Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Room spray/fragrance

(36 Posts)
NanKate Mon 06-May-19 21:11:48

Any suggestions of good quality room sprays ? I checked out Jo Malone room sprays and was horrified at the cost. I will pay up to £20 but no more.

I like the smell of flowers but am not tempted by anything with fruit in it like grapefruit or lemon.

blondenana Tue 07-May-19 17:38:22

I love the scent of lilies, but because i have cats i dare not risk it, as they are very poisonous to cats
If i have ever been bought any i make sure to put them as high as possible, cant bare to throw them away
I also sometimes use an oil burner ,but again have to be careful because of cats

annep1 Tue 07-May-19 17:52:38

I use plug ins or oil burners occasionally. But I open the windows as much as possible. Thats the best thing to do.

PamelaJ1 Tue 07-May-19 17:58:39

I read that if an unnatural fragrance is heated then the damaging fumes do more damage.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-May-19 18:00:13

I thought that there was a suggestion that they are suspected to be carcinogenic

PamelaJ1 Tue 07-May-19 18:02:21

Yep, that’s the word I was looking for Whitewave.
Why not use essential oils?

Marian1412 Tue 07-May-19 21:36:30

Mrs Hinch. (Instagram blogger) covers eliminating odours in her book. Although opening windows will help get rid of the smells unless you use something to actually ‘eat’ odours they will settle back in to fabrics around the home. Think of a smoker’s home. Scientists have found that you need products that have odour eating properties that ‘eat’ the smells like Febreze.
Bicarbonate of soda works as well.

Marian1412 Tue 07-May-19 21:41:27

Mrs Hinch. (Instagram blogger) covers eliminating odours in her book. Although opening windows will help get rid of the smells unless you use something to actually ‘eat’ odours they will settle back in to fabrics around the home. Think of a smoker’s home. Scientists have found that you need products that have odour eating properties that ‘eat’ the smells like Febreze.

Marian1412 Tue 07-May-19 21:46:18

PamelaJ1 Fri 10-May-19 13:43:30

In the Times today.
A scented candle pushed the average pollution level in a private bankers home up from 1.5 to 37mcg/m3. The levels hit a peak of 99mcg/m3
A higher level of pollution than walking along busy roads in London.

annep1 Fri 10-May-19 17:29:29

Goodness Pamela! Who would have thought!