Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Life - some questions!!

(57 Posts)
Razzy Sun 09-Jun-19 22:52:12

So here I am mulling over life and I thought I need some input!

So, here are my questions!

1. What do you see as your greatest achievement?

2. If the answer to no.1 is your kids, what is your greatest non-kid achievement? :-)

3. What do you most regret?

4. What do you wish you had done earlier in life?

Feel free to add extra stuff too!! And no I am not a journalist before anyone asks!!

Baloothefitz Mon 10-Jun-19 22:33:19

Oh Netty ,how terribly sad for you ..to find your love & have him taken so cruelly away.

Razzy Tue 11-Jun-19 13:01:38

Some amazing stories and some terribly sad ones too.

HillyN Tue 11-Jun-19 14:53:38

1. Doing things with our 2 daughters when they were young that they now value so much that they want to repeat those experiences with their own children.
2.Getting into Oxford University to read physics. My teachers were gobsmacked. So was I.
3. Meeting my DH so young. We started going out together when I was 16 and any money from holiday jobs etc went towards a deposit for our house. I don't regret it, we've had a very happy marriage, but it would have been nice to have some money to spend on myself in my teens. I still feel guilty when I spend money on myself now.
4. Learnt to play a piano. We had one at home and my grandma offered to pay for lessons but I wasn't interested then. A few years ago I tried to teach myself but my fingers are too stiff now.

Floradora9 Tue 11-Jun-19 15:08:28

My DM once said to me that I had been a good daughter to her . What more could I ask for ?
I fostered babies who were going to be adopted getting them at a week old and loved them as I would have done my own . Also putting up with people saying how they could not do the same because it would be too hard to give them up . Did they think I was any different ? Many a silent tear was shed when they left. I still had one of my own in nappies at this time .
I think I was good at my job and enjoyed dealing with the public and it was lovely when someone came into the bank where I worked and said they were glad it was me dealing with them.

Dawn22 Tue 11-Jun-19 23:31:53

Hi Razzy
Good idea to give us the opportunity to do this. Mine are

One. Bringing up my three beloved Adult Children despite dealing with severe generational family dysfunction.

Two. Bringing a lovely child from Chernobyl for 11 great Summers to spend that time with my children.

In the last three years l have taken up a musical instrument which l enjoy and also to have some of my writing published in my local train station.

In 2011 l was conferred with my Masters Degree in Equality Studies as a mature student.

Keeping friendships for years upon years.

Three. Not standing up for myself and my family to my husband's mother and his family when l had better health and strength to do it.

Four. Not going to College in my 20's and letting my career slide somewhat due to family problems.

Dawn
Phew

grannyactivist Wed 12-Jun-19 00:11:41

My greatest achievement is having a marriage that, after more than thirty years, is still vibrant and loving, in spite of the odds being stacked against us and the dour predictions of many (including my own mother) who didn't believe it would last.

Closely behind that would be creating our wonderfully diverse 'family' of (now adult) children, some born to us, others who don't share our DNA, but are nevertheless much loved and who know that they are family.

I think it was Katherine Mansfield who said; 'Regret is an appalling waste of energy, you can't build on it - it's only good for wallowing in.' I agree.

I wish I'd learnt to drive much sooner than I did.