Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Turning a double mattress

(34 Posts)
craftyone Sat 29-Jun-19 17:02:16

hypnos singles, needing turning or flipping every quarter. Easy peasy knowing which way, wrote 1234 on appropriate ends in black felt tip

H1954 Sat 29-Jun-19 17:00:08

I used to turn mine over sideways one month and top to bottom the next month. By doing that I got his side and he got mine and then heads were rested where feet used to be respectively!

Got a new mattress now, bigger bed one mattress each which only require spinning round so top goes to bottom.

Job sorted.

Auntieflo Sat 29-Jun-19 16:58:39

Please Phoenix, what is a ‘beam me up Scotty?’
I meant to put that in the last post, but knocked a glass of water all over everything on the coffee table, blast etc, etc!

Auntieflo Sat 29-Jun-19 16:56:29

Oh Phoenix, when we had our old mattress, I had sewn coloured thread onto each side!,! 1, 11, 111, 1111.
Now we have a mattress that is so easy to turn, (at the moment) and just flip it each week, head to toe. It came from Spain, and has a woollen top, so we don't turn it over, unless I think it needs a change of scenery.

midgey Sat 29-Jun-19 16:51:57

Have you thought of a marker pen and marking the ends and sides? On the whole I think it’s far too hot to be thinking never turning a mattress grin

mosaicwarts Sat 29-Jun-19 16:47:53

I just pick mine up, pull it towards me and upwards, then push it back onto the frame so it's 'turned' over the once.

I know our heads are heavier than our feet, but thought the pillow would protect the mattress from any damage.

phoenix Sat 29-Jun-19 16:41:16

No budget for that currently kitty, trying to save up for a "beam me up Scotty" for the bathroom!

kittylester Sat 29-Jun-19 16:38:30

By a me.ory foam - you are not supposed to turn those!!

phoenix Sat 29-Jun-19 16:36:45

Hello all, and good wishes.

I seem to get into a bit of a pickle over this! Not the physical turning, but which direction confused

I end up doing a sort of "diagram" on paper, something like this:

Mr P Head. Phoenix Head

Mr P Feet. Phoenix Feet

Then I turn the paper over and sort of do the reverse........blush

My parents had a set of beds that had labels on the mattresses, top and bottom on each side (if you know what I mean) that showed the month and position, i.e head end, foot end (well, that's Harrods for you)

Anyway, I'm turning the mattress today, so, do I just turn over, making what was underneath now on top, do I also turn side to side, so what was on the left is now on the right, do I turn top to bottom, or what combination of any of the above? confused

Makesc my brain ache!

(And yes, just to pre empt any comments, I do have other things to worry about)