Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Not sure what to do

(105 Posts)
Rolypoly55 Sat 01-Jun-19 23:21:09

Rolypoly55

I am really struggling to keep quite. My sons partner is very verbal, never wrong, I am finding it difficult to cope with. She has a good heart in some respects but continues to pick at our grandaughter who is 5years old. I had an extremely hard upbringing, no love and picked on growing up and it really upsets me when she picks away. When I have my grandaughter we play quite happily and I have no reason to scold her, she has her moments but on the whole she's a well behaved girl.. If I say anything she knows best! She will get upset because she doesn't like to think she is in the wrong. She doesn't have many friends, my son says she has a good heart and means well but it's getting to the point where I don't want her at my house because I cannot bear to hear her niggle at my grandaughter, she has no right surely. I find it difficult because I have been there from day 1....she has no children herself and knows it all. O dear I sound awful moaning on but I am so upset about it all.

Rolypoly55 Tue 11-Jun-19 12:21:21

Moggi 57, She is my sons partner and he wouldn't let anyone not let me see my grandaughter, she has no experience of children and expects her to be older than her 4years. I just want to protect her, I wish that someone had been there for me. If I hadn't have spoken up things would have carried on and the damage is done, I am proof.

moggie57 Tue 04-Jun-19 21:09:32

she's not your child . i expect your gd has heard it all before. there will come a time when gd will speak up for herself. you have to let them get on with things .just be you ,look after your gd do fun things.but you have to stand back and bite your tongue ,because if you dont she might stop you seeing your gd.be wise and say nothing.

Madgran77 Tue 04-Jun-19 07:22:19

I am pleased for you Rolypoly. It shows that parents talking to their adult children about a concern is not always interpreted as interfering ...just as caring! flowers

PamGeo Mon 03-Jun-19 22:41:09

Lovely news Rolypoly, it can't have been easy but thankfully he took it the way it was intended. Your grand daughter will reap the benefits of a happier home flowers

TwinLolly Mon 03-Jun-19 22:30:15

Rolypoly55 well done for having the conversation which may not have been very easy.

All the best to you, your family and of course the DGD.

Tillybelle Mon 03-Jun-19 16:24:22

Starlady. I think the mention of the Social Services was as a last stop place if the OP was unable to bring about a happy resolution by other means. I don't think it was advice to do it straight away, but just so people know that the safety net is there if a situation becomes too serious.
When I make suggestions I like to set out a range of ideas because I don't know all about the people involved or all about the circumstances. I think the person asking for ideas and help is always able to know which suggestions will suit her situation best and will make the right choice for her.

3dognight Mon 03-Jun-19 13:46:09

Glad you are feeling abit more settled.

Yes some men do let woman in their lives do much of the hands on parenting and discipline, even if they are not the child's biological mother. This sounded the case in the first post. Glad you have had a chat and cleared the air so to speak, now I've read you're other posts.

Tillybelle Mon 03-Jun-19 12:28:58

Rolypoly55. Well done for the conversation! I am so glad it went well. It is great to hear how well your DS reacted and agreed it was his place to take the lead and make sure his DD was being treated well. I do hope he can get through to his "very verbal, never wrong" girlfriend! But then, if she loves him she will want to please him and should listen to what he says.

I agree with you that you will need to keep a close eye on your DGD. But your DS knows this so he will probably maintain his position of making sure she is treated well and the g/friend speaks to her kindly.

With every good wish for a very happy future and a close and happy relationship with your delightful granddaughter, who I sincerely hope grows up in a happy, loving and supportive atmosphere at all times. Elle x flowers

Joyfulnanna Mon 03-Jun-19 12:03:46

Don't! You will lose your GD and regret saying anything. I know the pain and consequences of doing the right and proper thing when you see something untoward. No one will support you and it will be used as a stick to beat you if you challenge anything. Take it from someone who knows. Best thing you can do is shower your dil with attention, and tell her what a good mum she is, yes you read that right. Do it for your gd sake so you can keep being able to see her. Devise coping strategies for your gd, like humour and lightheartedness. These are the tools she needs to cope with a critical mother.

