Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Poorly grandchild.

(95 Posts)
Bopeep14 Wed 13-Feb-19 12:32:26

A question for all of you who look after grandchildren while their parents are at work.
Do you look after them when they are poorly or does a parent take time off?
I am asking because my youngest granchild has been poorly now for going on a month he is only one, he has various things viral infection, chest infection, now tonsillitis, which he is quite poorly with, his parents were at the hospital with him until 1-30 this morning i was at there house looking after there other child so only got to bed at 2-30 am to be up at 7am to look after him. While i don't mind looking after poorly children i am a little fed up with my furniture carpet and myself being covered in vomit. My daughter always takes time off if her child is ill, i just find it strange my daughter in law would rather go to work.

GabriellaG54 Fri 15-Feb-19 11:22:15

I have to laugh at the closed minds on here who think you can only have one job for life.

muffinthemoo Fri 15-Feb-19 11:22:27

I enjoy being told I have thrown away, wasted, etc my education and career by giving up work to raise my children. It doesn't make me feel shit at all. Other people's divorces and failed custody arrangements were obviously a much better use of eighty hours of my week than my children's early years.

Is there going to be a point at which society gives respect and attaches value to caring work that doesn't have an hourly rate attached?

GabriellaG54 Fri 15-Feb-19 11:27:14

muffinthemoo
Respect ??

PECS Fri 15-Feb-19 11:32:54

RosyLeah I was a proper mother to my daughters but I also worked. Let's drop this odd snobbery about the better type of mother/ parent. I personally, whilst enjoying my 2 yrs not working, was ready to return to work part time and then full time. For me it was the right thing to do. I have good friends who were home mothers and it was right for them. Choice is not always what everyone has. 2018 is a different world to 70s when my kids were born. Stop judging start thinking.

Iam64 Fri 15-Feb-19 11:35:59

RosieLeah, here in the north west, in Yorkshire and the north east and possibly in the midlands and the rest of the world for all I know but, I do know about the north west which is where I live and we have relatives in other spots in the north east.
It was the case that women worked in the cotton mills, in the mines and of course, as washer women, cooks, pie bakers and child minders. My grannie was back in the mill when dad was 6 weeks old. He went to the local wet nurse. He was a caring, devoted father and husband. He had a successful career despite coming from a poor working class family were education after 13 (or 11 in earlier generations) was unknown. There wasn't enough money then to keep bread on the table and the rent paid, plus money saved in case the doctor was needed.
I realise this post may sound as though I'm in competition with the Python 3 Yorkshire men sketch. It just isn't the case that you aren't a 'proper mother' if you leave your children and continue working. It also isn't true that you're always a 'proper mother' if you stay at home.
It's about the people in the job rather than the job in the people.

PECS Fri 15-Feb-19 11:46:24

Gabriella54 I do not think anyone thinks you can only have one job for life! I have dabbled in all sorts ..though have had one main career area & taken a variety of jobs within that. You have obviously fitted a lot in, including raising 5 children. For those of us who have struggled to juggle home, 2 kids, work, study & social life.. we are overawed by the thought of adding an additonal 3 pregnancies and babies/ kids into the mix?

trisher Fri 15-Feb-19 11:47:44

muffinthemoo I don't think anyone is saying that you. have wasted your education etc. Just that it isn't the case that only stay at home mothers are good mothers and working mothers are bad. And that caring for children is something both parents can do.
If you had the choice to stay at home and you did so you were lucky. Others are not so lucky and some are better mums because they work. It isn't devaluing your role to say that women shouldn't have to do it. It is however devaluing the expertise and knowledge women have professionally to say they can't have children and a career.

Iam64 Fri 15-Feb-19 11:52:05

with you on all of that trisher.

Bopeep14 Fri 15-Feb-19 11:53:08

Sorry i didn't what to start a debate about who are better mothers. Just to say i was a stay at home mum until my youngest went to high school, but i in no way feel I'm a better mum that my grandchildrens mums. I gave up my job to look after my first grandchild when his mum went back to work. Its more exhausting than working though. One thing i will say i get to know my grandchildren very well and that is so rewarding. I love watching them learn new things i think its a privilege to be trusted with them.

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Feb-19 13:01:55

My mum used to take me to work with her in the nursery and school holidays way before Daughter to Work Day' was invented.

Jalima1108 Fri 15-Feb-19 13:02:51

sorry, 'insert' must have been on.

'Take Your Daughter to Work Day' - I went with my Mum!

GabriellaG54 Fri 15-Feb-19 15:53:55

Ah...*PECS*, my then husband worked offshore so I had no distraction and my children were nicely spaced, although naturally by 'accident' not design. It's amazing what you can achieve when you have a smooth routine. smile

PECS Fri 15-Feb-19 16:07:51

Gabriella34 am always amazed at what I did manage to achieve! When I look back and recall those late night early morning essay writing for my Masters and then going to work having got the kids to school.... though it helps I am not too house proud and never feel the need to iron grin

Baggs Fri 15-Feb-19 19:48:19

Gabriella, you say you were fortunate not to have to work but you did work. Your work was caring for and raising your kids. If someone had done that work you would have had to pay them and they would have had a respectable job.

Yes, I'm being pedantic. I get fed up of child care only counting as work if the kids you care for aren't your own.

Just saying ?

Anja Sat 16-Feb-19 05:42:33

I think GabG has had an amazing variety of jobs and qualifications, as well as having and raising 5 children.

MawBroon Sat 16-Feb-19 09:19:54

“Working” mums?

Iam64 Sat 16-Feb-19 09:21:47

Love it Maw, I'm hopeless as inserting pictures but if I could do it, I'd include one of Mother Courage.

MawBroon Sat 16-Feb-19 09:39:37

New production at the Royal Exchange in Manchester which looks interesting (if that isn’t advertising)

Iam64 Sat 16-Feb-19 12:17:15

It does, great cast as well. We're off on our travels, so may not get to the RE this time.