Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Vacuum cleaners - corded or cordless?

(108 Posts)
kittylester Wed 13-Feb-19 07:43:00

Advice please!

Our current Dyson is on its last legs so I am going to replace it. My dilemma is - do I choose a corded one or a cordless? And what make?

Our house is quite big with carpeted floors apart from the bathrooms and kitchen. We have 2 staircases.

I really fancy a cordless but we have 3 cats so need a powerful vacuum. The longest run time I can find seems to be 40 minutes which would not be long enough to do the whole house.

But, corded ones are so heavy for carting up and down stairs.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

Please ignore the fact that we've just had a plug put under the stairs for a rechargeable one. blush

gmelon Fri 15-Feb-19 01:55:54

I have an upright Sebo and a red Henry.
I love the Henry, I've used them for over thirty years.
The most useful way I found was to use a main corded appliance and also a small bagless corded for quick clean ups and corners.
Although I can't vacuum these days I'm following this with interest as I'm contemplating a cordless.
My issue with cordless is longevity (the vacuum not me!). I know the score with mains power.

Ironmaiden Fri 15-Feb-19 08:23:17

I bought a Dyson cordless and while I love to use it, I find it nowhere near as good as my upright for cat hairs or deeper pile rugs. The charge doesn’t last very long on max either, I can’t do my whole 3 bed house on max power.

Doreen5 Fri 15-Feb-19 08:39:11

Upright corded SEBO for me. Deep cleans beautifully every time with excellent tools (attached) and never breaks down. Had it for years and so does the Royal Household!

glammagran Fri 15-Feb-19 09:35:10

We have a cordless Bosch Athlet and are waiting for a new battery under warranty as it has suddenly degraded to 10 minutes vacuuming tine.

Cagney Fri 15-Feb-19 09:37:37

Stay clear often cordless dyson
If you live somewhere leaves constantly blowing in dyson whilst brilliant for stairs and upstairs I find gets easily blocked when autumn descends

Iam64 Fri 15-Feb-19 15:49:19

Cagney, do you use your Dyson in the gaEden?

Iam64 Fri 15-Feb-19 15:49:45

That should say garden of course