Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Vacuum cleaners - corded or cordless?

(107 Posts)
kittylester Wed 13-Feb-19 07:43:00

Advice please!

Our current Dyson is on its last legs so I am going to replace it. My dilemma is - do I choose a corded one or a cordless? And what make?

Our house is quite big with carpeted floors apart from the bathrooms and kitchen. We have 2 staircases.

I really fancy a cordless but we have 3 cats so need a powerful vacuum. The longest run time I can find seems to be 40 minutes which would not be long enough to do the whole house.

But, corded ones are so heavy for carting up and down stairs.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

Please ignore the fact that we've just had a plug put under the stairs for a rechargeable one. blush

Razzy Wed 13-Feb-19 08:11:35

I’m going to replace my Dyson with a cordless. Although the run time seems low, I don’t think I ever vacuum continuously for more than 40 minutes.

Anja Wed 13-Feb-19 08:14:52

Cordless

tanith Wed 13-Feb-19 08:16:47

I love my cordless Dyson it’s just so versatile and light to use. Do you ever vacuum the whole house in one go? I only have a two bedroom house and it is plenty of charge for the whole house including doing under the sofas cushions hard floors in kitchen and bathroom.

kittylester Wed 13-Feb-19 08:19:35

It would be used by the cleaner to do either upstairs or down in one morning and, on occassions, in between.

tanith Wed 13-Feb-19 08:22:01

In that case get the cordless as you don’t do the whole house in one go.

MawBroon Wed 13-Feb-19 08:26:02

My cleaner brings his(yes!) own a maxi version of a Henry, but my corded Miele sits in the garage and I would not be parted from my cordless Dyson Animal for anything which is ideal for a quick hoover- over or dirty Paw emergency

Jangran99 Wed 13-Feb-19 08:33:18

A Shark for me every time.I have a Dyson too, but it has been assigned lighter duties upstairs!
(PS. the Shark was won in a Gransnet competition!! I love it.)

Jangran99 Wed 13-Feb-19 08:34:37

Forgot to say that both are cordless.

Greyduster Wed 13-Feb-19 09:06:47

We are currently mulling over whether to get a Dyson Animal cordless. We have two corded Dysons, but both are cumbersome and I want something more versatile. The runtime on the one we are looking at is sixty minutes (less if you run it at full power it seems), which should be sufficient I think, but DH (who, to be fair, does most of the vacuuming!) is not sure about it.

Luckygirl Wed 13-Feb-19 09:18:52

I have Dyson cordless - you can put the suck on max and it would get up your cat hairs - but of course the charge lasts less time on max.

My only gripe about the Dyson is that, whilst the motor is good, the construction is of flimsy plastic and easy to break - I have had to send it back once already as a little plastic locking tab on the dust container broke.

David1968 Wed 13-Feb-19 09:19:20

Both. We've an "ordinary" upright vacuum and a cordless (G-Tech.) DH (the chief floor cleaner) finds that both of them are very useful. We now live in a bungalow, but when in a house, we kept one upstairs and one downstairs. G-Tech brilliant for a daily whizz about (and excellent on our vinyl flooring). Upright vacuum good for more "intense" cleaning and for all its tools.

Thingmajig Wed 13-Feb-19 10:10:18

We bought a cordless Dyson when we moved to our current house 5 years ago and it's been brilliant. Plenty of charge for your everyday cleaning and so easy to use up stairs. I would certainly recommend it. I'll never buy corded again.
Other brands are available now of course and may well be as good! smile

annep1 Wed 13-Feb-19 10:44:39

We have a small cylinder one for the car and for doing all the corners etc once a month which is often enough. (Only usually us two here in our slippers.)
Have cordless Bosch Athlet. Would not be without a cordless vac. Love it. but dont like using the attachment.

GrandmaKT Wed 13-Feb-19 11:09:45

Could I ask people who have had cordless cleaners for a while - does the battery degrade? (In the way that a laptop battery does for example). Does the vacuuming time get shorter over time? If so, are new batteries available and are they expensive?

EllanVannin Wed 13-Feb-19 11:13:06

A corded one for a big house. Who wants to be stopping and starting re-charging ? I wouldn't want to.

FlexibleFriend Wed 13-Feb-19 12:21:52

I have a 4 bedroom house and can't remember ever vacuuming the whole house in one go. The most I do in one go is the lounge dining room and hall and stairs. I have 2 cordless Dysons and a corded one and have never not been able to vacuum what I need to do in one go. I just have a rest half way through have a cuppa and put the vacuum on charge and we're ready to go again.

NanTheWiser Wed 13-Feb-19 12:30:18

I have an upright Sebo - which I can highly recommend, but I also have a Dyson V6 which is used most weeks downstairs and upstairs. I do use the Sebo every few weeks, as it deep cleans the carpets much better than the Dyson. As there is only me here and no pets, the floors don't get very dirty, so these appliances are quite satisfactory.

Grammaretto Wed 13-Feb-19 14:16:01

I heard an item on the radio yesterday and pricked up my ears. Apparently the Dyson cordless doesn't stand the test of time. The batteries fail and Which have lowered their ratings.
A pity because I've recently bought one. My DD has a shark.

annodomini Wed 13-Feb-19 15:13:44

The batteries in my cordless Dyson failed and it just wouldn't re-charge. I now have a cordless upright Bosch which is very efficient and holds its charge a lot longer than the Dyson.

B9exchange Wed 13-Feb-19 15:21:12

I think I must have been unlucky, tried out a cordless when helping out a friend, and found it so much heavier to use than my bagless pull around Dyson.

Beau Wed 13-Feb-19 15:30:31

I love my Sebo corded upright for the cat hair (it's the pet version) but for DGS crumbs etc. I use my tiny Black and Decker car vacuum which takes up no room at all and is just there to grab.

annep1 Wed 13-Feb-19 15:35:36

We've had our Bosch Athlet for years. No problems. Battery??

nettyandmasey Thu 14-Feb-19 09:36:40

I have a Shark liftaway. Excellent as makes stair cleanings easier. It is corded.I also have three cats.

Blackcat3 Thu 14-Feb-19 09:46:30

Cordless. Lighter and more easy to manoeuvre. A bit annoying when you forget to charge it, but fully charged will do a 4 bedroom 2 reception room house. GTECH...cant fault mine.