Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How do you occupy a Husband.

(58 Posts)
MiniMoon Mon 06-May-19 14:01:54

I need help! My DH had keyhole surgery to repair 2 hernias last Tuesday. He is driving me to drink!!
He is so active, that this imposed period of rest and recuperation is making him stir crazy.
He's not a great reader, and the tv isn't of much interest to him. His hobby is gardening, but he can't do that because it involves lifting. He's not allowed to drive for another few days so he can't take himself off anywhere. He has turned into the speaking clock ?.
Has anyone got any ideas about how he can occupy himself.
I offered to teach him crochet, but that idea got short shrift! Help!!

NanKate Tue 07-May-19 21:36:14

Get him to sign up to a FREE Future Learn course from Sheffield uni. Each course involves just a few hours a week for a few weeks course. I did one on avoiding falls. There are all sorts of subjects, history, health, art. I am sure there will be one on gardening.

Each course has short videos, quizzes, info in the topic. Someone on GN told me that had done dozens (well a lot) of free courses. You only pay if you want a certificate for £62.00 which some folk do if they are doing the course as part of their Continuing Professional Development.

annep1 Tue 07-May-19 22:15:49

Sorting photos sounds good. Its one of those jobs you plan to do on winter evenings and never get round to.

Littleannie Tue 07-May-19 22:48:25

NanKate- Your suggestion regarding free courses intrigued me. Having found lots on Google, I have looked at the free courses available on Open University. There are lots of interesting ones. I particularly like some of the Nature and Environment ones. I am definitely going to study some of these. A whole new interest for me. Many thanks for bringing these courses to our attention!

BradfordLass72 Tue 07-May-19 23:44:21

To anyone else interested in free, online courses, Google "MOOC" = Massive Open Online Courses.

Most of the world's top universities now offer courses using different platforms. I prefer Future Learn as it's easier for me to use with my dodgy eyes.

www.coursera.org/
www.futurelearn.com
www.edx.org/

I have done courses on everything from Forensic Science, Archaeology, History and Psychology to Nutrition, Computer Science and How the Brain works.

Pretty much every subject you can think of is listed.

Littleannie Wed 08-May-19 16:03:33

Thank you BradfordLass72 for the information. I am happily browsing.

SparklyGrandma Wed 08-May-19 16:11:39

Talking Books, with headphones? Netflix, with headphones?

His favourite music, with headphones?

NanKate Wed 08-May-19 19:02:47

I’m sure you will enjoy doing them Littleannie. Thanks Bradford for your further info.

I am going to do one on Mindfulness and Meditation when it is next on offer.