:26:10

I don't think there are any jokes in the buns.

Jalima1108 Sun 10-Feb-19 18:09:16

I note they "don't have a health visitor yet". You need to talk to your GP ; an undernourished child is a child protection problem.
The baby of 17 months should not be apathetic. Has it had its hearing test? Its vaccinations? I'd kick up a row if I were you with a view to getting better care for the baby.

They arrived two weeks ago after presumably about a 13 hour flight, the child is probably jetlagged, caught a chesty cold (perhaps from a virus going round the plan), is in a strange house in a strange country with people who don't speak his language!

There is no point at all in kicking up a row (good grief!!) but he may in all probability need to see the GP to see if he does need antibiotics or not and to register with a GP.

Lavazza1st Sun 10-Feb-19 23:23:16

He is starting to speak in English now, several words. Before they came here I asked DIL for a recipe to make Chinese steamed buns but DIL seemed offended and said they buy them, not make them! So, I didn't consider it worth persisting. I did buy the custard buns from a Chinese supermarket but he's not that fussed about them and my son fed him a boiled egg and soldiers this morning, plus a banana.

My son has listened to everything I've said and seems to be trying to feed him better but my DIL is now avoiding the family and staying in her room . To be honest, I'm not missing her company as she wanted to sit on her phone and ignore the baby, then criticise me for getting down on his level to play with him. I spoke to my son about that tonight and he asked me to look after the baby while he had a bath (DIL was still in the bedroom and when he asked the baby if he wanted to go to Mummy he shook his head!) So my husband and me had some quality time to play with Gs and he spoke many English words such as doggie, cat, banana and tomato. Not bad as he's been here such a short time.

Sorry this is so long, but I do feel we are making some progress now. If I were to write all the progress I'd be here all night smile Son is still doing everything, DIL avoiding the whole family. It will take time to build bridges and relationships take two, so I'll wait until she's ready.

Alexa Mon 11-Feb-19 23:50:12

GoneGirl, I'd not known that baby milk has iron in it, so I was mistaken. However if there is any worry about the baby not thriving it's far better to risk a row than to risk the baby's health.

agnurse Tue 12-Feb-19 05:40:13

Alexa

If there are concerns about the baby not thriving, the baby needs to see a medical professional. First of all, the OP isn't such. Children can be not thriving for many reasons. Secondly, a medical professional is an independent third party and advice will likely be better received.

BlueBelle Tue 12-Feb-19 06:23:49

Ok problems all over the baby’s cough is fine as we ve heard no more about that The much ‘disliked’ daughter in law has taken the hint and stayed in her room, the baby’s talking English whoopee and gran and dad are on the floor playing with the little chap. All is well
A very happy ending

Abuelamia Tue 12-Feb-19 08:49:48

BlueBelle
yes a very happy ending and baby is also eating egg with soldiers and DIL can now change a nappy. However, on the down side the dog has been sick and OPs DH is unwell.

MissAdventure Tue 12-Feb-19 08:57:01

Things are far from sorted out, so I see no need to be so dismissive of the op's concerns.

Beau Tue 12-Feb-19 09:15:08

I agree MissAdventure - the OP's problems are enormous and I am shocked at the rudeness shown in the previous 2 posts.

Lavazza1st Tue 12-Feb-19 09:33:09

Thanks Beau. I have told Ds this morning that if she continues to sulk, she will only hurt herself because nothing will change.
The fact is, he says she doesn't like our house and doesn't like our pets, but she knew about them before she came.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of staying at my parents house and criticising ANYTHING. All our kindness has meant nothing to her and everything I have done is thrown back in my face. For example, I had a baby blanket made especially for the baby and she (literally) threw it back at me saying it looked like a scarf. (It didn't!)

All other house guests we've had have been polite and thankful for our hospitality, but this one leaves me feeling that NOTHING I do is right. So, that is what I'm now doing. DH is ill and so am I, no doubt from all the stress. The dog feels better today at least.