Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I think I need help!

(32 Posts)
Bekind Wed 01-May-19 12:38:23

I always thought I would get my family raised and my life would get more peaceful. I am so emotionally exhausted from all the drama from my children. Now I am experiencing estrangement from a daughter. I can't quiet my mind. Would talking to a professional be helpful? I would love hearing from any of you if you found a therapist helpful at this stage of our lives.

westerlywind Wed 01-May-19 12:44:45

I am in a similar situation. I have had CBT and that gave me some confidence back. I find life a lot more peaceful now that I have chosen to distance myself from all the dramas.

Feel free to PM me if you want

Newatthis Wed 01-May-19 13:08:31

Good advice from westerleywind. I have heard that CBT is good too! Try Yoga Nidra which can be downloaded from the internet. This is not exercise but mind training and certainly calms your mind leaving you more ready to cope with problems. A therapist could also help but only if you can find the right one - ask your doctor can you be referred.

Nonnie Wed 01-May-19 13:40:55

No advice but just to say how sorry I am to hear this.

Bekind Wed 01-May-19 15:47:55

Thanks to you all for replying. I think I will give therapy a try. I really need to learn how to cope with hurtful people and situations. I haven't been able to distance myself yet and still be happy because my children have been the most important purpose in life. I have never interfered in my adult children's lives but still thought I would be loved and wanted around as that is how I feel about my parents. I know I have to learn how to let them be who they are. Thanks for being so kind!

NanKate Wed 01-May-19 16:03:59

I have had CBT too when things were dire for our family last year and it did stop me sobbing and feeling dreadful all the time. It’s not the complete answer but it does help.

Best of luck Bekind

crazyH Wed 01-May-19 16:15:19

Last August I was in a similar situation with my older son I cannot even begin to recount the awful, awful things he said to me. Fast forward 4 months to Xmas and there was some sort of peace. This semi-reconciliation came about, not from my son, but from his wife, who decided that peace had to be made, probably for the sake of the kiddies. Things are not 100% - seen them a couple of times since Xmas, but I doubt it will ever go back to what it was before his marriage . Like he said in that nasty email - he doesn't trust me - why I don't know. I'm hurting as I write this but what can't be cured must be endured. Good luck Bekind xx

Anja Wed 01-May-19 16:17:10

This is not are rare as you might imagine Bekind as sadly children do move on and away, geographically and emotionally.

hdh74 Wed 01-May-19 16:23:53

So sorry to hear that bekind - I know how terribly painful this is. Haven't tried therapy so far. There's a thread here that you might like to read if you're not already aware of it www.gransnet.com/forums/threads-im-on

hdh74 Wed 01-May-19 16:24:23

sorry this is the thread www.gransnet.com/forums/relationships/1260550-Support-for-all-who-are-living-with-estrangement

Bekind Wed 01-May-19 17:42:35

thank you, hdh74!

BradfordLass72 Thu 02-May-19 06:50:54

As long as you don't start blaming yourself Bekind.

My son had a strange freak and wrote me the sort of e-mail you doubtless received and up to then, literally only days before, we'd had a laughing 2 hour phone conversation (a frequent thing in those days).

He was always a little unpredictable but had never said any of the awful things which came out in the letter.

It took me ages and wonderful therapy from my younger son, to convince me it wasn't me at fault.

My reasoning now, and advice to others in the same position, is that if we were such evil monsters, why did they not 'divorce' us years ago? Why now, suddenly?

It's that which tells you it is no fault of yours.

I'm glad there's a sort of peace in your relationship.
I have not heard from my son in almost 2 decades.

Starlady Thu 02-May-19 08:49:09

Hugs!

CassieJ Thu 02-May-19 10:29:33

I had counselling last year due to estrangement from my elder son, it made a massive difference to me. I had been constantly worrying about exactly what I had done that was so wrong, and the counsellor made me see that this wasn't about me, it is about my son. This is his problem, not mine.

It really helped me to let go of any guilt I had about what was happening. Not to say, I don't still worry about never seeing him and his family again, but I feel much better having spoken to someone independent of family.

