Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Wedding gift for nephew

(59 Posts)
whatkatydid Fri 03-May-19 11:49:46

Hello. Our nephew is getting married in July. He and his girlfriend have been together for years, they're in their late twenties. Bit of background, we haven't seen him since his teens, mostly because of distance, but we hear all his news from his mum, my sis-in-law, who we also don't see much of because of distance, but do keep in touch with. We won't be invited to the wedding, which is absolutely fine as they're having a really small do for immediate family and close friends in a local pub, which I think is a great idea - no problems there! We would like to send them a small gift, though, just to say we're thinking of them and to wish them lots of love and luck. I'd rather not just send money, but I'm not sure what might be appropriate. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks. smile

annep1 Sat 04-May-19 23:38:01

Whatkatydid. Sounds like a good choice.

madmum38 Sun 05-May-19 00:40:12

What about getting some experience day vouchers? My daughter won some and there are so many different things to spend them on that there must be something that would interest them

Mcbab Sun 05-May-19 08:56:46

What I’ve have done in similar circumstances a couple of times is to give a voucher for a good restaurant so they can enjoy an evening out and a good meal when all the wedding fuss has died down. Seemed to go down well ?

billericaylady Sun 05-May-19 09:28:30

I agree John Lewis would be fab ♡

NanaPlenty Sun 05-May-19 09:54:11

A photo frame is lovely if you don't want to spend too much - something we seldom go out and buy for ourselves.

grannyticktock Sun 05-May-19 21:15:25

The reason many people don't go out and buy photo frames is that they have no use for them, or have enough already.

notanan2 Sun 05-May-19 21:23:28

Vouchers are a pain and either get left with money unspent on them or cost people to take them over the full amount. Some dont get used at all. I sell any we get on a voucher selling app, you get a % of the value in cash or can swap them for vouchers you will actually use.

Sounds like you are NOT actually "in touch" with this nephew. Talking about him to other relatives doesnt count. When was the last time you called him up directly?

IMO a card would be lovely. If you want a bit more: cash. You dont know him at all, you just know what some 3rd party mutual relatives tell you about him through their filters.

Alexa Sun 05-May-19 21:32:02

The soap thread has interested me and so I cannot think of anything much better than olive oil veggy soap in a pretty box