Starlady Mon 03-Jun-19 11:35:06

BTW, I'm glad you didn't go to Social Services at this point. Emotional abuse is hard to prove aJund it might have led nowhere. Plus if DS and partner so much as suspected you were the one who contacted SS, your visits w/ GD may have been stopped. Unfortunately, that could happen even now, but, IMO, there would be more risk of that if they thought you went to SS. Just too drastic a step, IMO, if you hadn't really talked to DS first.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't advocate for anyone to tell someone how to parent their child or stepchild. But that changes when abuse is involved, whether physical or emotional. Once again, bravo to you for speaking up!

Sara65 Mon 03-Jun-19 11:34:36

Good for you, a weight off your mind I’m sure

Starlady Mon 03-Jun-19 11:29:15

So glad you had the conversation, Rolypoly, and that it went well. I'm also glad DS (dear son) realizes his child should be his responsibility. While it's not unusual to let a SP (step-parent) do some of the parenting, IMO, the bio parent needs to stand up for their child if the SP is being abusive.

It's possible DS' partner did not realize she was committing emotional abuse. She might have thought she was supposed to correct the child, and just didn't realize she has been doing it too often/about too many things. Or she may have a lot more/stricter priorities than you do, Roly. Also, given her lack of experience in raising children, chances are, there are things she really doesn't understand. She may get quite a big surprise if/when she has a child of her own.

Then again, she may be the mean, spiteful person some posters have suggested. She may be jealous of GD or see her as a reminder of your son's X.

Regardless, as others have said, the child has to come first. It was very brave of you to go to DS, and, IMO, GD is very lucky to have you in her corner. I just hope DS' partner listens to him and that this all doesn't backfire on you. You've taken a big chance, but, IMO, it was worth it for GD's sake.

If his partner changes her behavior towards GD, wonderful! If she doesn't, please keep being a positive, loving, encouraging force in GD's life. I like the suggestion of having her overnight, as often as possible, and building her self-esteem whenever you can.

Please let us know how things turn out.

Rolypoly55 Mon 03-Jun-19 10:37:59

You are so right, I am relieved that we have now had the conversation, yes we have to stand their corner.....

Rolypoly55 Mon 03-Jun-19 10:28:46

UPDATE
Morning everyone, I had the conversation with my son re my concerns. Has had the conversation last night with his partner already which I am relieved that something has been said.. He holds his hands up that he is the one who should have been taking responsibility, all too easy to let the woman isn't it. The conversation we had is private but left me feeling reassured... I shall be watching closely.... Come what may she is his 1st priority...... So pleased we had our chat. Thanks for all your feedback.... Our little ones are so precious,

Mamma66 Mon 03-Jun-19 08:43:37

I can really relate to this. My adult Stepson has three children, 7, 5 and 2. The eldest is actually his Stepchild but he has been her ‘father’ since she was 15 months old. Her biological father has no interest in her. My Stepson and his partner split 16 months ago and the children stay with us every other weekend. Almost all of the childcare falls to me (long story) but when my Stepson has any involvement with the kids he constantly snips at the eldest child, who is very bright girl and will verbally answer back (not rudely, but with that razor sharp insight small children often have). I have had a go at my Stepson about it and once a blazing row. When we were both calm I said I didn’t object to him disciplining her, but it was the way he bellowed at her. We had a frank conversation (I was treading more diplomatically than I now relate) and I made the point his behaviour was intimidating to a small girl. He did actually take it on board and there have been no further incidents. It is a delicate path to walk, but I always figure that the children need us to stand in their corner and so I do. Good luck in moving forward on this

Johno Mon 03-Jun-19 06:35:11

I agree with Bradford. YOU must not see yourself as some secondary person who happens to be passing by... the fact is, your son's partner is literally the one passing by. I would never seek permission. I would speak out and the devil takes the hindmost. Just sit her down and say... I wish to talk to you... I am not happy with your approach to MY Granddaughter ... I will not allow it... tell her how it evolves into a growing child. DO NOT tell her YOUR personal past history. It is YOUR duty to speak for the Granddaughter.

Rolypoly55 Mon 03-Jun-19 05:31:12

Hi, yes she is otherwise would have spoken up before, it's only recently...