Bekind Thu 02-May-19 12:25:52

This is good to know! I have made my appointment! I hope I can get some kind of relief!

Bekind Thu 02-May-19 12:28:40

I'm so sorry about your son! My daughter has put me in the freezer off and on her whole life, but I thought she would outgrow it once she had children of her own. Not only did she still turn on me, but is enjoying using her children to punish me. She has told her sister she is not even going to tell us when her baby is born!

Labaik Thu 02-May-19 13:00:37

Bekind; perhaps you need to relearn how to put yourself first; something we find very difficult when we have children. If you need help to do so, sobeit. I've always felt that those of us that try not to interfere in our childrens lives but do everything we can to support them in any way possible are often taken for granted. I've had several estrangements from my children [thankfully all ok at the moment] and still have no idea what I did to deserve it.crazyH sad flowers

Bekind Thu 02-May-19 13:46:37

I think you make a good point, Labaik. I think I put myself first because I spend most of my time doing what I want now, but as I'm doing it, I am thinking of my children!

agnurse Thu 02-May-19 17:15:34

BradfordLass72

In fairness, some people are so caught up in a toxic relationship that they don't realize at first that it IS toxic. This is commonly referred to as being in the FOG: Fear, Obligation, and Guilt. It may take years for the individual to realize that there is a problem.

Now, I am not saying that everyone here is toxic. That said, if you are currently experiencing estrangement, it might be beneficial to critically examine your own behaviour and to consider counselling. Even if you aren't "toxic" per se, it is still possible that you may have had an unhealthy relationship with your child.

Tedber Thu 02-May-19 21:08:29

Bekind...I don't know what has gone on in your life to make your daughter shove you out of her life. All I can say is..you have brought your children up! You DESERVE peace now to carry on your life as you want to. If this is a sort of BLACKMAIL attempt....it is up to you whether you comply or stick to your guns.

I can empathise with you as I have six children, all with children of their own. They sometimes try to 'blackmail' me into looking after their children when I have other plans. Yes, I help when I can BUT when I want to do my own thing...I do it! I never bow to feeling 'guilty'....done that, been there, worn the t-shirt.... Sometimes one, or other has gone off in a huff and I just leave them to it! TBH..I would NEVER be blackmailed with any of my children. THIS is MY time now!

So in answer to your question would a therapist help? NO, just stick to your guns and tell your kids exactly what you will and won't do and start to live YOUR life the way you want to. Good luck hon x

Bekind Thu 02-May-19 22:55:30

I am experiencing estrangement because my daughter hates her brother and his wife so much that she wanted me to tell them they could not come to my house while she was there. When I refused, she said I picked them, and wrote me out of her life.

Bekind Thu 02-May-19 22:57:07

That's my critical examination of my behavior.

Labaik Fri 03-May-19 01:33:58

The dreaded sibling rivalry. Never goes away, does it sad. Out of interest, is your daughter the eldest one?

janeainsworth Fri 03-May-19 01:48:14

it is still possible that you may have had an unhealthy relationship with your child

How do you define a healthy parent-child relationship, agnurse?
Presumably it is not simply the absence of abuse.
Genuine question from someone who feels that most of us just muddle through, doing our best.

agnurse Fri 03-May-19 04:26:40

It's not just the absence of abuse.

It's a relationship where the child is given freedom to grow and develop as an individual. It's a relationship where the parent and child are not each other's only sources of emotional support - that isn't healthy. It's a relationship where the parent accepts the role of parent when the child is young and provides guidance, but gives the child opportunities to learn and grow and recognizes that when the child becomes an adult, he/she is becomes the parent's peer and has the right to make his/her own decisions - even if that means it's not what the parent would have wanted. It's a relationship where the parent allows the child the right to privacy and individuality.

Basically, it's a relationship where the parent doesn't treat the child as a "mini me", friend (in childhood), therapist, or surrogate spouse, and conversely, where the parent doesn't infantilize the child either.