Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you wish you'd inherited from your mother?

(183 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-Mar-19 14:47:22

We were talking about Mother's Day and thinking about the things we really wish we'd inherited from them. For me, it would have to be my mum's singing voice - I can't hold a note, yet she can make a song out of the week's shopping list and sound like she should be on stage. What do you wish you'd inherited from your mum?

phoenix Tue 26-Mar-19 18:56:14

At least some of her money. She cut me out completely and left everything to my son.

My late step father would have been horrified.

RosieLeah Tue 26-Mar-19 18:58:32

I can't think of a single thing. I've inherited her face and hair, for which I'm thankful. I got the best bits from each of my parents, apart from my fathers musical talent.

cornergran Tue 26-Mar-19 19:01:20

Her bone structure and good old common sense. After nearly 30 years I still miss her ability to normalise anything.

BradfordLass72 Tue 26-Mar-19 19:12:48

*What do you wish you'd inherited from your mother?"

$800,000

smile

Tangerine Tue 26-Mar-19 19:20:31

Her intelligence. I am not a fool but my mother did well academically and found schoolwork very easy.

stella1949 Tue 26-Mar-19 20:38:35

Nothing. She wasn't a nice person at all. When people talk about how we learn from our mothers, my opinion is that if I want to know what to do in any situation, I think of what my mother did.....and I do the opposite.

harrigran Wed 27-Mar-19 00:17:07

Nothing at all. I am who I am despite her.

Grandma2213 Wed 27-Mar-19 00:36:21

I am so pleased to see the honesty of those who don't want to inherit from their mother. I thought I was the only one. Sadly I do see her in the mirror from time to time and though I absolutely understand why she was what she was I hate it when I see those traits appearing in myself. I am just thankful that, unlike my brother, I am able to accept her for what she was and move on.

KatyK Wed 27-Mar-19 09:26:17

I am totally different from my mother. She was downtrodden, married to a violent alcoholic. I'm sure she did her best but her children are all nervous wrecks. I inherited my alopecia from her which is pretty horrible, but not her fault obviously.

annsixty Wed 27-Mar-19 09:40:10

Like so many others I am grateful that I didn't inherit any of her personality traits.
I would have liked her height and her youthful looks though.
She wasn't entirely white haired when she died at 101 and her skin was really good.
I have always envied others who truly loved their mother and had a good relationship.
My father died when I was 11 so didn't have any bond with either of my parents.

Scribbles Wed 27-Mar-19 10:46:25

Her skills in sewing, embroidery and cake icing.
Her beautifully shaped hands and strong, elegant fingernails.

Jane10 Wed 27-Mar-19 10:54:11

Interesting how so many of us didn't want to 'inherit' anything from our mothers.

JessK Wed 27-Mar-19 11:00:45

Her ability to firmly say no in a pleasant way
Her resilience learnt during the war in London
Her sewing skills

Bopeep14 Wed 27-Mar-19 11:11:59

I wish I had inherited her patience and understanding. She is a wonderful mum. I feel very lucky to have her still in my life she is 90. X

Grannybags Wed 27-Mar-19 12:06:04

I'm hoping I've inherited her health - she lived to be almost 98 even though she smoked all her adult life!

grannyticktock Wed 27-Mar-19 13:46:35

Ooh I have thought of something: my Mum had a vast vocabulary of Scottish dialect words, phrases.and quaint sayings which she used regularly. We grew up understanding them but I've lived all my adult life in England (as did my brother) and only use a few of them now. I'm sure I've already forgotten many of them, and wish I had somehow stored them, as they are now extinct in my branch of the family.

Grandma70s Wed 27-Mar-19 15:02:06

I’ve always felt I could cook like her if I really tried, but perhaps I couldn’t. All her meals were spectacular. She had a real talent for cookery, plus the patience to do it. I get bored. I’m not interested in sewing, so it doesn’t bother me that I have inherited not one bit of her talent for that.

I think I am better-looking than she was, though. Perhaps not now so much, as I am getting more like her, but when I was younger. We were both tall, but I was slimmer and I think more graceful. She was rather colourless, fairish with pale eyelashes and eyebrows. I had (and have) more defined, darker colouring. I don’t think there was anything about her looks I’d have liked to inherit.

I’m nowhere near as unselfish as she was. Not sure whether it’s possible to be too unselfish. If it is, she was.

Scribbles Wed 27-Mar-19 16:08:57

I'd like to add to my previous post: her mental and emotional strength in adversity

Grammaretto Wed 27-Mar-19 16:34:53

I'm not like my mother at all apart from looks. She wasn't a beauty but made the best of herself.
She was clever, competitive, witty, dynamique, musical, a wonderful entertainer and brave but quick tempered and impatient and could be rude to stupid people. She also suffered from depression and would been diagnosed as bi-polar had it been a thing in her day.
I didn't know my father, who died when I was very young, but I guess I am like him in personality.
I'll miss her on mother's day.

Miep1 Wed 27-Mar-19 16:39:27

Her artistic talent!

Nandalot Wed 27-Mar-19 17:29:00

Her fabulous skin. Wrinkle free until her 80 s and then just a few hairline. Her skin regime? Occasional treatment with her special cream. I.e. the top of the milk skimmed off and left in the fridge overnight before application!

varian Wed 27-Mar-19 17:57:12

My lovely Mum had the ability to eat as much as she liked and never put on weight. She also had boundless energy. The two were probably connected. I wish I'd inherited her metabolism.

Willow10 Thu 28-Mar-19 09:47:27

The name of my father. Too late now .......

Patticake123 Thu 28-Mar-19 09:50:25

Her knitting, crochet and sewing skills and her ability to make cakes that rose to perfection. Oh, I almost forgot, her ability to make the best roast potatoes and Shepherd ‘s pie that I’ve ever tasted! ?

gardeningsuey Thu 28-Mar-19 09:55:03

My mother was very easily pleased by the simplest things in life. She would say things were "delightful" and really mean it. Dear Mum.