Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Not sure what to do

(104 Posts)
Grammaretto Sun 02-Jun-19 08:30:27

Stop being meek. Someone has to stand up for this little girl. One day she will be big and strong but not yet. You must stop this awful bully now.

Sara65 Sun 02-Jun-19 08:26:14

I agree with Bradfordlass

Your responsibility is to your granddaughter, you may be the only one fighting her corner, so you need to say something to your son , before real damage is done

BradfordLass72 Sun 02-Jun-19 04:27:32

I did answer on another thread but here goes again...smile

I don't subscribe to the idea that you should stand back and let them work it out themselves. Would you stand back if this woman was physically beating your grand-daughter? No, of course not. Constant verbal picking is just as damaging, as you know to your cost.

She is not this wee girl's mother, so your son should stop this constant criticism and not make specious excuses such as 'she's got a good heart'.

No, she hasn't, she would not be constantly carping at a little child if she had.

She's going to damage this wee girl just as someone damaged you.

This woman may do good things occasionally but so what? If she believes she is never wrong, then she needs to be told in no uncertain terms that she is constantly wrong when she is hurting a 5 year old with her tongue.

If you have to scare your son into action by telling him exactly what was done and said to you, and its consequences, do it.

You may be the only chance your grand-daughter has.

Rolypoly55 Sat 01-Jun-19 23:21:09

Rolypoly55

I am really struggling to keep quite. My sons partner is very verbal, never wrong, I am finding it difficult to cope with. She has a good heart in some respects but continues to pick at our grandaughter who is 5years old. I had an extremely hard upbringing, no love and picked on growing up and it really upsets me when she picks away. When I have my grandaughter we play quite happily and I have no reason to scold her, she has her moments but on the whole she's a well behaved girl.. If I say anything she knows best! She will get upset because she doesn't like to think she is in the wrong. She doesn't have many friends, my son says she has a good heart and means well but it's getting to the point where I don't want her at my house because I cannot bear to hear her niggle at my grandaughter, she has no right surely. I find it difficult because I have been there from day 1....she has no children herself and knows it all. O dear I sound awful moaning on but I am so upset about it all.