Tillybelle Mon 03-Jun-19 00:00:29

TwinLolly I just can't go to bed without saying how moved I feel by your letter. I am just so sorry that your childhood and youth were affected by shyness, fear and depression. I too still have bouts of depression so I truly sympathise. Your letter is so beautifully written. I am sure that Rolypoly will be enormously helped by it. I think support from those who have had the experience and really know what it is like is the very best support of all. It is so kind of you to share the sad story of what happened to you and to tell us the whole life course that was the effect of your dad's picking on you.

You really deserve to be happy. I wish you every joy possible. God bless you. Elle x ?☀️?

Tillybelle Sun 02-Jun-19 23:34:34

BradfordLass72. Thank you! For putting so well what I struggled to say!

I hope my quote of "reading between the lines" in one of my replies above was not misunderstood. It referred to the time after I retired when I worked in a small charity and we answered letters and disseminated information to people who were victims of a certain type of person - bullies would cover it! We used to have to try and assess how much at risk our writer was on each letter and that's the only thing I meant when I used the expression"reading between...". What we did, anyway was never to assume a person was not at risk. We gave them all the options so that if necessary they had the info for dealing with a crisis. I was explaining that this experience - of giving all the info, was something that has stayed with me now I am retired. So I believe in letting people have somewhere to turn if things go very wrong, even if things don't seem likely to do that. It's just a safety precaution!

I just love your sentence so much I want to write it again:

That's the beauty of a forum like this which gives every spectrum of opinion and allows a pick-and-mix response for the OP.

Thanks BradfordLass72 You are a star! ⭐️

Tillybelle Sun 02-Jun-19 23:20:15

GoneGirl I do hope you understand what I said. I do use my experience as I am sure do you! But I am retired and am not doing anything in a professional capacity anymore! So please do not think I am here in any other capacity than as a friend on GransNet like everybody else who writes in.

I love the people who write on GNet, they are, in the vast majority, so supportive and kind to each other. This thread is a very good example IMHO.

It's only a few times that people ask me why I said something and this time I explained it was the "better to be safe than sorry" explanation that comes from my experience when I was working. I know people here often draw on the knowledge and experience of their working life so it's quite normal to do so.
(P.S. You and I have something in common!!)

BradfordLass72 Sun 02-Jun-19 23:18:20

When it comes right down to it, none of us are offering professional help, all we can give is our opinions and perhaps some helpful links along with our advice.

The OPs can give only partial information on their problems and we, from our own skill sets and personalities, try to come up with something helpful.

Reading between the lines is open to interpretation and often dangerously assumptive.

Thus it's great that some play devil's advocate; some suggest a bit of back-pedaling and others (self-included) want to stomp right in and take no prisoners!

That's the beauty of a forum like this which gives every spectrum of opinion and allows a pick-and-mix response for the OP.

Tillybelle Sun 02-Jun-19 23:03:38

Sara65. Make no mistake - I'm retired and I only offer my ideas as a friend also. I do some things from experience - like the safety angle I explained above. I was addressing why I sometimes tell people where to get help if things seem serious even if it doesn't seem to be serious, that's all!
You are right - I tried to explain, on the amount we have here we - all of us - can only offer our best suggestions and support, knowing that we don't know all the situation. That's what I tried to explain. The good thing is, there are a lot of people concerned to help and people with different experiences such as TwinLolly who can write what they know. Then the person needing help has an array of ideas and support and can use that which she knows is right for her situation! I always trust the people who write in. They know which suggestion is good for them and which is inappropriate. It doesn't matter if someone makes a suggestion that isn't right for the situation so long as it is made with good intentions and constructively. We don't have enough info to know exactly what would work. That's the whole point! We just do our best and leave it to the OP to know what will be useful for her.
But - it's important to me that you know I'm only here as a friend, like you and everyone else!

Sara65 Sun 02-Jun-19 22:42:29

Probably not Gonegirl, but I guess it’s always useful to have a professional opinion

Gonegirl Sun 02-Jun-19 22:25:21

Are we sure this grandma was actually hoping for "professional" help from a psychologist? Maybe a bit OTT.

Sara65 Sun 02-Jun-19 22:21:47

Point taken about other people searching for help in your reply