Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Brassy hair

(49 Posts)
Butweam1952 Sat 27-Apr-19 10:11:26

Doesn't matter where or how I have my hair coloured, I always end up with brassy blonde hair! I know I have loads of grey in my natural colour now, but still got the brassiness. Does anyone else have this problem, and has anyone found a remedy!

pce612 Sun 28-Apr-19 12:09:01

Tomato ketchup is for hair that has gone green from chlorine - green+red = brown.
I should imagine that if you put TK on brassy blonde, you will get orange - yellow+red.
Purple shampoos and conditioners are the way to go.

babsbabsbabs Sun 28-Apr-19 12:33:20

Lush daddy-o has helped to blend my growing out grey with my tinted brown hair so helps with darker brassy tones aswell.

Sparklefizz Sun 28-Apr-19 12:50:40

Colour your hair yourself using a herbal product which doesn't contain bleach like Tints of Nature. Choose a colour with a hint of ash, and your hair will lose its brassiness, although it might take a while for the main brassy bits to grow out.

Aepgirl Sun 28-Apr-19 14:31:16

Use a very diluted blue rinse. When I had blond highlights are used to use a Reckitts blue bag - don’t think you can get it now.

Ironmaiden Sun 28-Apr-19 14:49:11

I can recommend Scott Cornwall Colour Restore toners, they come in a tube and there are several applications depending on how long your hair is. I have used the platinum and silver metallic.

Yorkshiregirl Sun 28-Apr-19 14:57:20

I hate the touch of silver shampoo as it dulls my colour. I have white hzir now but brighten it with a very light blonde at home. Get the shade 10.1 in any brand as its not brassy

Sheilasue Sun 28-Apr-19 15:20:13

I have grey hair and I am using Charles worthington platinuim shampoo and conditioner, no sulphates etc.
It’s a lovely shampoo and gives your hair a gorgeous shine.
It is for blonde hair but it’s great on my grey the conditioner makes your hair soft and manageable.

Dexterbaby123 Sun 28-Apr-19 15:21:50

Try Whit Hot Hair on the internet theydo lovely products I use them on my grey hair.

Dexterbaby123 Sun 28-Apr-19 15:22:31

Try White Hot Hair products order on the internet

Madmartha Sun 28-Apr-19 15:59:18

Lots of different purple shampoos on the market but none particularly good except for the brilliant Fudge. It’s the best by miles and sold on Amazon. Gives you fabulous silvery shiny hair and pulls in the compliments.

David1968 Sun 28-Apr-19 16:40:28

Have you tried all of the other ones, Madmartha? (Bit of a sweeping statement, there.)

knspol Sun 28-Apr-19 17:30:55

Used to have the same problem whenever I went out in the sun. Changed hairdresser and decided to go grey, much better.

lilypollen Sun 28-Apr-19 18:06:20

I too recommend Lush Daddy-O. I have had two colours blended with my grey but last time hair stylist persuaded me to go with the 2 colours all over. It was terrible so can't wait to go back to the 2 mixed with natural. I just can't bring myself to go all grey shock

Coolgran65 Sun 28-Apr-19 18:26:29

I was a redhead and my now ‘blonde’ hair can look brassy if not careful. One reason I can’t colour it myself.

Last week I mentioned this to my hairdresser and we changed the colours.

She used a soft light brown shade (number 7) and broke it up with foils of a pale ashy blonde. I love it.

Coolgran65 Sun 28-Apr-19 18:30:04

Many years ago, about (0 years, I worked in a hospital. When I had my blonde bits put in I used to use a little gentian violet from the ward in my hair rinse. It gave a very faint shade to the blond bits and I reckoned I was pretty cool smile

Coolgran65 Sun 28-Apr-19 18:30:37

Oops .... about 50 years

Treebee Sun 28-Apr-19 19:13:26

Another vote for Daddy O shampoo. Smells lovely and violety too. Wish Lush made a corresponding conditioner.

David1968 Sun 28-Apr-19 19:23:35

Treebee, I agree about the conditioner and would love Lush to make a purple one. As they don't, I use Lush's "American Cream" conditioner which I find leaves my hair lovely and soft. And I don't need to use much of it.

lilypollen Sun 28-Apr-19 19:29:52

Yep. I love the American Cream too.

DoraMarr Sun 28-Apr-19 20:02:13

Bleach London blue shampoo and conditioner is good- you can buy it in Boots. The Scott Cornwall toner is great too.

annodomini Sun 28-Apr-19 20:28:13

Aveda Blue Malva shampoo works with my silver hair and I am sure it would tone down brassiness.

Nannytopsy Mon 29-Apr-19 03:30:36

I have had the yellow hair problem with everything I tried to colour my light brown hair. Even permanent dyes at the hairdresser had disappeared in about three weeks. Now I have gone artificially grey to transition it. Love it but even the grey colour doesn’t last at all. I am gradually working my way through every toner and purple product on the market!

Anniet Tue 30-Apr-19 09:58:39

I agree with Mamissimo - touch of silver shampoo and conditioner has worked for me. I am not naturally blonde, but have ash blonde hi-lights in among the grey hairs.