Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Vacuum cleaners - corded or cordless?

(108 Posts)
kittylester Wed 13-Feb-19 07:43:00

Advice please!

Our current Dyson is on its last legs so I am going to replace it. My dilemma is - do I choose a corded one or a cordless? And what make?

Our house is quite big with carpeted floors apart from the bathrooms and kitchen. We have 2 staircases.

I really fancy a cordless but we have 3 cats so need a powerful vacuum. The longest run time I can find seems to be 40 minutes which would not be long enough to do the whole house.

But, corded ones are so heavy for carting up and down stairs.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

Please ignore the fact that we've just had a plug put under the stairs for a rechargeable one. blush

Iam64 Fri 15-Feb-19 15:49:45

That should say garden of course

Iam64 Fri 15-Feb-19 15:49:19

Cagney, do you use your Dyson in the gaEden?

Cagney Fri 15-Feb-19 09:37:37

Stay clear often cordless dyson
If you live somewhere leaves constantly blowing in dyson whilst brilliant for stairs and upstairs I find gets easily blocked when autumn descends

glammagran Fri 15-Feb-19 09:35:10

We have a cordless Bosch Athlet and are waiting for a new battery under warranty as it has suddenly degraded to 10 minutes vacuuming tine.

Doreen5 Fri 15-Feb-19 08:39:11

Upright corded SEBO for me. Deep cleans beautifully every time with excellent tools (attached) and never breaks down. Had it for years and so does the Royal Household!

Ironmaiden Fri 15-Feb-19 08:23:17

I bought a Dyson cordless and while I love to use it, I find it nowhere near as good as my upright for cat hairs or deeper pile rugs. The charge doesn’t last very long on max either, I can’t do my whole 3 bed house on max power.

gmelon Fri 15-Feb-19 01:55:54

I have an upright Sebo and a red Henry.
I love the Henry, I've used them for over thirty years.
The most useful way I found was to use a main corded appliance and also a small bagless corded for quick clean ups and corners.
Although I can't vacuum these days I'm following this with interest as I'm contemplating a cordless.
My issue with cordless is longevity (the vacuum not me!). I know the score with mains power.

theretheredear Fri 15-Feb-19 00:36:33

The corded vacuum gives a better performance over the cordless every time.
The which magazine tested both over different models, the results are surprising.
I'm sticking to my corded Dyson..

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Feb-19 00:26:04

I wonder if I might ask advice about long hair getting caught in the rollers?
Just pull!! It should unravel

Itsmyfirstrodeo Thu 14-Feb-19 22:55:16

I wonder if I might ask advice about long hair getting caught in the rollers?
I would love to switch to a cordless but having tested one I found I spent more time hacking unravelling it off than I did hoovering. I currently have a corded Dyson which doesn't have a roller on the head, but is getting quite heavy and cumbersome now

llizzie2 Thu 14-Feb-19 22:29:14

Which? will give you some answers. You do not have to be a member of which? to find out what their research is, though I am because the monthly magazine is better value than the average women' s mags. You can go on their site, pay a small sum - used to be £1 - and get the info for whatever you are interested in. It entitled you to a look at one thing.

Nannyknee Thu 14-Feb-19 22:28:23

I used to have a Dyson cordless, but found it didn’t last very long and plastic bits kept falling off! I’ve now purchased a Shark, it is so much more powerful and although the charge only lasts 20 minuets I find this adequate. I don’t clean the whole house at once.

quizqueen Thu 14-Feb-19 22:19:28

Buy a Henry for each storey, I wouldn't touch Dyson

Gonegirl Thu 14-Feb-19 22:19:26

Yes, they do need emptying more often. At least twice in the case of my living room carpet. (Which does seem to shed a lot of fluff)

Applegran Thu 14-Feb-19 22:11:23

I am very tempted to get a cordless - can anyone tell me if it is easy to empty, and if it needs emptying a lot more often than a corded one?

Gonegirl Thu 14-Feb-19 20:57:32

My dyson cordless fills up so quickly. Well, I say fills up but real it gets half full, clogs up, and won't run anymore. And then to empty I have to shove a thin stick up inside it to get the dust out. It's really badly designed. It's alright on hard floors. It's carpet fluff that clogs the thing up. And sometimes the emptying flap drops down while I'm using it. Dumps the dust out.

Can't beat beat my Miele really.

My roomba is quite good too.

Iam64 Thu 14-Feb-19 20:47:16

Dyson V6 Absolute Cordless - so light and easy to use.

Barleysugar Thu 14-Feb-19 20:45:58

Dyson V6 Absolute Cordless. Absolutely brilliant . So handy for car learning too.

Pam13 Thu 14-Feb-19 20:34:52

Finally took the plunge about a year ago and bought a Dyson V8 cordless; it is wonderful, so easy to pick it up and run it around. I have only used my Hetty once since.

Magrithea Thu 14-Feb-19 19:45:20

I have both but love the cordless Dyson! They do one that is supposed to be for animal hair so have a look at their website

Meta Thu 14-Feb-19 19:14:03

Love love love both my cordless Gtech vacuum and handheld - purchased from Lakeland to get extra long free guarantee- so light and easy absolutely would never go back to corded!

Grandmama Thu 14-Feb-19 18:44:20

Can anyone recommend a powerful hand held vac? The DDs bought me a battery AEG a few years ago because they were concerned about me struggling to vac the stairs with Henry. The hand held attachment is not strong enough for the stairs.

Herbie9 Thu 14-Feb-19 17:55:07

Recently replaced my heavy old Animal Corded Dyson with a GTech K9 Air Ram and Multi hand held. Very pleased with performance of both. The old Dyson was efficient and cleaned deep down but I find the GTech matches this and is so light to use and empty, particularly if you have arthritic hands. The handheld is great for stair, upholstery and the car. Most cordless vacuums are top heavy on the handle and it can be difficult to detach their hand held section.

OmaforMaya Thu 14-Feb-19 17:45:37

I've just recently purchased a cordless but it's not as good as my old Oreck cord vacuum. I will keep it for my upstairs to save carrying up and down but I am planning now to buy a new Oreck cord vacuum. The cordless has good suction but no brushes to go deep into the carpets.

Lizbott Thu 14-Feb-19 16:48:59

Love my G Tech. So light and easy to carry upstairs. We have a 4 bed house and I have only ran out of battery a couple of times. I also have the handheld so clean the stairs or skirting boards whilst the main cleaner on charge.