Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What do you wish you'd inherited from your mother?

(183 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 26-Mar-19 14:47:22

We were talking about Mother's Day and thinking about the things we really wish we'd inherited from them. For me, it would have to be my mum's singing voice - I can't hold a note, yet she can make a song out of the week's shopping list and sound like she should be on stage. What do you wish you'd inherited from your mum?

pinkprincess Mon 01-Apr-19 00:41:52

My mother had marvellous knitting and sewing skills.I can do both but not to my mother's standards.I am one of four sisters and she made all our dresses including the hand smocked ones.She was also a marvellous cook and could make Yorkshire Pudding to die for.
I inherited her love of reading, we were both very happy with a good book.
I have also got some of her negative traits as well but am not going into them on this thread

paddyann Mon 01-Apr-19 01:55:51

A singing voice,both my parents sang all the time,My mum as she worked around the house,Dad sang at charity events and when we had parties they sang wonderful duets .My sisters all take after them ,they play instruments and sing ...me I was the one who always had my head in a book .I love music to listen to but I'm no singer much as I'd love to be .

absent Mon 01-Apr-19 04:03:08

My mother and her sisters were all extremely beautiful and I have to say those genes passed me by. However, I am not so sure that being beautiful is the blessing that it is sometimes thought to be so I am not especially regretful about that. Strange as it sounds I did inherit the skin that ran through the female line – no teenage acne, no spots and silky smooth; even at the age of 68 I still receive unexpected compliments. Thanks, granny and mum. Even in her nineties, my ma still had quite a thick head of curly hair – something absentdaughter has inherited. Mine has always been very fine and thin and I am quite sure that I shall end up as one of those almost bald old ladies who either don't care or wear outrageously coloured turbans. Green eyes – although my mother's were more like emeralds and mine are more like pond weed except when I am very happy or very angry.

Jackie1980 Mon 01-Apr-19 22:15:40

I wouldn't want to inherit anything from my mother. I've never felt good enough for her, criticised, judged, put down. Self-centred person who worships money. I once said to my Dad if I ever get like her shoot me! Don't worry he said, I will!! ???

whywhywhy Mon 08-Apr-19 20:43:44

My mam was a nurse and I wish that I could have been like her but I hate the sight of blood and needles. I did manage to become a medical secretary though. That brought me to the life of hospitals. She lived until she was 99 back in 2009. I love and miss her so much. Her strength was amazing.

jogginggirl Mon 08-Apr-19 22:21:53

I would be happy if I have inherited just a little of my mum‘s sense of humour, her compassionate nature, her love for others and her SMILE ?☺️
I miss her so much ?

Nata Thu 11-Apr-19 07:58:50

Jackie1980, oh my gosh...

I wish I'd inherited slim legs and straight back from my mother.