Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Daughter oroblems

(32 Posts)
Ngaio1 Mon 03-Jun-19 13:09:19

Hello, I am searching for advice since I have so much going on in my head that I could easily make a disastrous decision

My daughter (32) has some learning difficulties and is in a relationship with a transgender (now male). I don't have a problem with this per se - she can be trying and would not have the same, wide chance of a partner. The problem is this: the "man" has severe emotional problems and these become noticeably worse when he has been drinking. He is unhappy living where he is and, because of a recent incident, is not welcome at my daughter's flat or she at his. Before this they have been staying for some weekends with me and I was ok with this as it made her happy. Last week the police became involved and he was removed from my house. (I didn't call them - the authorities did).

Because they have nowhere to go they are pressing me to allow him back in my house and, probably, move in. Of course, that will mean that she will want to move in as well. Advice from friends and the police are not to allow this to happen. I really don't want it either. I know that things will become very difficult between me and my daughter and there will be a terrible atmosphere.

I desperately need an outside perspective on this - perhaps I should add that the incident involved violence and the police were adamant that I call them if I spot him near my house. The last weekend he spent here he was very drunk and was verbally abusive to me. I need to do the correct thing to safeguard my daughter - if they are under my roof perhaps I can better protect her. I am so confused.

M0nica Wed 05-Jun-19 17:37:05

Ngaio1, I am glad you have listened to the professionals and followed their advice. The hardest love, and the best love we can give our children at times is tough love, when we must stand up to them and say no, when every strand of our heart wants to scoop them them and do everything we can to make them happy again.

Be strong and I hope everything gradually improves.

phoenix Wed 05-Jun-19 17:52:01

Sending good wishes to you.

notanan2 Wed 05-Jun-19 20:47:04

Not a prayer etc, but hoping for a good outcome for you and your DD (and for the partner who hopefully gets the help they need too, but you need just concern yourself with you and DD)

Its very positive that the pros have a plan in place

flowers

Starlady Thu 06-Jun-19 00:32:20

Ngaiol, I'm so sorry you're going through this, but I'm glad you listened to the professionals. As a PP said, it's not just about protecting DD, but also about protecting you. Also, if they're not allowed to be at each other's flats, I assume the police don't want them together, period. Letting them get around that by moving in w/ you, would be defying the police in my view. Good that you decided not to.

Glad you changed the locks, too! I would even be wary of letting DD stay at my house for more than a few hours' visit, if that, b/c she might bring him in after a while. I know you love her and might want to see her sometimes, but IMO, that would be better at a neutral place, neither her house or yours.

In time, I hope, DD will realize this man is not for her. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for young women to have to experience a few bad episodes before they come to this realization. I trust you will be there for her when she does, no matter how long it takes. Until then, please be patient - and careful. Hugs!

Starlady Thu 06-Jun-19 00:37:50

"It's mother's privilege to try to direct her adult child's life. "

Hmmm... IDK about that. It's the kind of "I'm still your mum, so I can still tell you what to do" attitude that caused issues between me and my otherwise lovely mum. But ...

"How you do it is the key to whether it's right or wrong to interfere and circumstances alter cases....if you choose to forbid this man your house you will be helping your daughter."

This ^ I agree w/. Nor do I see it as "interfering." The OP has a right to forbid someone in her house. And yet, by exercising her right, she will, in fact, be helping her DD, even if DD doesn't realize it for a long time.

BradfordLass72 Thu 06-Jun-19 04:29:09

I hope it all goes well for you. I'm supposing you have a Trespass Order lodged with the police now. That doesn't stop him coming round but it does mean he'll be arrested if he causes any bother on or near your property.

As you will probably know the Ngaio is an indigenous plant of New Zealand and used in medicine.

This beautiful plant is a great insect repellent. It has been traditionally used to treat ulcers, skin eruptions, eczema, pain relief and bruising. It contains Ngaione which is a potent anti-bacterial, killing all ranges of bacteria

Carry on repelling unwanted pests Ngaio
grin